YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
do you hear boats?...I hear boats
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I've really enjoyed reading a number of cave diving books over the last 18 months or so and am really interested to see the different approaches people have to their kit for diving in overhead environments over the years. I'm running out of books to buy now...and so no matter what type of cave diving you do I think it would be great to see how you configure your kit and your thinking behind it.

I don't want people to start criticising other people's setups - I just think it would be fun to see, what people use, things they have made etc etc Reg necklaces, arm mounts, scoff bags, harnesses.

You might even get some inspiration!

You could even post some pics of things you thought were good - which turned out to be rubbish (for you) just let us know why/what happened etc.

Anyway please post some pictures here. Once I've got my suit back I'll do the same :)

Note: If you can't put pics up online to link them here just PM me - I'll send you an email address and you can mail them to me, I'll put them online and send you the link to attach to your posts.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Backmount or sidemount?

I'm not a DIR diver but I've been using a hogarthian setup for about 16 years for OC caving. Usually without a suit bottle (which I really dont see the point of if you dont need it).

For sidemount, Dragon harness, couple of cyklones, torches helmet mounted. Nothing fancy and none of that double bladder rubbish.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: irnbru

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
or setups for people who wish to immitate cave divers?

My cave setup being either:

1. Twin 12's - 2 Long hoses, bungeed. I tried hog looping, hated it, loathed it in fact, so went to something i liked, and it works for me.

or

2. Nomad - Sidemount setup

Neil

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@demonweb - yeah...it's just a naive dream ;) - ha ha ha popcorn!!...like it!

@neil)richardson - yep, any setups...it's all good!

@James The Badger - both

Have just only seen this morning a *tiny* rebreather from Hollis that Kevin Gurr has made - has a max runtime of 2 hours and is just nitrox, but looks interesting.

Don't forget if you want to post images just PM me if you don't have access to web space yourself - pictures will say a lot I think. I can blur out your face if you're feeling sensitive ;) or just not good looking enough!

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Clare - I don't think any slating was going on...and if mainstream guys want to immitate cavers I think there's plenty of good ideas that people would benefit from.

The UK cave guys have been diving is some of the most inhospitable places and they're kit has got them back out, so they must be doing something right.

I really like the Dragon and Farrworld harnesses (I'm sure there's plenty others) - sidemounting seems to be becoming a big topic in magazines now, and to me it just makes sense, why mess around with a manifold when you can have access to your 1st stages with no messing.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You might even get some inspiration!
An Inspiration would be an option but would suggest you get one with Vision :D

Then again, if you are serious about the idea of cave diving, you might want to try a cave course and see if you like it. After all, there is no point getting the kit if you aren't planning to do the diving.

One example posted here is this JJ CCR - my config with discuss of the reasoning behind it here http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/rebreather-miscellaneous/174165-my-journey-ccr.html

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Clare,

Jeez, bit sensitive arent we?? nothing meant from it my side....

Neil
Apart from the red you sent me Neil then. I'm guessing something was meant from that - and your quote that my post was 'offensive'. Good lord, you tell me not to be sensitive. You must be jolly busy sending reds if you find that offensive. Try reading one of the longer threads..... or anything Howard posts for that matter :)

I simply didn't see why on a thread asking for no posturing we got digs at 'wannabes' How do you know that a 'wannabe' isn't going to end up as a cave diver? Even if you don't was there really any need - did it add anything to the thread? I didn't see any 'non cave diver' posting on this - did you?

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Neil - don't think about...I honestly thought it was superb, that write up I link to was done pretty much a day or so after the course and 9 months or so on I don't think I would change any of it. I can only go from my own experience!

I just found the subject very interesting and got some books not thinking that I would ever actually do anything about it - the more I read, the more I just felt I had to do it. I hope to be able to fund another trip to go back down next year and learn a bit more with a view to diving some of the sea caves in St. Kilda (just one in a long list of places I would like to go that previously I would never have dreamed of going).

There's a great Wookey Hole book which tracks the history of diving/exploration there - Duncan Price did some of the work on that book, it is superb and Martyn has written a good few books as well - I keep going back to them. To me one person stands right out (I think it's in Diving in Darkness) - Jochen Hasenmeyer, some of the things he accomplished late 70's early 80's are - well, staggering.

So, yep - I would go on the course. To be honest I am not a brave person at all, and I never once felt I was getting in over my head - some of the training we did I thought (beforehand) I may not be able to do, but the reality was very gradual and relaxing...that's not what I thought I would have said either, but there you go. It's my completely honest account - I just wrote it because I just felt everybody should do it, it was so good!

Sorry - that all went off topic for a second!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Apart from the red you sent me Neil then. I'm guessing something was meant from that - and your quote that my post was 'offensive'. Good lord, you tell me not to be sensitive. You must be jolly busy sending reds if you find that offensive. Try reading one of the longer threads..... or anything Howard posts for that matter :)

I simply didn't see why on a thread asking for no posturing we got digs at 'wannabes' How do you know that a 'wannabe' isn't going to end up as a cave diver? Even if you don't was there really any need - did it add anything to the thread? I didn't see any 'non cave diver' posting on this - did you?

clare,

jeezus, get of your high horse will ya?? nothing meant... stop being sooooo agressive.

No dig towards "wannabees", and your term not mine, but, theres plenty of people out there who want to immitate cave divers or a cave diving setup, but dont dive caves, but have something to add.... Youre not being "elitist" are you???

Neil

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Kit for caving - helmet, lights, oversuit, fleece undersuit/ wetsuit, wetsocks and wellies, elbow and kneepads and belt :)

Kit for cave diving - Warmbac sidemount harness (modified), handed regs boltsnapped to bungy necklace. Straight gate, non locking crabs on bottom of tanks and bungy on harness boltsnapped to d rings for the tops of tanks.

May post pics of harness when I remember how! I am quite pleased with it.

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
No dig towards "wannabees", and your term not mine, but, theres plenty of people out there who want to immitate cave divers or a cave diving setup, but dont dive caves, but have something to add.... Youre not being "elitist" are you???

Neil
Neil, can you please explain exactly what a "Cave Diving Setup" is? You see, the thing is, I feel you may have offended me as I dive a rig that I have seen others take in the the deepest recesses of cave systems....and the most I've done is probably the tunnel at Vobster. I'm guessing that means I'm imitating cave divers so can you clarify?

Cheers,

G (Offended).

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
You know what - fuck it.

It's been a while coming but I see no point in contributing to YD or any other internet forum for that matter any more. I spend a morning writing up a report on a cave diving trip where we got to do something a bit special, and I laughingly thought may be of interest to cave and other divers. Then I get bullshit like this from people with a fucking agenda.

I've asked the MODs to delete the Florida diving thread - it is clearly of no interest on a diving forum. I've been here almost exactly six years - from my earliest diving life - but the board is full of cretins now who like scrapping more than diving. I frankly have better things to do with my time - and yes - I know - any internet forum doesn't need any individual member so I won't be missed.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Naomi S - thanks. You need to have pictures already online to be able to link them here (you can't attach anything as such) - if you like you can PM me and I will send you my email. I have a whole bag of webspace I can upload pics to - can then send you the URL...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.