YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I currently have a small BCD knife that I keep in a slate pocket, but have found it awkward to actually get the knife out on a couple of occasions, so I was wondering where you guys store/attach you knives ?

The knife I have came with a clip for attaching to a hose, one to mount on a BCD strap and the normal leg/arm straps. The ideal for me would probably be the hose, but being a travelling diver who takes regs as carry on this wouldn't be clever. My BC (TPII), doesn't have much room for attaching stuff, and I feel abit weird strapping stuff to my legs etc.

So please give me direction on this crucial bit of dive etiquette/fashion

The winning suggestion may be modelled next week at the YD week in....erm......Hull

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I don't use a knife anymore, trauma shears are the way to go, mine are on my wing waiststrap.

Still have my small bcd knife on my old tatty pool training Stab jacket, but it only gets used for making up sandwiches on the poolside

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I keep two knives plus trauma shears.

Knife one is on my wing inflator in a scabbard facing down. Easy to get to and also keeps the inflator negative.

Knife two is in a bit of hose pipe and is cable-tied onto the back of my umbilical torch.

Shears are in the drysuit pocket.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Mine's on my leg (the left one), never used the knife on a dive, trauma shears in pocket.

Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

My knife is on my waist strap - but it's a convertible that can be used as shears as well. Considering moving it..
Trauma shears live in my left thigh pocket

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Those people putting shears in their pockets - do you just leave them loose or do you have them in any kind of sheath? I keep mine in a BCD pocket, but I was paranoid about them accidentally stabbing a hole in it so I've got them in a little webbing sheath that keeps the blades closed.

Incidentally, I was horrified at the cost of these in dive shops - about £10, labelled as 'sea snips' in places like Mikes! I bought mine (packaged as 'tuff cut scissors') for £2ish from Maplins.

Tom

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Knife on my waistband.

Going to get shears for drysuit pocket, when I next go to market....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

I keep mine under the inflator hose pointing down attached to the webbing (bolted through) it is right out of the road there but can be reached in less time it takes to say "oops, I'm caught up"
I have had to use mine on several occasions. Leg mounting is next to useless and I like to have it very handy so don't keep in pocket. You need to be able to reach it with either hand.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I keep mine on my arm - shock cord holds the end near my elbow and the other end is held by my backup depth guage strap. That way I can put the lanyard over my wrist before I start the dive so there is no chance losing it. Mind you, I have never had to use it yet.

Trauma shears are on the other arm for the same reasons - dive computer and shock cord hold them in place.

Both are immediately to hand if required - I quite often use the trauma shears to cut away trailing pieces of fishing line and perks from wrecks.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Don't bother with a sheath for shears as the ends are blunt - they'll do no damage..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

On the waist strap of my harness,  trauma shears (unsheathed) in a thigh pocket.

Attaching to the inflator hose seems a reasonable place.  Whereever you put it just ask yourself if you could reach it if you had line wrapped around you.  

Daz

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I usualy stick my one in flat fish but occasionaly in the side of a wreck to prize the oysters off.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I have a Scubapro hook blade on my wing shoulder strap and a line cutter on each of my stage cylinders. so whatever hand I can use at the time I can always get to a cutting implement very easily. dont use a knife, we dont get many attacking sharks round these parts.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Oct. 29 2003,10:56)]Incidentally, I was horrified at the cost of these in dive shops - about £10, labelled as 'sea snips' in places like Mikes! I bought mine (packaged as 'tuff cut scissors') for £2ish from Maplins.

Tom
Even cheaper than that. Get a nursey friend to free a pair from the tyrannic clutches of the NHS.

Peter

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Oct. 29 2003,12:22)]Even cheaper than that. Get a nursey friend to free a pair from the tyrannic clutches of the NHS.
So now we know why the NHS is going bust- all those bloody thieving divers!

Dominic, one of the blades (bottom I think) does have a slightly sharpish point. Though you're probably right and it's not enough to worry about.

Tom
(my wife is a nurse by the way - but they don't use trauma shears on her ward...)

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the advice, I feel like a bit of a lightweight, only having one ickle knife. But I now know where to stick it. I think I'll have a look at mounting it on the harness by the inflator.

Cheers

Conor

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Mines screwed on to the left hand waist strap of my Transpac - just moved the d-ring along a bit. Falls easily to hand though it is only a small blade
Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts