YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahem...:D

Having taken a good look at how my harness is set up with regard to being able to reach those pesky valves properly I took to the pool last night.

I had followed the advice given in threads and links by Garf and other YD'ers of how to rig a basic harness set-up properly in order to give me a sporting chance of reaching my valves a little easier. Result being that I was thoroughly delighted to find that I was able to reach all of them with reasonable ease, albeit in my 5mm shorty.

Of course the next step is to transpose this setup but with a little more slack around the arm loops for use with my drysuit. Understanding how to do this properly from the advice given in previous threads I look forward to a sweaty night of drysuit wearing and harness altering tonight !!! :D

I do however wonder if my backplate is set a smidge wrong as with a horizontal profile and with head elevated and looking straight ahead the isolator knob is noticeable on the back of my bonce! My backplate has 3 options for height and I currently have it set on the middle holes and obviously moving it up to the bottom set of holes will drop the rig down 30mm or so. I could also rotate the isolator a little further away from its current 45 degree position to somewhere between 0 and 30 degrees. Or of course I might adjust my body attitude / trim in the water to be say 10 or so degrees above horizontal to be slightly more comfortable.

However..as a twinset newbie and before doing any of the above I thought it more prudent to ask a few opinions as to whether it is quite normal to have the valve sticking in the back of my head and it's just something to get used to. I'm sure that everyone is different and what works for one possibly won't work for another but I thought I would ask anyway.

On a final note can I thank those YD contributors who answer posts like these and provide such a great reference point for searches on various topics. Some time taken doing a bit of research in these archives provides a huge amount of info and truly makes YD a fantastic resource for the likes of us newbie wannabes :) Cheers guys :)

Graham

Reactions: 3141592654

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
my backplate is set a smidge wrong as with a horizontal profile and with head elevated and looking straight ahead the isolator knob is noticeable on the back of my bonce!
Well, done. That's absolutely perfect. Leave it precisely where it is :)

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
As Garf says - if you can reach it - leave it alone.

You will find the isolator may touch the back of your head - thats a good thing - as during a shutdown you know exactly where it is in relation to the centre of the back of your head (and you know where that is.. right? ;) ).

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Yep - same for me.

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one ! :D :D Thanks guys

Just a case of getting used to it a little then ! ;)

Cheers

Graham

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Nice one ! :D :D Thanks guys

Just a case of getting used to it a little then ! ;)

Cheers

Graham

Even cooler is, if you can develop an itch in the correct spot, being able to use your knob to scratch it! :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I hear that the 'superman shuffle' (looks like it sounds) helps to sort your drysuit out so that it is easier to reach the valves for shutdowns. Do it on the way down the shot, or general descent, and you should be set for the dive, god bless, it works too, have tried shutdowns with and without aforementioned 'shuffle' and it is a lot easier with.

I find that getting the cylinders as high as the backplate will allow makes it easier too.

HTH, Ben.

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update on this for those interested.

Having needed to only make a small alteration to the harness straps to accomodate my drysuit and layers I took to my local muddy puddle at the weekend. I was very pleased to see that I could still reach and manipulate my valves, albeit slightly more restricted as you would expect with a more bulky configuration than a shorty !

I did try moving the back plate down (so the tanks moved up to their highest setting) and actually found this a little more comfortable for the centre isolator placement on me noggin without affecting my trim noticeably.

All in all I'm extremely happy and Nic also spent time altering hers which, in similar manner, has transformed her ability to reach her valves too. :D :D

Thanks again for the input and advice :)

Cheers

Graham

1 - 9 of 9 Posts