YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Peeps.

I thought I'd just start this thread as "my own" so that every time I've been in the water and I'm dying to show off my findings I'll just post them here instead of starting a new thread. Feel free to comment on my pics or ask questions here in the thread or through PM. I do appreciate constructive critisism.

Here are a few I took today at Evenes, just south of the airport I work at. The site is a tongue sticking out in the ocean, which means you go in the water on one side, swim around the bend before you ascend on the other side, having moved about 20 meters. Brilliant site.
There are several walls starting at 0 going all the way down to about 30 meters. Visibility is normally quite good. Todays stats are: Max depth 28,6m, duration 61 minutes, temperature -5C air and +5C water.

Here's my buddy Erik coming down from the car:

Myoxocephalus Scorpius. Short spined bullhead. Quite common. Very patient.  

Some floundre. I can't tell these apart though I think this is a limanda limanda.

And finally a rather seldom find, for me at least, since they seem to be very shy. I was wondering if it was a ciliata septentrionalis, some sort of rockling.

Kyrre
Edit: English fishnames. Like Eric.  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>What a bloody good idea! Now I can easliy avoid looking at your pictures and driving myself daft with the unaffordable ambition to visit Norway!  

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Feb. 09 2004,09:14)]What a bloody good idea! Now I can easliy avoid looking at your pictures and driving myself daft with the unaffordable ambition to visit Norway!  
<font color='#0000FF'>It was with you in mind I did just that  

Actually, in relation to some of my other hobbies, we have our own "projects" folders in separate discussion rooms. That way important threads don't get lost with all the show offs. Like mine.

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I think Limanda limanda (dab in English) is right, judging by the lateral line (see second pic).
Not sure about Ciliata septentrionalis, though as I can't find a photo, just a very poor sketch.
Quotation from Fishbase:
Diagnosis:   Dorsal spines (total): 0-0; Anal spines: 0-0. Head relatively large, less than five times in SL. Skin fold above the upper lip with three pairs of lobes or small barbels. First fin ray followed by a row of small, fleshy filaments (Ref. 1371). One barbel on the lower jaw and four on the snout (Ref. 35388).  
I can't see the barbels in your photo.
The large eye actually makes me wonder if it isn't just a conger (Conger conger). Might that be a possibility?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 09 2004,22:12)]Quotation from Fishbase:
Diagnosis:   Dorsal spines (total): 0-0; Anal spines: 0-0. Head relatively large, less than five times in SL. Skin fold above the upper lip with three pairs of lobes or small barbels. First fin ray followed by a row of small, fleshy filaments (Ref. 1371). One barbel on the lower jaw and four on the snout (Ref. 35388).  
I can't see the barbels in your photo.
The large eye actually makes me wonder if it isn't just a conger (Conger conger). Might that be a possibility?
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for the comments John.

I saw the dorsal line so I agree with you there.

When it comes to the conger I really doubt it, since the fish only was some 10 cm long. I thought congers at that size were kinda glassy? (Glass eel literally in Norwegian). There are some barbels but the pic really isn't good enough to show them. It was a quicky through a crack in a rock. It's definitely not the fish you quoted so in my view it must be some sort of other rockling. I'll just have to go back and find it again!

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

This may be one of those occasions where the same name is used to describe different things in Swedish and Norwegian but glasål is the name for juvenile (approx 7 cm) comon eels, Anguilla anguilla, not juvenile congers, here in Sweden.
A classic example of the confusion between our languages, by the way is that you call the wolf fish stenbit whereas stenbit is the Swedish name for the male lumpsucker. The wolf fish is called havskatt (literally sea cat) here in Sweden. No wonder Swedish and Norwegian divers have problems agreeing on what they saw when they dive together!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>My babe is away for the week so I'll be in the water when I'm not at work. So here's another update.

Tonight we did a dive just about 150 meters from my house, a place none of us had been before. Fantastic divesite.
150 METERS FROM MY HOUSE!!!
Sorry. I just had to do that.

Aaanyway. Cold as usual, -7C in the air. Around 5 in the water. Tried putting surgical viny gloves under the 5mm neoprene three-finger-mittens and it certainly helped, although I did get wet inside as well.
Max 28 meters, about 45 min in the water. Boulders, walls, sandy bottom. Very good visibility. I could spend hours between those boulders with all the life there, so I've found myself a favourite divesite. Oh, did I say it's only 150 me...  

These guys were staring each other out.

Herman the Hermit with his well worn house.

First Wolffish of the year. February is VERY early. He probably lives there all year. Very grumpy, very worn teeth. I think we'll leave him in his cave. I've named him Adolf ...

Feel free to comment on the photos or image treatment. I just got Photoshop CS and I've tried out the shadow/highlight feature, but I certainly need to work on my routines.

Kyrre

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Great pictures Kyrre. Of course you realise that I'm not at all jealous of a dive site 150 metres from your house, what with me living in landlocked Staffordshire

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Ban this man! Just kidding, Kyrre. Great pics! I thought I was lucky having good diving only an hour away but you take the biscuit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 10 2004,15:42)]I thought I was lucky having good diving only an hour away but you take the biscuit.
<font color='#0000FF'>Just for the record. I know it may seem like bragging.. and in a way it is... uh. Can I just say that there are several disadvantages living in Northern Norway too?

Nevertheless I shouldn't really be surprised about finding a good divesite considering the view from my house. Thing is it's quite shallow close to shore and a harbour near by so I didn't think there'd be anything interesting nearby. Seems I'll have to do a full shoreline exploration by entering the water every 50 meters or so and do a full dive... I've had a look at the map and it seems to be lots of potential.

Here's the view from the house:

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre
Fantastic pictures. when are you going to invite us all over to your place for a photography field trip???
Might wait till the snow has melted and our fingers have defrosted a little.
Jules:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Feb. 16 2004,21:18)]when are you going to invite us all over to your place for a photography field trip???
<font color='#0000FF'>Actually I have, haven't I? Come on in August... or any other time for that matter. £250 Return with Norwegian Air Shuttle... Bring your gear, I'll provide tanks and weights.  

Kyrre

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Did a dive on the way to work today since I was working flex hours  

Turned out very flexi due to my buddy oversleeping. Oh well, gave me a good opportunity to search for new divespots and plan the dive properly.
Turned out that the plan went down the drain since the slight current went the wrong way and we kept kicking up silt which made us have to go against the current to keep the viz.
Stats: Max depth 26 meters, 58 minutes, 1C in the air. Silt made the viz actually come down towards 15 meters at times. Very uncommon for the season. Perhaps typical for the site?
Pics didn't turn out that good... seems I have to get a better torch in order to take those non-flash images. I really really really want a wide-angle too. But that's for my next camera I guess.

Meanwhile, here's Erik in a rare moment - NOT looking into the seeker of his C5050. (DIR-like buddy system. Sure
)

Erik closing in for the kill. He likes macro.

And finally the kill all alone. Perhaps I should superimpose a diver in the background to make it a divepic according to rules and regulations  

Once again, comments are welcome, especially hints and tips on either composition or post-treatment. The camera nor lightsource (20W Beaver cylinder thing) I can't do anything about for now.

Kyrre

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cost of air fill: £2
Cost of Diesel from my house to the divesite: 10p
Seeing Erik's face when I showed him this slug: Priceless

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Very, very nice pictures Kyrre - You have managed to make me feel really very jealous.

Does that last anenome shot look like it's licking its lips, or is that just me (actually it looks like something else too - but I won't go there
).

I wish I lived only 150 yards from the sea - ah well, just have to buy a big old 4x4 and in a few years the sea will be at my door.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Feb. 25 2004,19:05)]Does that last anenome shot look like it's licking its lips, or is that just me (actually it looks like something else too - but I won't go there
).

I wish I lived only 150 yards from the sea - ah well, just have to buy a big old 4x4 and in a few years the sea will be at my door.
<font color='#0000FF'>Yes, definitely. Don't go there  

Thanx for the comments. In a few years there's a good chance you'll be living 150 yards from the sea too. Pray for global warning.

No don't. But hey.

Kyrre

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Ended up on Belgica today as well. Erik got his new wide angle so I ended up being a wreck-model most of the time. Here are a couple I did though. Sorry for repeating myself, but I appreciate input on how to do my pictures more interesting, especially when it comes to cropping and balance.

I thought the idea was good but didn't quite like the outcome. That edge at the front is rather annoying:

Erik coming 'round the stern.

And one of Erik at the bow. BOY do I envy him his new wideangle. This picture could have been so much more...

Kyrre

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre
These pics are so so cool. I really like the one with the anenome and your buddy in the background (I thought the anemome looked interesting too in a female anatomy kind of way, beautiful really)

I loved the slug too, what sort of camera have you got? I think you told me once before ..

My underwater housing for my new camera should arrive on monday in time for Peter K's sound of Mull trip. Dunno what the viz will be like, wont be anything like you get!

keep these pictures coming..

jules:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Some pictures I took at Dronning Maud last Friday.

Haven't been at the stern before. Still intact it makes a cool sight.

Doing deco stops always leaves a bit of time to play with the camera - and buddies. In this case I wanted to do a group-shot with the boat above. Not easy getting a good one without a wide-angle.
Black and white cuz I never got the colours right in this one. Either it's too green or too blue. B/W it is!

As always pics were taken with my Canon S40 without any other gadgets. Photoshopping before uploading is compulsory.

And of course comments are welcome.

Kyrre

1 - 20 of 27 Posts