YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi guys

after reading about the welsh reseviors, i thought id seek an answer to a question similar.

me and friend want to dive Ladybower in Derbyshire.

has anyone dived it as i would be requiring info on access to the site and info on how to get to the church

thanks

Chris

·
Registered
564 Posts
Imported post

You can wade round the rubble of the village at the moment as the water is so low. But when its full diving in there is like diving in strong tea due to the high peat content.

nigel

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Imported post

i didnt even know u could dive the ladybower as regards to the flyfishing yep i think u may be rite on that 1 when u say the village u on about the one thats at the bottom where the workers lived ???i always thought that was classed as howden

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Imported post

hi ya guys ive been doing a bit of reading up on the village thats behind the dam wall !!!but still not sure if its allowable buy permit only???and where do u get the permits from?? ps i know ive mountain biked round the derwent and howden to the stone bridge just below langset moors and the water is full of what i would call a high peat content?? i bet its like diving in a cup of tea??any info would be much appreciated guys as wouldnt mind a bash at this myself

·
Creature of the night
14,153 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi YD,

I have not dived Ladybower but I did a dive a few weeks ago in Ogsden resevoir.

Despite having powerful torches after 6m you could not see a thing my buddy had to signal to ascend by pulling on my thumb

I would assume Ladybower would be similar.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Mark W
4,862 Posts
On a similar tack, though (and looked like it's got marginally better viz) is West End (near Pateley Bridge / Harrogate / Blubberhouses) which is also known as Thruscross reservoir. That definitely has a submerged village in it, as they had to remove the bell from the church because it would ring when the water level got too low.

I have a feeling Yorks. Water don't allow diving in any of their reservoirs, though - is that the case?

Mark.

·
His Holeyness
2,187 Posts
Hi Bantam

Yes, Yorkshire Water prohibit diving in all their reservoirs.

The village you mention, I had a walk around it '98 ( I think, the year the water levels were really low! ), all that remains is an old mill, the church is just foundations.

I wouldn't think the viz would be up to much either!

HTH
ColinM

·
Mark W
4,862 Posts
Oh well. It was worth asking!

It's a shame because there's loads of reservoirs round our neck of the woods (but as you say, probably not very good viz).

I had a funny feeling they'd razed the village. Still a spooky place, though.

IIRC there's also another submerged village between Shuttington and Tamworth in Staffordshire in one of those large reservoirs, but again I don't know if it's just urban myth (Some of my relations lived in Shuttington and told us about it). The ones fed by the River Anker.

Mark.

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,575 Posts
Welsh village

I did my AI course with a welsh guy who said there was a sunken village in a lake/reservoir near him, that was dived.

But I can't remember where in Wales it was or where he was from! :eek:

Not terribly helpful, sorry!

Blanaid

·
Mark W
4,862 Posts
Colin Marriott said:
Bantam

Isn't Filey Brigg a good dive site, and not too far from you?

ColinM
Hi Colin,
I'd heard that, yes. It drops off quite quickly to about 30m in places (although about 12m in average) and there's a decent wreck not that far off shore (the Eglantine). Also there's loads of life.
The only problem is the walk (if you're shore diving it). You have to walk quite a distance in full kit to get from the car park to the end of the Brigg.

However, if anyone's up for it then let me know!

Mark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well if i may say bloody hell too !
bloody hell always had a dream to discover what the village is like in The Ladybower from being an ickle lad !
Just done my open water and dry suit (don,t laugh) ha ha ha we all had to start some where !
Now my dream is very close but only to read ya can,t dive it or poor vis ! :cry:

My dreams have been shattered ! Looks like its the Cape or mi two weeks in ten In Tenerife to further my Diving
Regards

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,342 Posts
Woo time machine time :)
I love it when old threads resurface like this, I'd not read this one before.
I'd love to try and dive some of the places like this, Rutland Water would be another example, but its pretty much banned in all these places. Shame really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.