YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Taste Tester
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Anyone dived Lake Bala? Is it allowed? Is it sensible, or is it a peaty brown hole?

I'm just asking for a friend who's off there for two weeks with some Scouts and he was wondering if it was doable. I said I'd ask you lot, because if you don't know the answer, there probably isn't one :)

Many Thanks

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I've had a pootle about from the shore from the campsite on the side opposite the town. It was peaty brown but OK vis, loads of rubbish, very silty, a few titchy fish, not much to see. It was quite warm though.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
Peaty brown hole, not worth getting your gear wet. Viz measured in cm rather than meters.

Brown peaty bottom with nothing of inerest, best way to describe it was like diving in a cup of tea with out milk, and thats the good bits. Touch the bottom and you wont see your hand in front of your face.

For a laugh, try touching the bottom with your hand. Your hole arm will dissapear in the silt and you still wont be anywear near the bottom, just dont expect to see anything after though.

ATB
Gareth

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
haven't dived it but did a field trip with Uni there back in 1990 - a glass of the water was peaty brown, so viz will be pants (but probly better than redcar last weekend)

they do have an indiginous fish though, the Gwyniad

touristy stuff from a quick google.
Bala Tourist Information Lake Steam Train Adventure Breaks

probably better off canoeing/kayaking than going under the waves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts