YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone dived in Langkawi?

If so what was it like?
Is it ok for newly qualified OpenWater divers?
Can you recommend a dive operator?

Thanks

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Gunner

This thread should give you a good heads-up.

Yes; it is fine for newly qualified folk - I am sure they will look after you. We just booked our trip.when we got to our hotel.

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/for...196-langkawi-malaysia.html?highlight=malaysia

As I said dont miss the snorkelling at lunch as there is a hell of a lot of fish to see around the pontoon.

If you have any more specific questions, please shout.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snash,

thanks for the info. Our stay is only a stop over (4 nights) after spending time in Borneo and KL.
As you say it looks like it is worth a days diving.

However, I note that you stayed at the Tangjung Rhu Resort which uis where we are staying - what is it like?

Thanks

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
well, I am sure you will enjoy the hotel. We had a great time. it is very much on its own beach and quite isolated. When we were there it was only about half full and we often ended up having the beach to ourselves as most folk congregated around the pool(s).

Thats me below - in typical I'm British and "I Burn in the Sun" mode - you can see how empty it is - which was great for us.

Very friendly staff and great food. We were all inclusive which was great and meant we could try all the restaurants. There is an Italian* one upstairs, which is worth booking ahead for just to get the tables by the balcony - great sea views. You can also eat on the beach under a tent type thing (we didnt but it looked great).

Cocktails were good and the non-alcoholic ones at lunch time were great.

We had one of the Cahaya rooms which was lovely. We didnt have a sea view(as you had to pay extra for that) but that didnt bother us as the beach was only a 30 second walk away. The pools are great.

We snaffled all of the bath products as they smelled great (and have only just run out of them).

Basically, to sum it up - you are lying by the pool or on the beach and a very nice man walks up to you and offers you a skewer full of pineapple and water-melon - thank you; that'll do nicely :)

Oh yes - watch out for the huge monitor-lizards that are around (one lives under the decking near the reading room pool). They are humungous.

Grr, I am jealous already :teeth:

Snash

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone dived in Langkawi?
Thanks
Yes.

If so what was it like?
Not great diving. Poor vis even in season (November to March); even worse vis out of seaon (March to November). The island sits at the northern end of the Malacca Strait, supposedly the busiest shipping lane in the world, and the silt from that channel is what makes the water cloudy at the dive sites, which are about 30 km south of Langkawi. There are very few dive sites of any interest. At Pulau Payar (where the daytrips typically take you) they feed the fish or there wouldn't be any around. If you will have done any diving in Borneo at all, you will certainly consider diving Langkawi a waste of time and money.

OTOH, Langkawi is a very, very nice island to spend a few non-diving days on--pretty bays to the north and northwest, an interesting mangrove swamp to the east that's worth a visit, some good food (try Campur-Campur on Pantai Cenang).

Is it ok for newly qualified OpenWater divers?
Thanks
It's certainly shallow enough. The dives are not particularly challenging. If you can see, you should be okay. Be careful not to lean against boulders as there are a lot of scorpionfish on them, and they blend right in with the silt cover on the rocks.

Can you recommend a dive operator?
Thanks
Yes.

I've used both East Marine and Langkawi Pro Dive. I don't recommend East Marine--it's conveyor-belt diving; the Japanese like them a lot. Pro Dive is smaller, more customer-oriented and better suited to more independent western divers.

Pro Dive Langkawi
Lot 974, Pantai Cenang
Langkawi Kedah 07000 Malaysia
Phone Number: (60) 4-9553739
Fax Number: (60) 4-9553475
Email: [email protected] (no website)

Having said all that, if you are going to be on Langkawi during the dry season (Nov-Mar) rather than the monsoon season (Mar-Nov), you might try diving at the southern Thai islands of the Tarutao Marine Park. Koh Tarutao is just over the border from Malaysia and can be reached by ferry for daytrip diving. You can contact this op for more info:

Langkawi Diving and Sport

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info.

i forgot to say that we will be there towards the end of July.
Bearing in mind that this is possibly the worst time to be there (from a diving point of view) is it worth diving?

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks for the info.

i forgot to say that we will be there towards the end of July.
Bearing in mind that this is possibly the worst time to be there (from a diving point of view) is it worth diving?

thanks
I personally wouldn't bother to dive at Pulau Payar at that time of year. Unfortunately, the Butang season will have ended by the time you get there.

Burau Bay has places you can rent little catamarans to sail around the bay on. Lots of fun, and the wind should be just right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts