YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just been to lanzarote again ,12th time and have definately found the best dive shop on the island ,i have negotiated a discount of 10% for members of yorkshire divers ,just mention - mark from sheffield and yorkshire divers -this shop is the cheapest on the island ,thay also know dive sites the other shops do not know about ,and they are english ,if you are staying in puerta del carmen or anywhere else they will come to you and bring the equipment you will need ,with this shop there is no rush to get the dive over with like most of the shops coming out with 80 bar left ,it is very relaxed diving ,most shops say you have to pay 12euros for the recompression chamber which is not true ,you do not have to pay this with this shop ,the dive shop is in costa teguise and called Atlantida diving ,if you want any more info please e mail me

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I´m sitting about 4 doors down from them at the moment and using a dive centre across the road, they also don´t rush you out and don´t expect you to surface with more than 50 bar. They also have Nitrox and 15L cylinders, so i´m quite happy with them.

50 minuets on Los Enzos wrecks today :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am more than happy to pay money towards maintaining/ keeping a chamber open.
Not having to pay the 12 Euros is not a reason to go with a dive shop, if anything it would probably sway me not to use them....they should be actively supporting the local chamber!

·
434 Posts
I am more than happy to pay money towards maintaining/ keeping a chamber open.
Not having to pay the 12 Euros is not a reason to go with a dive shop, if anything it would probably sway me not to use them....they should be actively supporting the local chamber!
What do you pay your dive insurance for?

I dived with Safari Diving in Puerto Del Carmen and had to pay good ol' Vince this 'contribution'. He might as well have winked at me as he put it in his pocket. I'd have told him to go f**k himself if I'd known of another operation that didn't rip divers off.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
David, its a chicken and egg situation. The dive chambers wont get built unless ther is a fund to pay for it and the insurance Cos cant pay the bill until after its built and useable. The 12 Euros probably pays the interest on teh original loan that someone took out so they could build the chamber. Think of it this way, you want to build a bridge across a river, do you collect a toll before its built with a promise of free use after its built (ignoring upkeep of course) or do you borrow some money, build it then charge people when they use it and pay off the loan plus interest charges.
How many divers would be happy to pay for treatment costs, through their insurance cos, if no facility had been built but a promise of free treatment once it was built, after they had collected enough of the bent divers insurance premiums to pay for it?

Ok the other guy might be pocketing the money, but that is up o the Govt or whomever to regulate, if the local authority levy a 'tax' on divers then its up to them to ensure its collected, or in a few years there will be no chamber.

Matt

·
434 Posts
David, its a chicken and egg situation. The dive chambers wont get built unless ther is a fund to pay for it and the insurance Cos cant pay the bill until after its built and useable. The 12 Euros probably pays the interest on teh original loan that someone took out so they could build the chamber.
Matt,

I get it, I really do. But the chambers are there now. At least according to good ol' Vince; I never saw one (probably shouldn't be bitching about that fact). Where's the maintanence cost here? Whatever euros, twleve or so, per diver per week. Give me a break, that's taking the piss.

Think of it this way Matt; a bunch of divers arrive every week eager to put their new qualifications to use. Or even a bunch of non-divers who want to learn. Easy pickens for the canny dive operator. Welcome to the world of diving folks, says Vince as he heads up to the local supermercado to pick up a six pack. And I'm not even joking.

Plus the diving with Safari was utter rubbish. Something like 35 euros per dive, just lead, a cylinder and air.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as far as i have been told this fee does not go towards the chamber as you never get a reciept for it, where it goes i will leave it to you to come to your own conclusion , D A N have also told me you do not have to pay this .

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I think if you are planning your dive centre based on a 12 Euro surcharge you are probably not doing yourself or your diving credit.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
this a place im definaltly going to have to have a dive mi thinks !!

is there plenty of goood dive sites on lanzerote?:teeth:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to jump on this. Every dive centre have to pay a set fee each year and the way they get some money back is to charge a fee from you. This fee does not come from the chamber, every centre makes their own rule. You can see this very easy, since you never get a token or a receive for it. The money goes straight into the pocket from the dive centre.
Just asume you would dive one week up in the north and the next week in the south, than you had to pay twice, even if the first centre tells you the fee would be for one year or 6 months or a week. If there would be a set fee from the chamber, than you would have to pay every where and get some kind of token or recognition for it, and the fee would be the same all over the island and not somewhere from 8 to 12 euro.
If you think that a busy dive centre has a few thousends of costumers per year, believe me, the fee for the dive centre is not that high.

just my to cents

·
434 Posts
I have to jump on this. Every dive centre have to pay a set fee each year and the way they get some money back is to charge a fee from you. This fee does not come from the chamber, every centre makes their own rule. You can see this very easy, since you never get a token or a receive for it. The money goes straight into the pocket from the dive centre.
Just asume you would dive one week up in the north and the next week in the south, than you had to pay twice, even if the first centre tells you the fee would be for one year or 6 months or a week. If there would be a set fee from the chamber, than you would have to pay every where and get some kind of token or recognition for it, and the fee would be the same all over the island and not somewhere from 8 to 12 euro.
If you think that a busy dive centre has a few thousends of costumers per year, believe me, the fee for the dive centre is not that high.

just my to cents
I'm not sure I understand your point fully, Thomas, whether you are in favour of this charge or against.

But you make a good point about the missing reciept. If I had wished to go somewhere else on Lanzarote to dive, I would have been charged again. As it was, I was so unimpressed with the whole thing including the diving, it didn't occur to me to go anywhere else.

What's so annoying is just how obvious a rip-off this is. However, no 'contribution', no dive and I had taken all my gear over so paying up was really the only choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
David,
sorry that you had to pay. There are a few centres here they dont charge the additional fee.
If the fee would go directly to the chamber than I would support it, but like is it now, I dont.
Before I started working here in Lanzarote I was working in Utila, Honduras. There was also a fee for the chamber, but this was controlled and every day a person from the chamber came and collected the money, so the system was transparent, and if you been registered than you could change the centre and dont have to pay extra.
With regards to diving here, I love it maybe you just went to the wrong sites

Thomas

·
Registered
282 Posts
Diving Lanzarote

When I dive lanzarote I use calipso divers they are IMHO the best on the Island. Very profesional and know what you want and deliver. I'v only dived three times with them, but you get to know the good and the bad ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts