YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Has anyone dived this area (am staying at the H10 Rubicon Palace in July). I would be interested to hear from anyone who has and also would you recommend a dive operator in this area ??

Cheers

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi kirky
there are 2 outfits I know of in Playa Blanca but i don`t know if they have a homepage.
1: Las Toninas Tel: 0034 928 517300
2: Cala Blanca  Tel: 0034 928 519040
And there are a few nice Divesites in that area as well
Playa de PPechguera is a must it is close t the lighthouse.

Hope that helps
Michael

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Micheal - appreciate your info - am looking forward to being there.

Kirky

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You are welcome mate
Water temp will be at around 20 C to 22 C in July. I usualy use a 5mm wetsuit. Vis is around 20 mtr. And another divesite that is nice in that part of the Island is " El Emisario".

Regards
Michael

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Hi KIrky,
I have used Calipso out of Costa Teguise, they dive Playa Blanca and other sites in Lanzarote. Good outfit to go with, the more I hear of dive operators the more I realise how good those guys were. They seem a little lax and casual, but they arent once they are in the water. Peter (not on here!) runs the outfit, he's a Brit and they use two Instructors I liked, a welsh guy and a young girl whose safe, if only recently qualified (last year). Do Mala at all costs. North of the Island, hell of a walk down the 'cliff' though, worse coming back up, but well worth it!!
Have a brill time.
Matt

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Cheers Matt - am now really looking forward to it - do you know if they have a web site ??

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Sure do
http://www.calipso-diving.com/

Personally I dont think its up to much (the web site), the dives are better than they look. I did my OW with them in the Summer of 2001 and then went back the following Easter. Easter we saw rays and angel sharks - brilliant. Mala has a nudist colony, dont get excited, theyre all about 300 yrs old, but the best bit is you will be kitted in 5mm/7mm semis and hoods, theyre starkers - hows that work then. If you are used to UK waters the drop-off at Mala will I am sure excite you, it took my breath away. I hope I'm not building it up too much but it was that one dive that did it for me - hooked on diving totally after that. Try and do boat dives, I didnt but my mate did and enjoyed it, the Island is volcanic so shore dives are a struggle.
I didnt like Costa Teguise as a resort though, restaurants etc were fine but some of the people and the way they treated their children, not nice.

Last year in France, the Instructor was from Lanzarote and when the owner said we needed a check-out pool dive the guy took one look at our logs and said we didnt if we'd dived with Calipso and done Mala. The owner insisted, I didnt mind, better safe than sorry, but the viz in the pool was the worst we'd suffer all week. Ugh!!!

Matt

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Kirky
just remembered who it was I trained with, have a look at Calipso's web page on Red Sea diving in May - Andy Davies.

Even let me buddy breath (from his Occy) on the Mala dive his Nitrox, cost me a pint though! He drove a good bargain when I got a bit low, its a pint or your on your own I think was the phrase.
Matt

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Nice one Matt - appreciate the info

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts