YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm lucky enough to be off to Sunny Lanzarote (Playa Blanca) in the middle of October.
Any suggestions as to decent dive operations anyone's been with out there, and/or any decent dives?

Also, what's the water temp like there - is it drysuit material, or could I get away with a Semi-dry?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Ta.

Mark.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Bantam

Can't recall water temp, but you'll get by with a semi-dry, I did, and I feel the cold.

I have no idea of Playa Blanc dive ops, I have only used Calipso (twice), based in Costa Teguise, no good to you.

Adrian

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Calipso do sometimes use Playa Blanca so might still be of use but you're right Adrian they are out of Costa Teguise so it might be better to travel to them. Car hire and fuel is cheap plus it gives you the option of a bit of touring when not diving.
Water temps are pretty constant all year so a semi should be ok. Have a google for calipso ther sight has temps etc AFAIK.
Good crowd, make sure you 'do' Malla in the north.

Matt

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Sep. 15 2003,10:23)]Good crowd, make sure you 'do' Malla in the north.
Oh yes  

Peter is a BSAC AI, the setup does BSAC and PADI courses. As Bantam is a DL, one or two of the instructors might be grateful to have someone to dive with who they don't have to nanny. I certainly found this when they wer'nt busy. Gave them an opportunity to dive deeper/longer than their usual PADI clients.

Adrian

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I have been there twice and dived with Ken Minter who, at the time, was free lancing but now has (follow link) -
Ken Minter

His main base THEN was Safari Diving whose web site is easily found - they are based right on a beach in P. del C.

You will almost certainly do the steel wreck (P. del C. - on which I did my PADI Wreck speciality) and maybe the wooden wrecks beyond - if anything left now.

Ask to do the German nudist beach dive - no one is allowed to own a beach on Lanzarote so even though it is a private naturist resort you are allowed access to the beach. I saw things there I never want to see again. Dive was OK - mainly due to some "friendly" morays who expect to be fed.

I know when I was there I had a bloody good time and Ken was a good lad for a night out. He ordered for us one evening and my the "significant other" had a liking for banana liquor in cold milk. He ordered it (in the local language) and she ended up with a glass of hot milk with a banana on a side plate !! Well, you had to be there.

This was 6 or 7 years ago and he now has his own Dive Centre + I'm sure his grasp of the local language has improved.

Semi dry will be fine - temps will be available from the dive centre web site OR, go to Google nad search on Lanzarote sea temps - wou will get the info you need.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thankyou to all those who have responded so far. I'll take a look at a few of your suggestions.
BTW - Looks like we're lucky in the luggage stakes - Air2000 give us an extra 10Kilos for free for dive gear. Just have to make sure that it's all below 10Kg!

I just need to talk my wife into babysitting our daughter and letting me go diving.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

bantam - see my trip report on page 3 of trip reports. I recommend the dive outfit - -you MUST do the wrecks and cathedral at Puerto del carmen

PM me if you want any more info.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kirky @ Sep. 15 2003,17:47)]bantam - see my trip report on page 3 of trip reports. I recommend the dive outfit -
Cheers Kirky. I've sent them an e-mail asking about availability and if they can recommend a babysitter (as I'm sure my better half would want to dive too if she could get the chance).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts