YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Lanzarote, did two days of diving with Safari Divers (would have done more diving but with group of non divers on holiday!). Plus and minus points really! Diving was fab - massive groupers, angel shark, cuttlefish, usual small stuff. Dive sites included the Cathedral and Blue Hole. Safari Divers seem to attract a lot of Dutch and German clients, with the minority being English. First dive, the guide was buddying up with me but did not do a buddy check - when I reminded him of this, he said "I know what your gear does"!. Second dive on second day, my buddy who was instructor level seemed to wander off just when I had a bit of trouble. On a positive note, the diving was fantastic, Safari also lent me a mask when I had trouble with mine. But would def try another dive operation when I go back. You live and learn!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Nice Tip

·
Registered
911 Posts
I dived with them some time ago, they also buddied me up with someone who seemed uninterested in safety checks, the same guy during the dive was useless as a buddy or even to stay fairly close to the group, this was during a 35M wreck dive. I also agree that the majority of divers were German and Dutch.
Too casual for me in a sport where oversights cost!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did all my open water certs over in lanzarote last year, did open water with cala blanca dive centre in playa blanca my instructor (who was german btw) was a damned good instructor, friendly and helpful quite strict at times and no messing around my skills had to be spot on, wasnt the cheapest open water referral but it was damned good, after that i just wanted to get wet at every opportunity so thought i might as well do my adv open water and this time decided to go for the cheaper option with manta dive centre in puerto del carmen (couple hundred yards up the hill from safari), it was alot cheaper but the training was just as good run by a couple of friendly expats who made me welcome from the moment i walked through the door, instructors and training were good i was buddied up with another student but the instructors never went far and kept a close watch on us at all times couldnt fault either operation would recommend both without hesitation didnt experience none of the probs you guys did.

I wonder if you came across the same grouper i did over there sheila we found it down by a small wreck just off shore from safari diving centre bloody great thing it was didnt mind a tickle under the chin either aparently its been around there for ages, saw some cool stuff over there, cuttlefish, octupus, managed to find a lone seahorse on the night dive we did and watched a couple of cuttlefish feeding which was awesome

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the grouper!

I think anyway - same fairly mean expression! Great diving over there though. Viz was good which helps. I saw cuttlefish too, they are just so cute. Think there is a another thread on here from someone called Pauline ? and her dive report when she dived with Canary Divers sounds good - perhaps I will try them next time I am there. Sheila x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts