YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mrs vid is thinking about a new laptop - and has come up with the following spec on an acer

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
speed: 1.6 GHz
Storage (hard drive): 160 GB
Memory (RAM): 2048 MB

It's going to be used for a multitude of purposes, including work. Any comments or suggestions about the spec or acer in general?

it also comes with vista - is it worth getting xp instead?

thx very muchly
vid

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
I'll asume it's got the usual wifi, dvd rw all formats, 15.4 wide screen, 128/256 shared graphics ect?

If so it's worth about £500

I'd go for Vista only because it's the next generation from xp, I don't think it's better, but it does not make sense to buy older technology unless there is a specific reason to, like your main software does not work on it.

As for Acer, the product is ok, good even!, but if it goes wrong they can be a real pain to deal with, I personaly would not buy this brand after selling them and seeing what my company has had to do to help disgruntled customers at our expence because Acer would not.

Hope that helps.

James

·
Registered
452 Posts
acers

bought my daughter an Acer puter last Sept and not had any probs with it. hubby and I both have Medion ones. his I got at Aldi on an offer. even got a personalised cover on ours.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Morning David,

I have a 5630 which I bought from Comet in January and really like it. No issues, does enough for my photo editing and has long enough battery life. It runs XP MCE.

Regards

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
One of the places I work uses Dells and Acers.
The only person who had a problem with his Acer is a salesman who would have problems with a knife and fork. They are the 50% that I don't hear about.
Don't get me started on Dell though...

·
Not so New Member
253 Posts
I've got an Acer Aspire 1800 widescreen - only had minor niggles with it (one memory SODIMM got dislodged and the laptop was sooo slow, took awhile to figure out that was the problem, not the software I was running!)

My only gripes are the battery life and weight of the laptop. But my laptop is really a desktop replacement rather than something to carry with you everywhere and it was a fraction of the price a Sony.

Generally I'm very happy with Acer and would consider buying another, they can't be that bad since we buy them for people at work.

Jeff

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have had an Acer Travelmate 8000 series for 2 years with no problems at all.

I'd try and go for a 2Ghz processor and get the best graphics card I could.

It always pays (if budget permits) to go for as good a spec as possible.

Other than that make sure you upgrade your anti-virus several times a week, use a firewall and load free programmes like Adaware and Spybot.

Charlie

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I've just bought a hp one really impressed with it up to now only 575 i've got xp waiting in the wings if vista starts playing up fingers crossed on that though.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks folks for the feedback - it's given mrs vid something to think about
much appreciated

vid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts