YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone would like to dive a big wreck off Sunderland and give me a report as to what she might be? Don't know of any ships lost off Sunderland that big, either.

Length 145.0 metres Width = 35.0 metres Shadow Height = 8.0 metres
Lies in 46m at the lowest astronomical depth
5.22 nautical miles off Roker light

Anyone interested, please drop me a line.
Should make an interesting project;)

Cheers Ron

·
1/2 of slut divers
271 Posts
I'll make some enquires, no promises as I am a little fish in a big pond when it comes to getting through the polititcs of getting our RIB launched!

Nick

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
If anyone has a boat up that way and is struggling with crew to make this dive I would be happy to come along with one other.
It's a bit far to tow the boat though for me.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Hi Ron,

we spent two years diving south shields, it a long time a go now must be ten years ago , or more,

We did have some luck around roker light ,

About 3 miles out 2 wreck in about 40m not been dived at the time ,
Al the brass things still on board , then ,,, one with a gun on it ,

Ps
We gave Bob at marsdon dive shop, The helm , Bob did not find it as he my have you think , but he did help ,

We did dive a wreck about 5 miles of in just over 54m I think
Loss the old charts now and gps went with the boat , and i lost touch with my old dive budds ,

Only dived it the once could not make head nor tail of it at the time crap vis ,
But it was v flat only a 2m with a few bit up to maybe 5m but did not cover much of the wreck ,

Think it may be the same one . As we did a lot of pinging round there between slacks ,

good look with it, would be nice to know what we may have missed, :embarassed: I hope its not the JG s :)

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Steve,

Yes, I know Bob well ;)
There are quite a few other wrecks fairly close to the one I'm talking about, including one 90m long, but 145m is a huge ship and has to be well over 7000-tons. There are stacks of unidentified wrecks too, just wish I could dive now?
Incidentally, I was down the Sunderland fish quay last week and one of the fishermen had trawled up a wood and brass ship's steering wheel from the same area.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Hi Steve,

Yes, I know Bob well ;)
There are quite a few other wrecks fairly close to the one I'm talking about, including one 90m long, but 145m is a huge ship and has to be well over 7000-tons. There are stacks of unidentified wrecks too, just wish I could dive now?
Incidentally, I was down the Sunderland fish quay last week and one of the fishermen had trawled up a wood and brass ship's steering wheel from the same area.

Cheers Ron

Me thinks it may be time for a return visit , ocean road is calling me :)

Yes Bob was a good laugh and nice to know , splashily in the water , ha ha .
We used to dive of a old life boat , and a lad called Ralf , he was the foy man
All a long time a go ,

if some one can sort a boat and 10m vis I will jump in and look for you, :teeth:

There are lost out there still, along with all the spoils

best
steve

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Me thinks it may be time for a return visit , ocean road is calling me :)

Yes Bob was a good laugh and nice to know , splashily in the water , ha ha .
We used to dive of a old life boat , and a lad called Ralf , he was the foy man
All a long time a go ,

if some one can sort a boat and 10m vis I will jump in and look for you, :teeth:

There are lost out there still, along with all the spoils

best
steve
I know Bob, and Ralphie, and I am certainly not a stranger to Ocean Road :)

This wreck is a bit too deep for my capabilites but if you all end up this way give me a shout and I'll come say 'hi'.

BTW, Bob and Marsden Dive Centre have moved and are now the North East Diving Academy (NEDA) at Sunderland, situated at end of the pier in the harbour. He doesn't have his hard boat any more though.

Hxxx

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I know Bob, and Ralphie, and I am certainly not a stranger to Ocean Road :)

This wreck is a bit too deep for my capabilites but if you all end up this way give me a shout and I'll come say 'hi'.

BTW, Bob and Marsden Dive Centre have moved and are now the North East Diving Academy (NEDA) at Sunderland, situated at end of the pier in the harbour. He doesn't have his hard boat any more though.

Hxxx
is bob still around some one said he was living some place in the sun,
ps had a few good nights out with Ralphie , had me in some right dives ,
dos he still have a game of bingo at WM club for the big money :)

if i get out that way will def say hi , :teeth:

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
is bob still around some one said he was living some place in the sun,
ps had a few good nights out with Ralphie , had me in some right dives ,
dos he still have a game of bingo at WM club for the big money :)

if i get out that way will def say hi , :teeth:
Bob and Fay were all set to emigrate to Australia but when they got there their dog Harley couldn't get through customs so they came back. They sold their boat before they left.

However, they had kept Marsden Dive Centre going while they were away so when they came back they moved it to Sunderland and changed the name.

Hxxx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ron I think the wreck you are referring to is lieing North & South with the stern to the North.She is lieing in 43M. & is very complete from the boilers to the stern.
Going south from the boilers all the hull sides & superstructure are flattened & bare plates are left. After about 40m. the bow is in good nick but lieing on its side. I have only had divers on it a few times but finds have been very interesting. I have a Maxsea 3 dimensional seabed scanning computer & it has
built up an interesting picture of the wreck. I have an idea of its identity but still
need a little more information about some of the cargo found to be certain.
You might be the man to dot the I's & cross the T's.

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Divespellbinder

I'll drop you a line about this wreck, very interesting

Cheers Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts