YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have been working in Uganda on and off for the last three months.  My contract has now ben exteded for a couple of months.  I have been taking Larium as anti malarial.  I am booked on a liveaboard on the Great Barrier Reef in early march.  I had hoped to be clear of the Larium by then but it now looks like I will still be taking it when I go on holiday.  Are there ny issues about diving while on Larium?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

THis has cropped up before on another forum, IIRC the result of the discussion was to see a medical referee to assess any potential adverse reactions to the drug, there should be a link to the BSAC list of MRs at the top of this Dive Med forum.
HTH
Steve

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

Darren,

I investigated this one a while ago.  The only advice that I was given was not to dive within the first month of taking Larium.  Once you are sure that the drug is having no adverse effects upon you (other than the usual nightmares, mood swings, forgetfulness etc) then it is OK to dive.

I di a fair amount of diving in the 9 months that I was taking Larium and had no problems other than forgetting half of what went on!  

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Well, so far I have had no problems with the Larium, although we had a scare when one of my co workers went "off on one" while taking the stuff, full on psycotic event, very messy.

I did a bit of searching and came up with similar stuff, aslong as I havent had any probs then I should be fine,(I hope).

Thanks all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts