YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Nice picture in the papers today of Larry the 15lb. 3ft long lobster. Reckoned to be 40 years old. Caught by an angler off Dorset. Apparently they didn't have a big enough pot so they've given it to the Weymouth Sea Life Park.

I wonder if his mum and dad are around!!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

AIUI, it's very difficult to accurately age lobbies as their size is generally dictated by how well they've eaten over the years.  Though it IS safe to say Larry's  been around a good long time.
Reminds me of a time me & a mate (now the curator of London Aquarium) encountered a fungin enormous lobby  -not quite as big as Larry, but not far off- diving on Dover Harbour arm. Whilst I was shiteing meself he grabbed it, swam away from the wall and deposited it among the rocks away from the rest of us.
The bugger was probably back on the wall the following day terrorising more divers

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Bring it on I have the Pot. You think tey will Fedex it to me .....I`ll look after it
: ;):

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Ere dont they get tough with age or do they just get ard.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Really? I keep leaving the big ones for that reason!  Doug seems to think the big ones are the ones that do the most breeding so I'm happy to leave them.

Do aquariums want big ones?  There was that monster I was playing with last weekend before I went AWOL!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

This is what I caught last Saturday, In the Alderman Islands,
Corrimandal..
After his Photo Op, he was returned to the see for a nice bit of gossip with his mates, about being a star

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

And the above pic is a crayfish, please note no claws,
Just huge fighting spurs.
And on the same day a 30 pound red snapper
Not by me thou, that honour went to the skipper
Steve

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Jan. 09 2004,20:43)]Really? I keep leaving the big ones for that reason!  Doug seems to think the big ones are the ones that do the most breeding so I'm happy to leave them.

Do aquariums want big ones?  There was that monster I was playing with last weekend before I went AWOL!
I tend to leave the bigger ones as the shell can be very thick and a bugger to break. Tends to leave shrapnel all over the place.

Also I just take them big enough for 1 to eat, my SO don't like seafood.

Was that last one we caught tasty?

Adrian

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Why didn't they throw it back in... if they gave it to an aquarium there was no food on the table...I'm sure it would be better off at home.

I was watching Keith Floyd on sky a month ago or so and he was on a boat in Scotland and the divers brought up a huge lobbie....Keith (slurp) did the decent thing and bunged it back in.

He did a nice job with the rest of the catch in the small galley.

Graham

1 - 14 of 14 Posts