YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Have any fellow YDers undergone laser treatment for short-sight? I'm pissed-off with wearing specs, I'm a plumber and they get scratched to f*** in no time. I just wondered what the implications were as to time-out from diving, side effects encountered whilst diving etc
anyone any info?
                  Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

My wife had the LASEC surgery about 2 years ago and said it was seriously like a miracle for her. No implications for diving once the corneal flap has properly healed (which I believe can take 12 months). In the meantime you just have to be extra careful not to bump the cornea. Wear glasses at home fot a week or so if you have small kids who might poke you in the eye!

(Edited by Richard Harris at 3:20 pm on Jan. 26, 2003)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

Hi there Terry.

I am not going to to give you a load of "this can happen" stories, but I suggest that you check out www.lasikdisaster.com

As a side note between myself and Fee we do not know of any optometrists or doctors (including opthalmologists) that have elected to have this surgery, and we do have close friends and colleagues with a range of refractive errors from about +6.00 through to about -9.00

If you do choose to go ahead with this sugery pop down to your local LASIK clinic for a free assesment and ask the surgeon if he/she will be performiing the surgery and if they or anybody in the clinic has been zapped.

The very best of luck to you if you do choose to have this surgery.

Ian Daly

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Mate of mine had it done about six years ago, along with most of his family.  Reckons it was fantastic.  The only side effect was a slight starring at night, when looking at lights (i.e. a slight blurry haze around the bright points).

The price seems to have plummeted.  I'd be interested to hear how you get on...

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

My wife had lasik performed about 6 months ago.  She was told she could dive again after 4 weeks but should avoid any sports that could potentially cause an impact to the head area.

She is 100% pleased with the results and now dives with a normal mask (No more prescription masks for her).  After 3 days she looked out of the window at a car down the road and said I won't drive today because the number plate on that car is a bit blurry and I can only just read it.  (I could not read it at all ;) !!!).

Even having experienced the results second hand I am not sure if I would go through with it,  but it is easy for me to say as I do not live with poor eyesight every day and the inconveniences that go with it.

There are some real horror stories,  but there are many, many more success stories.  I guess really like anything it is a risk and it depends on whether you are willing to take that risk.

I would suggest you go for a free consultation to discuss the risks and the implications and weigh up the benefits.  Remember for every 100 success stories there will always be some real horror stories like any operation.  

HTH
Darren

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

I had PRK, or photo-refractive keratectomy a few years ago with fantastic results  (I had a very short sighted prescription).  I do not recommend LASIK. I am happy to explain why offline.

One of the reasons that many optometrists will not have laser eye surgery is because they cannot take the chance of obtaining a less than perfect result as they rely on their eyesight very much for their job.  You will rarely find someone in a Laser clinic who has had the treatment.

Email me offline and I will be happy to go into more detail. I did very extensive research for a full year before deciding to go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts