YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

laser eye surgery

694 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dan Wilko 
#1 ·
hi yders, im booked in to have eyes zapped at end of this month with optical express in manchester. are there any more comments as to how good/safe this is nowadays, would probobly be lasec with wavefront. wavefront is where the computer scans your eye and supposedly fixes whats wrong with each individuals eye, also so the bumf sais is 25x more accurate. they say its about 98-99% success rate. i cant really decide even if im going to have it done untill i speak to the surgeon on the day,cheers andy. comments.

#7 ·
hear hear

That scares the willies out of me. I hate wearing glasses, but can't get on with contacts. Yet I can't quite bring myself to let someone point a laser at my eyes with that chance of failure. Anyone doing the lottery must see 99:1 as a dead cert.
My thoughts exactly. My greatest ambition is to wake up and be able to see the ceiling.

Good luck with the op and please keep us posted.

#3 ·
A friend of mine had Lasek and Wavefront last December and he is now back diving after a 3-4 month break and happy with the results. The wave front removed a bar across the eye that caused some astigmatism. I understand the pain afterwards is more than with Lasik, but that the risk of complication is less. Though 98-99% still means 1-2 in 100 have a poor result.

That scares the willies out of me. I hate wearing glasses, but can't get on with contacts. Yet I can't quite bring myself to let someone point a laser at my eyes with that chance of failure. Anyone doing the lottery must see 99:1 as a dead cert.

With regard to the break in diving, wouldn't it be better to wait until Autumn/Winter?

Adrian

#4 ·
hi adrian, figured it would be betterto get it done now befor summer hols as that gives me 3months befor 2nd trip to sharm,and then should be ok for diving out there, and be able to see pretty fishes. as eyesight not totally crap iv'e heard that should provide better results.

#5 ·
My eyes are -4.0 and -4.25 or thereabouts. Milk bottle bottom time. I hate to think how much would have to be burned off :(

Would be nice to have 20:20 again. My mates is now 20:30 - he can see at 30 feet what others can see at 20. Basically the extra small lines at the bottom of the chart.

Best of luck with it.

Adrian

#6 ·
Hi Andy, I had my eyes 'done' by lasik about 5 years ago now. As far as I know they still can't say much about the long term impact but I've had no problems whatsoever and have gone from -6.00 and -4.75 to +/-0.00 and -0.25. The actual op isn't the most pleasant experience but no worse than a bad trip to the dentist. I sound like an ad now but I can't believe how good the results were, it's the best money I've ever spent. I had mine done with Ultralase in Manchester btw.

#8 ·
I have 20:20 :teeth: lucky me, but my mom has to wear strong glasses (well contact lenses now) she always talks about laser eye surgery but she is concerned about the long term (20, 30, 40 years down the line)

#9 ·
after lazer surgery , I'm 20/20 in one eye and the other eye is buggered. I have had 3 ops on it, (lazik, flap lift and lazek) , it is currently 20/50. with lenses it can get down to 20/40 . You do not want this, it means even with glasses you can not see. Oh an as well as the lact of acuity there are high order aberations which give ghost images/ star bursts etc.

I'd say it was a bit like going into hospital to have you legs lengthened and them having to amputate one.

Good luck

Tony

ps first op was lazik with wave front and ended up with wrinkles on the cornea. I think lazek is lower risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.