YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell 3110CN laser printer and Dell are doing a special offer for a full set of high capacity cartridges for £410.

I have seen better offers from other suppliers - http://www.printerinks.com/PI-130034/Dell-LaserJet-3110CN-Laser-Toner-Cartridges-UK.htm

My question is, has anyone had subsequent problems using proprietry cartridges instead of the manufacturers recommended ones in their laser printer?

As always, thanks to all in advance of your replies.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I've used PC World ink cartridges in an Epson printer (it was an inkjet) and I was very disappointed with the results and always by proprietary cartridges now.

I'm not sure about laser printers. How much are the no-name cartridges? Because that is the price of the risk if it all goes wrong and you have to get Dell ones.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used PC World ink cartridges in an Epson printer (it was an inkjet) and I was very disappointed with the results and always by proprietary cartridges now.

I'm not sure about laser printers. How much are the no-name cartridges? Because that is the price of the risk if it all goes wrong and you have to get Dell ones.
It's about £30 + one extra cartridge + free delivery .............. I suppose.

I've email the bloke at Dell my finding and I'll wit to hear whet he has to say or type.

The printer was just under £1000.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Looking at Dell's website and the no-name guys I reckon for the sake of £50 or so I would go with Dell. That's just a personal thing though.

Having said that Dell's website seems to be a better price than the £400 you're quoting. Unless I'm not making a complete set of cartridges up correctly. What does each set contain?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at Dell's website and the no-name guys I reckon for the sake of £50 or so I would go with Dell. That's just a personal thing though.

Having said that Dell's website seems to be a better price than the £400 you're quoting. Unless I'm not making a complete set of cartridges up correctly. What does each set contain?
3 colours and 1 black.

I think the within Dell variations are dut to inc/excl VAT and delivery and whether they are high or standard capacity cartridges. The offer I received is for high capacity. The sales person will be calling me back later.

Oh, good score on Asteroids by the way. I really enjoy a game now and then.

Bryan

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Local printer place will refill laser toner cartridges at a fraction of the cost of new ones.
The question is "are they any good after refilling" .............. do they cause degradation of the printer heads or .....................?

Oh, FI, I'll just get the proper ones ............. it's not as if I'm in need of something else to wory about!

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a laser printer. There are no print heads. You have a roller that's electrostatically charged to pick up the powdered ink then fused onto the paper.
Yes ........... that's what I said ......... the printer head thingy? :) Whatever its technical appellation is, can it be f*ck*d up by using manky ink?

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Yes ........... that's what I said ......... the printer head thingy? :) Whatever its technical appellation is, can it be f*ck*d up by using manky ink?
The bit you're talking about is the drum. Which you replace occasionally anyway.
And here I have reached the limit of my knowledge about laser printers. I do get called about once a year by someone and the conversation goes like this:

Them: Hello we are doing a special offer on 10 high capacity laser toner cartridges at only £75 each. Shall I put you down for a box?
Me: We don't have any laser printers
Them: That's a considerable saving on the normal price
Them: We accept credit and debit cards
Them: excellent. A box for you then?
Them: or 2 boxes? They're even cheaper then and we can get them to you for tomorrow

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The bit you're talking about is the drum. Which you replace occasionally anyway.
Or the transfer roller, which is part of the toner cartridge. They are fine till someone puts inket labels through them or similar. Unfortunately all these recycling plants do for toner cartridges do is sell them back to the manufaturer, who re-fill them and sell them on again, often with knackered transfer rollers. It's not uncommon to put a brand new toner cartridge in and it puts lines all over the page.

Exactly the same happens with main brand or clones, I'd use clones.

Danny

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or the transfer roller, which is part of the toner cartridge. They are fine till someone puts inket labels through them or similar. Unfortunately all these recycling plants do for toner cartridges do is sell them back to the manufaturer, who re-fill them and sell them on again, often with knackered transfer rollers. It's not uncommon to put a brand new toner cartridge in and it puts lines all over the page.

Exactly the same happens with main brand or clones, I'd use clones.

Danny
Rats ........... I've just ordered the Dell ones. :(

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I would stick to the Dell ones.....if it comes to a warranty claim you could be in deep shit if you have clone cartridges.

You pay a litttle bit more for OEM cartridges because you get the back up, they are produced to the manufactures specs and you have a path to escalate problems.

If you are using someone elses toner then the manufacturer will blame that for your problem. The toner seller will blame the printer. Where does that leave you?

Don't start me on clogged fusers, burnt out coronas or jammed augers......

Neil
IBM High Function Printer Instructor (in the dim and distant past)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.