YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Late Availability Dive Holiday on YD ! - Would You Find it Useful ??

• Yes, as a 'Nice to Know' to Peruse and May Use it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Definitely, Very Handy Tool!

• No, Not Really.

• Wouldn't Use it as I Book Regularly Ever Year Else where.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

OK YD'ers,

Just kicking a few ideas around with Jay and 2Tanx.

You may have seen other fora and their attempt's at providing a similar 'Late Availability' section for dive holidays.

What is your experience of them and do you, would you ever use them?? I know I have and have had some top week's diving as a result.

You'll be aware that 'Da Guvvners' are always looking for new ways to improve the site and provide a better service to you, the members.

So please voice your thoughts in the above poll and we'll see what we can do about getting the inaugural 'YD Troop Gig Abroad' - venue TBA - off the ground  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>So would the companies advertising give you a cut then? You could send the money to RNLI! Being altruistic of course!
jules

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Funnily enough, I regularly flick to the home page of Handbag net to see what the cheapest offer to Sharm is...  Might save me a click or two.

By the way, what happened to the DIY forum idea?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Heads Up Posted on June 05 2003,17:35 :
OR I could use the money to subsidise the costs of running a free site for all you lot!!
Hey Jay
Just say the word mate and we will have a whip round to cover overheads.
I’m sure regular users would be willing to chip in with a donation.
A lot of us run our own sites so know the costs, domain name-hosting etc etc.
One quick collection might clear you for a couple of years.
Let us know where to send the cheque and it’s in the post.
Cheers
Bob.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>good idea bob!
Shall we have a whip round at anglesey?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Cheers but thats where the fleeces and polo shirts come into the equation. I love YD being FREE and if I can raise funds by doing things like the clothing etc (more to come by the way - hats etc) then I'd prefer to do that (also it means that you guys become walking billboards for us!!)

Thanks for the thought though

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jay

Back on the subject of a holiday section. Could you not get sponsorship money from the holiday companies to advertise their holidays. That way you get pennies for your troubles, YD stays free, and the companies get cheap advertising.

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

We are thinking along those lines at the moment Peter - Bren is working on some ideas and approaches and hopfully we'll be able to negotiate something with a few operators. We'd also like to be in the position of organising YD trips abroad once or twice a year - Red Sea, liveaboard doing the N irish and Donegal coastline etc.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Do you think the biscuit tin will ever extend to a YD Dive Boat. If we all chip in I'm sure it could be organised. The whole troop on 1 boat in the Red Sea. I wonder if an RYA prt 2 would cover it.

Peter
PS-Nice boat though. It should be safe enough in the Gulf.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

You wouldn't need a Chinook with that boat. It's got a catapult on it so you're able to sit on your bum and go for the ultimate in jump entries. From Sharm to the Brothers in one swift pull of a lever.

Peter.
PS-Apart from that Chinooks are meant to be buggers to control. I think for the sake of comfort I'd rather have  THIS

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

not too manuverable for picking you up though, and a chinook could take you straight to your club castle / clubhouse for the bacon and beer later!

plus where could we park our aircraft carrier in Nottingham?

(as you may be able to tell several pissed hours have gone into the chinook vs aircraft carrier debate)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts