YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Thanks for adding me to your group. I'm relatively new to the game (23 chilly dives all at Stoney Cove so far) at the tender age of 57 and looking forward to getting some salt water action soon. I did my Open Water at Stoney Cove and my AOWD and Dry Suit specialty with Northampton Divers (also at Stoney Cove).

Also, I thought I'd share a DIY diving gear project that recently worked out rather well...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/james-solomon/pony-taming-for-beginners/1553339218317338

Cheers.

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Welcome to diving mate. I took it up in 2005 at the age of 48 and I've enjoyed a lot of diving at Stoney. What I learned at Stoney enabled me to dive successfully up at Scapa and I've now racked up about 10 trips, with another planned for October.

Never regretted a penny spent, and there have been a few. Dabbled with SCR and CCR (I have a Drager sitting in the van as we speak) but I'm probably most comfortable on OC, preferably twin 12s

Enjoy every dive, I always have, even the ones that went a bit south!!

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
You might want to consider doing the enriched air certificate and then plan for the rescue diver cert, most of the others are surplus to requirements apart from possibly Wreck Diver.

·
Registered
46 Posts
terryjh58,
also remember that in UK "salt waters" no-one checks your certificates ^^
Only Nitrox/Tx cards are required by most of filling stations due to H&S regulations...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! That's what my dive buddy has been telling me. I imagine I need a few more dives under my belt first?

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Getting the rescue cert is like passing your driving test, it's all about confidence. With 23 dives under your belt you should be confident in the core skills (buoyancy, breathing control, finning) so perhaps you should discuss with your dive buddy whether you are ready for the rescue course.

I always took the view that every dive was a learning opportunity, particularly if things went wrong. I did a dive on the Markgraf where the shotline ended at the wrong bit, when we started to come back up the line some knobs had collapsed the float so it was at 20M and then to make life fun I ran out of gas in most of my cylinders. Could have panicked, certainly got pissed off when I tried to deploy a new crack bottle DSMB on a new Kent spool and dropped them....watching £200 disappear into the gloom is so lacking in joy. Anyway, kept my sh1t together and with the assistance of a mate with a 10L side slung made a controlled ascent. The lesson there was manifold: you can NEVER have too much gas and it is a good idea to practice deploying DSMB.

As I said, back to Scapa in October, put that on your to-do list, you will never regret it. Diving on WW1 battleships is unforgettable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I didn’t think it was so difficult to sell a car until I ran into a problem myself. He asked https://junkcarsus.com/ for advice and wanted to sell his old Chevrolet at a bargain price and as quickly as possible. I am very grateful, wonderful company! Professionals work, very clearly, politely and most importantly - quickly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts