YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally I get nasty red marks from my drysuit neckseal (not an allergy, just where it rubs).

It looks pretty unpleasant and hurts a bit too. Is there anything I can do after the event to speed up the healing process? I've been putting Nivea on it - it feels nice but I'm not sure it's actually doing anything!

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to get that as I have very sensative skin ha ha. The only thing that really worked for me was moving to a neopreen neck seal. Since then I have never looked back. Cheers Mark.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I used to get that as I have very sensative skin ha ha. The only thing that really worked for me was moving to a neopreen neck seal. Since then I have never looked back. Cheers Mark.
Why? Is the neoprene neck seal too stiff?

:)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Oh FFS, my first reply got lost ...... just as well .......... no one likes pervy jokes anymore. :)

This has come up on YD before and I believe the answer was to apply a 'barrier cream' before donning the suit. If I didn't imagine that tpost I'll see if I can find it ......

[edit]NB has beaten me to it.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Kirstie,

You'll probably find that your neck might still be tender from shaving. Try some manly shaving foam, or just don't worry about the 5 o'clock shadow and don't shave as much.

Happy to help. :D:D:D

Stan.

Reactions: Finless and Kirstie

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kirstie,

You'll probably find that your neck might still be tender from shaving. Try some manly shaving foam, or just don't worry about the 5 o'clock shadow and don't shave as much.

Happy to help. :D:D:D

Stan.
Thank you, Stan.

I was going to buy something nice from M & S for our boat lunch on Sat. You can make do with a Happy Shopper sausage roll now.

:D

·
Diver
84 Posts
The dreaded "hangmans neck" I too suffered with this after years of trouble free diving !
I tried allsorts of cures and preventative measures, even changed the seal ! But still I suffered, work collegues think I got a bit carried away with some sort of bondage type activity, but I wouldn't know what they're talking about !
So I gave up and bought a new suit, a neoprene one with neoprene neck seal, job done, fixed, cured !
The marks or scars too ages to disappear.

·
Well Balanced - Bitter and Twisted !!
1,987 Posts
Apollo bio seals I think they are called , its an under seal to stop the latex doing its worst.

For promotion of healing....Sudacrem its a bit obvious but I think it works, works on babies nappy rash, might help stop it as well.

I had it so bad once people at work thought someone had tried to strangle me, I blamed it on the wife!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used to suffer from this. It suddenly started to happen to me after a few years diving so I do wonder if your neck gets gradually sensitive to the latex seal and starts to mark more easily than it did before.

I tried those Apollo bioseals - they didn't work for me at all as I found them impossible to 'seat' under the neckseal. They're kind of like a jelly so while they seem like they'll really work well in the dive shop I found it nigh on impossible to stretch the neck seal over them - they'd stick to the neck seal and ruck up and move around. Never managed to get them to work under a neck seal even once.

Like other people on this thread I switched to a neoprene one - that solved the problem completely.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I buy silicon grease from a plumbers merchant for a few £ and it lasts a few seasons.
I smear it on the seal and it stops the hangmans noose look and it has no real detrimental
effect on the seal.

taz

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
ALoe Vera, preferably fresh from the leaf.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts