YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Although only 90mins from Brid, we travel to the south coast most weekends due to the lack of decent launch sites on our coast.  Does anybody know of a GOOD launch for a 6m rib for access to Brid bay?
PS any news about the proposed marina for Brid?

Regards

DaveH

·
Registered
257 Posts
Imported post

There is South Shore A huge open beach with a concrete
slip. There is also North Landing at flamboro. This one is down a long steep hilland is a bit stoney / rocky. Both have access to a tractor though for an extra fee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I've used south shore once or twice, but after suffering £1500 quids worth of boat damage at Hornsea I'm now paranoid about beach launching.  Give me a nice cosy harbour launch like Seahouses or West Bay anytime. That's what's missing from our coast, decent access to all those loverrly wrecks off brid & the humber.  BTW TAZ, do you think that if word gets back to UKRS that we have been cavorting here in private, people may get the wrong idea!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Imported post

I've launched from Scarboro harbour berfore but I think its a high water launch / retrival.
I had a nasty expierience at Withernsea once when we were swamped and over turned by a large wave.
As for UKRS Shhhh I won't tell if you don't.
taz.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Welcome one and all to Yorkshire Divers, looking forward to meeting everyone eventually.  Nice job with the site headsup.

I have launched at Filey .very satisfying shallow diving there, plenty life and interesting rock formations round Emperors Basin.  No problem with launching either, very easy.

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Apparently you can launch at Hornsea for a small charge.  There is also a tractor facility for divers to use.

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

ask cut throat jake - he's got an old humber with a 30hp engine.  we have had it out from filey last summer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Just a quick one.. 24 members yet only around 7 or 8 profiles registered .. I think the Lads have done a fair crack at organizing a good site int intrests of us yorkshire lads n lasses and t scuba diving ! There seems to be plenty of you out there who wish to remain anonymous .. whether youre a diver or not .. maybe just intrested.. lets make this site a worthwhile community - register your profiles and give the site owners a bit of feedback  

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

Best place to launch for brid bay area is South beach, Bridlington. For £12 ( £6 for slip access(Council!) and £6 for the tractor) tractor will virtually float you off your trailer (no expensive boat damage!!) and recover you at the end of the day. The boat area has hose pipes to wash down boat etc and tanks so you can run your engine in fresh water. Overnight you can place you boat in the secured compound for £5 for the weekend or £10 for the week. The launch hut will provide you with a list of 27 accurate GPS marks for wrecks accessable Brid, albeit a couple are 30 mile off shore(pilsudski, probably the best wreck in the area - ex liner). Slack is between 1 and 1.5 hours after high water brid depending on how far out you go 1 hour at about 8 miles. There is a cafe on site and plenty of car parking. Air can be an issue as the only source is an ex diver who runs a compressor from his electrical shop, however has been known to close for the day without warning. Best plan for a days diving is a wreck on slack (neaps if you need to get two waves in) and then a drift around Flamborough Head. A note on safety - last return to south beach is one hour before sunset. If you are over that time they will start a visual search for you, at 30 mins before sunset they will put out an all ships bulletin at sunset its the S&R boys!

I'm am currently compiling a database of east coast diving in Autoroute format. Yes I know its an odd format but it allows me to see where the wrecks are relative to one another and work out distances, costs, travel times etc. With this in mind does any one have a copy of dive yorkshire for sale? (yes I know it's out of print and rarer than rocking horse do-do). I am particularly interested in the wrecks a bit further out around dogger bank as they are not dived so often. Failing that anybody fancy donating their GPS log?

Keep diving

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

Try Cleethorpes beach and the Humber Estuary and approaches for safe launch and retrieve under most marine conditions. plus loads of wrecks in sensible depths (Bottom time on 21% 45 minutes) viz variable, sea state smooth to horrendous. Watch the tides and wind. JMD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

Try Cleethorpes beach and the Humber Estuary and approaches for safe launch and retrieve under most marine conditions. plus loads of wrecks in sensible depths (Bottom time on 21% 45 minutes) viz variable, sea state smooth to horrendous. Watch the tides and wind. JMD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts