YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We set off Sat morning for the dive I have being wanting to do for the last 12 months, The Laurentic.
Well I was a bit aprehensive now the day had finally come, I have never being to 40m in Irish waters, so the plan was to stick to the shot have a quick look & see how we feel, and back up.
Anyway down we went, at about 25m we could see the wreck, I couldn't believe the shear size of it, simply amazing and with great viz. Then like a prat I left the shot before the tie off and went down to the boilers, loving every minute of it.
Well Jane gives me a bit of a bollocking, and back we went to find the end of the shot. Another little swim around the shot I even saw 2 port holes, then up we went.
I must say we truly loved the dive and for a change it lived up to my expectations, and I can't wait to give it another go.

Thanks Ken

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Nice dive, ain't it Ken?

Let us know when you're heading up again!

Reactions: 861-218

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I have never being to 40m in Irish waters, so the plan was to stick to the shot have a quick look & see how we feel, and back up.
Then like a prat I left the shot before the tie off and went down to the boilers, loving every minute of it.
Well Jane gives me a bit of a bollocking, and back we went to find the end of the shot. Another little swim around the shot I even saw 2 port holes, then up we went.
Surely this was a flaw in the dive plan? If all OK shouldn't you have stayed down until an agreed time or min gas amount?
I'd give Jane a good ticking off if I were you? :):):)
:angel:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surely this was a flaw in the dive plan? If all OK shouldn't you have stayed down until an agreed time or min gas amount?
I'd give Jane a good ticking off if I were you? :):):)
:angel:
Hi M8, the plan was to stay in sight of the shot,stay away from deco & back up the shot :teeth:
Next time we will be a bit more adventurous, now that we were happy at that depth.
We have only being to 40m a few times in the Red sea:embarassed:
Thanks Ken

·
I see Red people
1,186 Posts
Was there much to see on it cos i saw a video of it at the weekend and it looked fairly broken up and i wasnt that impressed i thought it would be more recognisable as a ship
We are due to go up there the june bank holiday weekend

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Hi M8, the plan was to stay in sight of the shot,stay away from deco & back up the shot :teeth:
Next time we will be a bit more adventurous, now that we were happy at that depth.
Thanks Ken
Have fun next time! :)

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Sounds like a nice dive :)

Reactions: 861-218

·
Registered
616 Posts
We set off Sat morning for the dive I have being wanting to do for the last 12 months, The Laurentic.
Well I was a bit aprehensive now the day had finally come, I have never being to 40m in Irish waters, so the plan was to stick to the shot have a quick look & see how we feel, and back up.
Anyway down we went, at about 25m we could see the wreck, I couldn't believe the shear size of it, simply amazing and with great viz. Then like a prat I left the shot before the tie off and went down to the boilers, loving every minute of it.
I must say we truly loved the dive and for a change it lived up to my expectations, and I can't wait to give it another go.

Thanks Ken
Hi Ken,

Sounds like you had a good dive and the Laurentic can offer an insight of what lies off the coast of Malin Head.

The Boilers as you say are well worth a look and with a couple of guns and a small armoury it's a good wreck dive, true it is fairly flattened but there are still some of the bigger portholes 'Door Size' left on the ship.

The Laurentic was one of the biggest gold ships ever and it is claimed some of the Gold bullion still remains in the wreck??

I would advise caution before bringing up Gold bars as some of the local divers have gone to the trouble of melting lead into the shape of a Gold bar and painting it a Gold colour so give it scratch with your Knife or something to check it's Gold before you bring it up, I believe one bar would be worth about 100,000.00 Euro in todays market......

Laurentic still gets my vote and well worth a dive when in the area or the offshore stuff is blown out.

Regards

Barrie

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Thanks Ken

its a nice simple wreck dive glad you enjoyed it , last time i dived it we had 20m vis :teeth:

·
Tenerife's only Rec, Tec & CCR Centre
367 Posts
Hi Ken,

The Laurentic was one of the biggest gold ships ever and it is claimed some of the Gold bullion still remains in the wreck??

I would advise caution before bringing up Gold bars as some of the local divers have gone to the trouble of melting lead into the shape of a Gold bar and painting it a Gold colour so give it scratch with your Knife or something to check it's Gold before you bring it up, I believe one bar would be worth about 100,000.00 Euro in todays market......

Laurentic still gets my vote and well worth a dive when in the area or the offshore stuff is blown out.

Regards

Barrie
Oh no the games up!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts