YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

we are planning a trip to layang layang from singapore, probably 5 days or so in late june or july.

Has anyone been and can give any recommendations or advice? Also, have we picked a reasonably good time of year to visit?

Hammerheads would be nice, but i have conflicting stories about frequency of sightings and the best of time of year.

any advice is much appreciated

regards

Roy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Roy--I've been to Layang-Layang twice. The dives are great, and while there is a chance you will see scalloped hammerheads, the mass migration will have long since finished. I don't know what reports you've had, but the fact of the matter is that the hammerhead migration takes place in April/May. June/July is a fine time to go, though, and there's a lot more to see than hammerheads off in the distance.

Recommendations:
--Make sure you take your log book with you. The dive staff will ask to see it.
--You are required to have an SMB. If you don't have one with you, they will sell you one.
--Leave your dive gloves at home. You won't be allowed to wear them.
--Take ear plugs for the charter flight from Kota Kinabalu. The plane is tiny, hot, and very noisy.
--Take almost no luggage other than your dive gear. The resort is not extensive and is just a dive hangout. No need for shoes at all (take only flip flops), and two pair of shorts/a few t-shirts is all you will need. Pretty much everything goes inside the plane with you.
--Take a bag of snacks. There's a lot of food on offer, but no a-la-carte service. There's a mini-fridge in the room where you can store drinks.
--There is no shop to speak of, so if you will need extra batteries, sun cream, panadol or any other little thing, you should take it with you.

Advice: Do try to get into the lagoon for a few dives. It's shallow but there are some interesting critters in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts