YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just returned from a week in Scapa & the 1st stage on one of my bailouts developed a leak :-
On the flat end on my Jetsream 1st there appears to be an allen keyed plug but air is bubbling out of this at a reasonable rate . Is this terminal ? any idea what causes it/ cures it ?
TIA

·
Registered
130 Posts
Colin, I used to get this a lot with the Jetstream 1st Stages.
The 'plug' you describe is actaually an over pressure relief valve. Under the allen key is a spring and rubber seal affair. This is just another protection built-in to the system.

As you are probably aware, the Jetstream hose also has a o/p device on the end of the hose crimp. The Cycklon is a downstream valve anyway.

I digress....

The most likely cause of this is the 1st stage main valve and h.p. seat not sealing, thus causing a gradual 'creep' on the Interstage Pressure.

Either a service by a good Poseidon Technician, do as I did with my 6 sets - SELL THEM!!!

Regards

Enzo

·
Banned
6,840 Posts
............ do as I did with my 6 sets - SELL THEM!!!
I am in Enzo's corner here! - I sold my Jetstreams back in Jan and bought some more Cyklons.

Jetstreams are for deep diving and to be switched over to at depth which is where they come into their own. The servicing is far too expensive for them also

Cyklons are Poseidons best all round general reg IMO

Haver neved looked back since I sold my Jetstreams! I now own 8 set of cyklons and a couple of Apeks sets

..........On the flat end on my Jetsream 1st there appears to be an allen keyed plug but air is bubbling out of this at a reasonable rate . Is this terminal ? any idea what causes it/ cures it ?
TIA
The allan key hole is where the IP is adjusted by screwing up/down the diaphragm spring under it, the ambient water pressure enters directly here and controls the IP coming from the secondary side of the 1st stage. The problem you describe is unlikely to be terminal, just a dismantle and clean then reassemble and set - at most a new spring or/and diaphragm! If the valve is not seating then the replacement service pack parts and ultrasonic bath should sort it unless the internal valve body is knackered for some reason but unlikely if you've been treating you regs carefully!

If your'e clever enough you can adjust the IP yourself using a spare SPG - but I won't tell you how!

I am not a guru on reg servicing though so I'll step out here!

·
Playing on the net instead of working.
164 Posts
Greetings

Poseidon Service Technician here.

I Agree with most of what's being said. You're interstage pressure is probably too high or your overpressure spring needs replacing or there's some crud under the green overpressure seal.

Can't understand the jetstream v cyklon servicing cost argument.

1. The first stage service kit is the same (yes I know about the magic O-ring).
2. The second stage service kits are different but cost the same.
3. Labour time is the same.

Whoever is charging a higher fee for a standard service on a jetstream over a cyklon is ripping you off. I'd like to hear the reasons (just out of interest).

Granted there may be cost differences when it comes to replacing worn parts like bladders, diaphrams, servos etc.....

Attachments

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I managed to find my IP gauge today & open valve & we have a solid 9.5 bar so time for a cup of tea & a rethink them ?>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oh I forgot to turn of the cylinder & when I went back 1/2 hour later the IP was 18 bar !!! So tomorrow the LDS is getting a phone call to reservice the 1st stage for the 3rd time in 4 months :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
164 Posts
Well I managed to find my IP gauge today & open valve & we have a solid 9.5 bar so time for a cup of tea & a rethink them ?>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oh I forgot to turn of the cylinder & when I went back 1/2 hour later the IP was 18 bar !!! So tomorrow the LDS is getting a phone call to reservice the 1st stage for the 3rd time in 4 months :angry: :angry: :angry:
Ask them to take a close look at the 1st stage piston. It may be worn and might need replacing.

Also, ask that they leave it pressurised for several minutes with an interstage pressure gauge attached to make sure there's no 1st stage creep.

·
164 Posts
Having given it some thought.

It probably won't need a full service. Just a repair.

Make sure you don't get ripped off with the old favourite.... "It'll need a full service mate and two complete service kits @ £7.95 each"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.