YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My evil ND suit has developed an annoying leak. After every single dive im wet around the crotch/left waist area and into the leg below on the front only.

Soaked to the point i need to wring suit and socks out after every single dive and i can feel the water gathering in my crotch on a stop.

I THINK its a leak on the seam but buggered if i can find it.

Ive blocked the suit up, inflated it like a zeppelin, squired all over with soapy water but cannot find a stream of bubbles coming out anywhere at all. Its codura so small bubbles everywhere from that.
I've just wasted 3 hours trying to find this hole.
Last year the suit was sent off to be pressure tested and was told theres no problem - i cant afford to be without a suit for 2-3 weeks this time so its not an option again.

Anyone got any other techniques for finding a troublesome leak in a suit like this one ? Its driving me mad and soapy water just isnt cutting it.

Also whats the best way to fix a leak? Glue inner tube along the inside seams with Aquasure?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think you will find thats a classic neck seal leak.Try putting a thin towel around your shoulders and see if it gets wet.If the towel is not wet after a dive then you need to look else where.
hth
Mark

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Definately not the neck seal, the entire upper half of my body from waist up, front and back is bone dry.
Im wet on waist area and into the legs, crotch/left hip around that line.

Also i get wet just holding the boat off without getting in water more than 5ft deep all day.

Edit:- Picture added.

Red is drenched, yellow is damp

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The water often runs down the inner side of the suit then hits a seam and then spreads.I had the same problem as you and John snr at Divers W/house told me how the water migrates in the suit without wetting other areas.Try the towel it will give you an answer.
cheers
Mark

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neck seal just about impossible as im getting wet in the same area on days where im not diving and havent gone above mid chest depth in the sea at all (ie boat cox)

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
Hi String,

Having a similar problem which just got catastrophically worse on Sunday (bugger). I have an old Vortex3 (9yrs old now) which started giving me damps man-bits last year. Pressure test after pressure test revealed nothing.

We now think it is coming in through the DF connection which has been getting more and more difficult to attach. We think this because **** F saw my chest farting as I was tring to remember the signal for "My F*****ng drysuit is filling up and I am more pi$$ed off than I should be because the vis is great!"

A leaky DF would also explain why there was no leak detectable with the suit pressurised.

Might not be the problem but it is probably worth a look.

Regards & Happy Hunting
Midnight

Reactions: 861-218

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fairly sure its not the inflator as entire upper body is dry and again, i get it when in water below the valve height even without dive gear.

Have also sprayed it with soapy water while filling in the garden today and no bubbles.

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
Have also sprayed it with soapy water while filling in the garden today and no bubbles.
Blimey, I knew Wales was known for heavy rainfall but wearing you drysuit to do the gardening? Sounds like you have trouble with Moles!! You ask Jasper Carrot.... "There's only one way to get rid of a mole...."

Regards
Midnight

·
400 L
277 Posts
Other home test method

I have seen the guys at one of our LIDS do this:

Let suit dry. Inside and out.

Turn it inside out. - boots down the legs.

Now find one or two mates to hold it above suit waist level.

Fill with water.

Look for water coming through to the Inside layer (now on the outside).

If seen then mark the spot.

Neil

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Have got a swivel inflator fitted? I was getting soaked in my ND Divemaster, thought it was from the inflator so striped it down cleaned it re-assmebled it, still getting wet, tried another inflator from an old suit that i knew did not leak but again was soaked. Put non-swivel inflator on and hey presto dry as a bone, every dive now.

Dont ask me why the swivel ones leaked and the non-swivel doesnt but thats cure my leaky suit. I couldnt feel water coming but Id be wet from chest down on some dives and just below the waist on others.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep its a swivel inflator (ND valve) but again doubt its that as i get wet even when standing in the water that doesnt come up to that level.

Im boat coxing again Wednesday so will experiment to see how deep i need to stand before getting wet.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
My evil ND suit has developed an annoying leak. After every single dive im wet around the crotch/left waist area and into the leg below on the front only.

Soaked to the point i need to wring suit and socks out after every single dive and i can feel the water gathering in my crotch on a stop.

I THINK its a leak on the seam but buggered if i can find it.

Blimey!!! Guess what... MY ND suit (neoprene CNX 200) has developed EXACTLY the same leaks!!!!!!!!!! Just groin and left leg get wet.

I tried inspecting it for holes but didn't find anything. I opted to try plastering the groin (the suit... Not mine!) with aquasure... No joy though :(

On my last dive the zip felt like it was starting to leak too.
I managed to fix it though by getting a new Outer Edge suit and leaving the ND one in a cupboard until I decide what to do with it! No leaks since!!! :)

DO let me know if you find out what's causing it though as I'll get mine sorted as a back up! (Will let you know if I find a problem too!)

Si

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Blimey!!! Guess what... MY ND suit (neoprene CNX 200) has developed EXACTLY the same leaks!!!!!!!!!! Just groin and left leg get wet.

I tried inspecting it for holes but didn't find anything. I opted to try plastering the groin (the suit... Not mine!) with aquasure... No joy though :(

On my last dive the zip felt like it was starting to leak too.
I managed to fix it though by getting a new Outer Edge suit and leaving the ND one in a cupboard until I decide what to do with it! No leaks since!!! :)

DO let me know if you find out what's causing it though as I'll get mine sorted as a back up! (Will let you know if I find a problem too!)

Si
Similar sort of cure for my ND teabag,left it where the water is warmer and the surface interval better for drying......Mediterranean to be precise.New Seaskin for here.

·
Not so New Member
298 Posts
Just fixed one on my suit, was wetting the same area (try convincing mates that haven't got a continence problem :embarassed: ). When looking on the inside I found a very small nick close to where the seams meet just under the groin very difficult to spot as the hole was very small. Little dab of aquasure and no need to wear pampers :teeth: Worth a very close inspection in that area from the inside of the suit

·
246 Posts
I had a similar problem with my ND neopreme suit. What i didnt do was turn it inside out and pressure test it, not sure if you have a membrane or neopreme, but if neo, then suggest you take out the inflator, turn it around, and test the suit again inside out. Worked for me :) .
Regards
Roger

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine is membrane (cortex/cordura).

Not tried taking inflator valve out to turn it inside out - it doesn't leak there *now* but may well start if i do that given the rest of the suits low quality.

If i get 2 more soaking dives saturday i may do it as a last resort before burning the suit and replacing it with something thats (i) neoprene (ii) dry and (iii) offers me more flexibility on the shoulders than a straight-jacket.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
My ND cortex has a persistant left arm leak. The drysuit man can't find a leak (although he did find one in the crutch that I didn't know I had....)

I've had (after 3 years use) a new zip, new boots, new seals all round and I'm now on the second new dump valve.

If it leaks on Sunday, then I'm going to burn it. :) :) I don't trust it enough to do any kind of committing dive in cold water, so it is pretty much useless anyway:angry: :angry: In a way, I hope it does leak, as then I'll have an opportunity to get a replacement that I might trust a bit more.

Anyone have the number for Seaskin????? :) :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts