YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm my neoprene neck seal seems to be leaking occasionally underwater, guessing its loosened more after repeated use. its still fairly new under a year old.

no damage etc.

anyone tried anything that makes it seal better?

its fine as long as I dont move my head too much, in which case, water starts to leak in slowly depending on what position my head is at.

·
Still wet behind the ears ;)
266 Posts
Are you folding it over in the same place every time? I found with mine if I folded more than an inch or so over I would get the odd squirt of water. But after being told that you only need to fold over an inch or so, I've had bone dry dives.:)

HTH

Irfon.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
eat more pies:teeth:

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
hmmm my neoprene neck seal seems to be leaking occasionally underwater, guessing its loosened more after repeated use. its still fairly new under a year old.

no damage etc.

its fine as long as I dont move my head too much, in which case, water starts to leak in slowly depending on what position my head is at.
A new one :)

never replaced one yet but If I thought my dry suit was going to become wet very quickly its time to change. Lets face it, its going to fail, its going to cost you a dive, if it is just after you drop off the boat your buddy is going to be well chuffed with you calling the dive :)

DAvid

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

no damage etc.

I have always had exactly this problem with my Northern Diver dampsuit!!

I largely solved the problem by putting a knife strap over the neck seal. Obviously you need to be very careful that you do not overtighten the strap otherwise you will be dry but dead & I cant help feeling that this would be self defeating :)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I had a suit with a ridiculously large neo neck seal and did a similar thing with a loop of bungee.

Easiest solution is to have it adjusted. Any decent drysuit manufacturer or repair tech should be able to cut a thin V out of it and tighten it up easy. I think my LDS does it for about a fiver or tenner or something.

Digs.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Hey Applepie, why don't you give Steve Thomas at OE a ring ? I bet he can sort it for you.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts

·
266 Posts
Originally quoted byBig Si
If it's only a slight bit big then this should create a better seal for you

: : Apollo Europe - Bio Seals: :
Does this work with neoprene seals though? It only refers to latex.

Anyone got experience of using one with neo outhere?

Irfon

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Does this work with neoprene seals though? It only refers to latex.
Anyone got experience of using one with neo outhere?
I believe it was designed for Neo in the first place, there is actually a bit of an issue with them and latex - they shorten the life of the latex, but not neo.

I have used them with both and currently use one on a neo neck seal. Don your suit, fix the neo seal as usual, pull the bio seal over your head, spend a minute of two messing about getting it neatly tucked below your neo seal and your off.

Once on, you don't notice a thing - including leaks :D

I originally got one because I have a scrawny neck and when I turned or looked up, I got 'valleys' in my neck that vented the air out and the water in. After using this seal, I have zero problems. OK, I put it on wrong a few times at the start and had a problem, but just make sure it is not crumpled up on your neck and it works great.

·
266 Posts
I believe it was designed for Neo in the first place, there is actually a bit of an issue with them and latex - they shorten the life of the latex, but not neo.

I have used them with both and currently use one on a neo neck seal. Don your suit, fix the neo seal as usual, pull the bio seal over your head, spend a minute of two messing about getting it neatly tucked below your neo seal and your off.

Once on, you don't notice a thing - including leaks :D

I originally got one because I have a scrawny neck and when I turned or looked up, I got 'valleys' in my neck that vented the air out and the water in. After using this seal, I have zero problems. OK, I put it on wrong a few times at the start and had a problem, but just make sure it is not crumpled up on your neck and it works great.
Thanks for that Ardhill, it's good to know. I'll pass this info onto one of our club members (who dives in a crushed neo with neo seals) who's always complaining of damp shoulders and torso after a dive.

Cheers

Irfon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts