YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've never done any wreck diving but really want to start. I have seen a wreck diving course in Sri Lanka run by a Padi dive shop for about 350 dollars but unfortunately they close down in August (my leave time). Can anyone suggest a good wreck diving course in Thailand/Phillines (or that general area)during August? I'm based on the East coast of Saudi Arabia and don't really want to come back to U.K. to dive.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

blinking flip! 350 dollars?? I can't see how that is justified.

Wreck diving is pretty straightforward, find the wreck with the boat, when the biggest bit shows on the fishfinder deploy your shotline (assuming you can't see bubble from any other divers!), use a small-ish reel to find your way around the wreck, deploy your dSMB so the boat knows you're on your way back and come up the shotline and "bob's your auntie's live in lover"! As for wreck penetration, well...that's a whole other ballgame

Here's a website from a guy who posts on the bsac forum, his posts are very friendly and helpful, think he may be able to sort you out with the practicalities of diving in Thailand
<a href="http://www.divesamui.org/pages/951874/index.htm

Chee-az" target="_blank">http://www.divesamui.org/pages/951874/index.htm

Chee-az</a>
Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the URL Steve.  I actually got the price wrong for the Sri Lanka package. I should have said 199 dollars which is for four dives and presumably some sort of instruction!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Trevor,

You're in Saudi and you want to travel to Thailand or the Phillies to go wreck diving?? I suppose you can, but you're a hop-skip-n-jump away from the Egyptian Red Sea with rucks of wrecks! Your call, but I'd have thought that it was closer.

Or, if you're genuinely looking to get away from home, then you could try Oman - again close - where you can at least buy a drink! Brilliant diving by the way.

Then there's the Maldives. You may need to nip over to UAE (Dubai) for a direct flight to Male - but that's no biggie.

In Maldives they run wreck courses (PADI) all year, regardless of the weather. I can recommend any resort with a Euro Divers dive centre on it (Kurumba, Kanifinolou Club Med, Ari Beach, Full Moon etc.) Check out their website for prices, details and resorts. They are also in Thailand.

http://www.euro-divers.com/e0100.asp

Hope this helps mate and welcome to the boards and YD!

Dive safe,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the URL Bren I'll look into that.
You're right of course, Egypt and the Red Sea are very close but by the time my leave comes around I don't want to hear another "Inshallah" or "Bukra" for as many weeks as possible! Hence I tend to stay clear of other moslem countries.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Trevor,

For penetration TDI Adv Wreck is a good start and you could do that in the Philippines.

What kinds of wrecks are you thinking of doing? If it's just a look round the outside then I don't think you need a course. Read some books and bingo.

If the Phillipines does interest you then I can recommend Atlantis in Puerta Galera on Mindoro Island.

If you need more details then drop me a PM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hello Gavin,
 Thanks for the info. Yes it is penetration I'm interested in. I'll check out the people you suggested, presumbably you've dived with them yourself?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Yep top organisation as Gavin will atest I am sure.  They have my vote (or possibly second vote from me after Gavin).

http://www.atlantishotel.com/

Also happy to give you more information via email if you want it.

John Bennett is one of there tech guys (Current OC depth limit holder).

Daz

(Edited by daz at 3:43 pm on Jan. 16, 2003)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts