YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Platinum Member - I wish...
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To set the scene,

I was asked to do a short talk to a class of 25 P3's (aged around 8'ish) about diving because they are doing a topic on ocean and seas.

Walking into the class in full kit seemed to impress them and they were much more interested in what I had to say than I had imagined. Did the usual full kit, some pics on powerpoint then questions.

So I explained about my equipment removing each piece and placing it on a table so they could all see and explaining in laymans terms what each piece does. Cylinder/Backplate/STA quite happily sits on the table whilst I am doing this. Then get to about slide 2 of the slideshow and knock the table.

The cylinder falls off the table on the opposite side to kids (they were far enough back if it had fallen forwards though, I checked that.) The valve takes the brunt of the impact and first stage shears off the tank. I shut the tank valve, no big deal, but some kids got the shock off their life when this tank started pissing out air (same sort of noise when an a-clamp o-ring goes.) and the talk continues. Finish then assess the damage done:-

Photos:-

Stripped Thread on 1st Stage DIN Plug

Note the outer edge of where the o-ring normally sites. Bent quite badly.

Stripped threads of Valve

So all in all, a replacement DIN plug for my first stage, and a replacement valve body.

Not only did the kids learn an important lesson today as did I. Don't leave kit standing up on tables whilst not looking at it!

Regards,
Matty

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
sh*tter that i did something similar in anglesey a while ago left a 15 standing on a wall over it went and £60 later and a new valve, expensive this diving malarky when you do numb things!! :)

Ash

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did you not get told to always lay your cylinder down so this kind of things doesn't happen?

·
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you not get told to always lay your cylinder down so this kind of things doesn't happen?
Yep and normally do and a tank has never even fallen on it's side when i've been out diving. It's just when your inside, in what you consider to be a stable environment most of your focus goes on making the talk interesting and I didn't even give a second thought to leaving it standing up when I guess I really should. Still I guess it made the talk memorable :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
yes it will make it memorable for you anyway as its now costing you some cash to get it fixed, are you buying your bits from AWS or getting them online? or can you see if they will do the price matching they offer?

p.s. hope it doesn't cost you too much to get fixed

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Wouldn't have happened if you didn't have boots on 'em :D:D
Saw my mates twinset dive out of the boot of his car.... landed square on his CD valve protector and cart wheeled over.... no damage. :0) I'm sure if he'd not got boots on he wouldn't have left it stood up... and without the CD guard it would have been two knackered Mk25's..... Very lucky chap.

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
I knew someone who lost his twin 10s out of the boot of his estate at about 40mph as the boot lid wasn't shut. They skidded along on the valves and bent them quite alot. He carried on diving them with bent valves as he couldn't afford a new manifold. (what a nutter)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I knew someone who lost his twin 10s out of the boot of his estate at about 40mph as the boot lid wasn't shut. They skidded along on the valves and bent them quite alot. He carried on diving them with bent valves as he couldn't afford a new manifold. (what a nutter)
Now that's my kind of dive buddy. After all, they either work or they don't.

Safe diving,

Dale

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a similar incident when kitting up on a table at wraybury, my buddy asked me to help him into his bcd. 20 seconds later my cylinder had hit the ground and broken a hose. I borrowed a spare reg off another club member and later had a freeflow. All this because I hadn't placed my cylinder on it's side.

An expensive and scary lesson never to be repeated.

·
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
1,081 Posts
Yep - been there done that! the wall at Brixham harbour beach is just high enough for twin tens to land on their valves when they wobble off. I was all of a foot away but just didnt catch them in time.

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,155 Posts
Am I the only one thinking "only 3 threads stripped on male and female - shurely this means only screwed in 3 threads"
So whats the story with only partial engagement but tight enough for gas seal
hmmm

·
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I the only one thinking "only 3 threads stripped on male and female - shurely this means only screwed in 3 threads
Hadn't come to mind but now you mention it, it does seem abit weird. The three threads in the front of the valve are completely stripped, the ones further back appear to look more normal but I would imagine there is probably some movement. Still doesn't really explain it.

It was definately sealed before it fell, I took a few breaths and even inflated wing and it performed as normal. If the o-ring hadn't been sealed against the back of the valve then it wouldn't have sealed and would have let air out.

It is worth noting, though not immediately clear in the picture, the DIN insert from the regulator (bit that seals against back of valve) is distincly oval shaped and had the right angle join running round the face smoothed off into a curve type shape on one side in particular.

·
Off to T.D.F.
695 Posts
Am I the only one thinking "only 3 threads stripped on male and female - shurely this means only screwed in 3 threads"
So whats the story with only partial engagement but tight enough for gas seal
hmmm
6 threads - it's the outermost 3 of each that's gone, probably because that was the "least resistance" path out.

Have seen similar before, at Guildy diving with snow on the ground. Took a while to get over to it and turn it off - the amount of ice that formed on the reg was impressive.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
I have had 3 similar experiences, all avoidable, 1 year before last, 1 last year and 1 this.

2 years ago a bunch of us were just back in port after a day's diving, stripping kit down and unloading onto the quay. One guy stopped what he was doing to help someone else lift a kit box onto the hard and in the couple of seconds that took the wash ffrom a passing boat caused ours to rock. His twins unbalanced and pitched onto the deck from the bench, damaging one of his 1st stages.

Last year at a filling station I carried my twins into the compressor room and stood them up next to the bank ready to be filled and removed the inserts which I always use in the valves to protect them. Another diver leaned her "bootless" twins against mine. the weight of these pitched mine forward and dinged the top of one of my valves putting a flat on it.

This year I saw a student lay her bcd and single flat on the tail gate of a dive truck. It seemed safe but 2 minutes later another student walked past drying her hair and not looking where she was going, her elbow caught the rig on the tailgate and it fell to the floor breaking a hose and scaring her shitless.

Things like this are easily done and easily avoided.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I have had 3 similar experiences, all avoidable, 1 year before last, 1 last year and 1 this.

2 years ago a bunch of us were just back in port after a day's diving, stripping kit down and unloading onto the quay. One guy stopped what he was doing to help someone else lift a kit box onto the hard and in the couple of seconds that took the wash ffrom a passing boat caused ours to rock. His twins unbalanced and pitched onto the deck from the bench, damaging one of his 1st stages.

Ooooo. Wonder who that muppet was...........:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts