YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if its possible to dive this site? have heard people say they have dived the lakes within this park on more than one occasion...

Please tell me if this is true:)

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Plus there are fishermen using the lake. You'd only get caught in a net/line. Image in that story, 'You should ave seen the one I caught this morning, It was THIS BIG......

:D

I'm sure living near Holmfirth, ther are a few local quarries which have a bit of water in them?

Dave C

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
Leeds City Council don't allow diving in Waterloo Lake, I know, I've asked them!

ColinM
Actually, strictly speaking, that statement's not true.

Diving does take place in Roundhay Park, but it's usually the police pulling dead bodies out.

It's very deep, and very cold. The kids like to jump in when it's very hot, with the usual consequences.

It's also a boating lake, and as Dave has said, a fishing lake.

ColinM
P.S.

If you find somewhere else, let me know!

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
Actually, strictly speaking, that statement's not true.

Diving does take place in Roundhay Park, but it's usually the police pulling dead bodies out.

It's very deep, and very cold. The kids like to jump in when it's very hot, with the usual consequences.

It's also a boating lake, and as Dave has said, a fishing lake.

ColinM
P.S.

If you find somewhere else, let me know!

Even a puddle's no challenge to you anymore Colin.... :wink:

·
Registered
356 Posts
In a similar vein what about the lakes at Temple Newsam??!

or on a serious note Iv'e been told divers have been seen in the River Wharfe at Wetherby- anybody done that?

Robin

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
There is a challenge nearby called Chippy's Pond . . . . but the challenge is not having you vehicle done over while your in by the local 'chav' element :)

ColinM
Years ago I was talking to a guy who had to park his car in an unruly area and as the local thugs looked on he said to one of them "if you try and break into my car the guard dog in the back will have you", the reply was "can it put out fires?" Which I guess would be a mean feat!:frown:

Good luck with the pond.

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
In a similar vein what about the lakes at Temple Newsam??!

or on a serious note Iv'e been told divers have been seen in the River Wharfe at Wetherby- anybody done that?

Robin
An old diving mate of mine jumped in the river at Boroughbridge to test his hew dry suit. The locals thought it was quite amusing as he got swept away with the current.
Don't quite how far down river he got, but his suit didn't leak.:wink:

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
How about the strid? Near Bolton Abbey. Its quite brown due to the peat runoff water but I quite fancy this after reading about a similar place at the head of the river Dee in Aberdeenshire, near Braymar.

Map of United Kingdom | Multimap.com

The Strid Stretch of River a couple of miles up stream from Boton Abbey.

Divernet | UK Diving | British Summertime

Linn of Dee. Scroll down half way and read the peice about the Linn of Dee dive. Looks facinating and I'd like to try the Strid in the late summer, when its at its lowest.

Dave C

·
Registered
356 Posts
How about the strid? Near Bolton Abbey. Its quite brown due to the peat runoff water but I quite fancy this after reading about a similar place at the head of the river Dee in Aberdeenshire, near Braymar.

(messed up the quotes- quoting Dave Crampton)

Could the Strid be described as a Drift Dive? I'm not sure I fancy it but would come along for surface support by way of tethering you to a strong rope.

Also, there is a small section just up river from Burnsall, its about 6m deep by 6m wide. There were loads or Red signal craw fish last year.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
The Ponds at Temple Newsham, are man made and decoratove only. Hence they are not very deep.

The river up near Weatherby is shallow and only has a few corners where yuo'd get a metre of two. The river further down near Tadcaster is tidal and would be divable if you hit it at slack. Though quite what you'd see is a mistery as its just a river, and quite muddy at that.

There a re a few quaries in West Yorkshire, and there used to be a deep pool in a quarry near the west side of Sherburn en Elmett but it was filled in a few years ago.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Could the Strid be described as a Drift Dive? I'm not sure I fancy it but would come along for surface support by way of tethering you to a strong rope.

Also, there is a small section just up river from Burnsall, its about 6m deep by 6m wide. There were loads or Red signal craw fish last year.
I'd aporach the strid from the down stream end. and check out its depth and flow first. When I was a kid we used to visit and my folks warned us off jumping it, as people have tried and been drown in it. It was rumoured to be 40ft deep, I think. There is a board near it, giving a profile crossection of it.

Dave C

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've dived the Nidd at Knaresborough, 2mtrs deep, no viz, full of dead trees, small minnows.

ColinM
That brings back memories. As a kid I used to jump off some rocky outcrops at Knaresboroughs Rogers Lido into the Nidd-great fun. I don't know how deep it was there and it looked pretty dark & murky from the surface.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Anyone know if its possible to dive this site? have heard people say they have dived the lakes within this park on more than one occasion...

Please tell me if this is true:)
Just seen this after being on holiday.

I've dived Waterloo Lake many years ago. It used to be our Club's (Leeds BSAC) traditional Boxing Day dive site. Quick dive, followed by social gathering in The Mansion.

It was, if I remember rightly, very shallow & bad viz. Oh, and the last time we did it we annoyed the fisherman.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts