YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

That's easy for you to say, It's probably 2 minutes up the road from your house. You should try diving out of Plymouth. It's lovely.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

The diving in British Columbia is undoubtedly the best cold water diving in the world. Personally, though, I'd go further north than Victoria. The best diving I've experienced around Vancouver Island is in the Cambell River area. The Queen Charlotte Islands are also fantastic. Take a look at my report on the BSAC Travel Club website. http://www.bsactravelclub.co.uk/reports/canadaqci.htm

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

[/QUOTE]The diving in British Columbia is undoubtedly the best cold water diving in the world.

I've heard and read it's excellent John, on this basis it reminds me very much of some of the top W.coast of Scotland sites.
Whether its the best in the world probably open to debate.
Depends on what your interest is I would imagine

Think I would prefer it to "some" of the mundane tropical stuff

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Well, I probably haven't been to the top west of Scotland sites, just to Islay, but, from what I've seen from books, magazines and films on TV, even St Kilda, for example, doesn't compare with BC for scenic diving. It is simply spectacular. There is so much colour and life you would think you were on a coral reef if it weren't for the cold water (about the same as in the UK). BC doesn't have many real wrecks, but it does have some excellent artificial reeefs (Canadian navy warship that have been purposely sunk for divers).
I should have said "the best cold water SCENIC diving in the world". That's what Cousteau thought and I'll believe it until somebody shows me somewhere better. I don't think that'll ever happen, though.
PS In my opinion, Norway also has better diving than anywhere in the UK. Sorry!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts