YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Pogge ?

Did it have a longish body?  Or was it very squat like a stonefish.

Possibly a Sea Scorpion - Just done a bit of digging and it seems to fit.

Daz

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Porg

Its a Brentierney assourus, they are often seen adopting this camoflaged effect just before being told its their round.

This usually results in the famouse Scutteling manouver away from the bar

Dive sage,

Paul

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

It is a misserable fish. You can tell because someone has obviously used it to scrub their cooker with.

James

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

That, my darling, is an Angler fish! You get two types, Deep Sea Angler, and that.

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

All of what I can come up with on_line is the deeo sea ones. Here's a profile of the shallower one;

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I should add, don't arse about with them. The reason I know this is one of them is, ho-hum, I saw one about 6 months ago at my local site(Conger Ali) and wondered what the hell it was. I fluked upon a picure on UK dangerous fish of it about a month ago. Apparently it can bite. I'll go and chase the 'photo.!!!!

Peter

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

That's never an angler fish, the eyes are too upright and looking to the sides, anglers look upwards. I'll go with a type of scorpion fish, but still one that looks misserable!  

James

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>ok i dug out the cd, so here are some more pics.

If it is one of those dangerous things, maybe this wasnt such a good idea?......

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Definitely a scorpion fish. It is venomous but I don't know how dangerous it is. Maybe someone else can tell us (we don't have this fish here in Sweden).
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary....=scrofa

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I don't know, <s>maim</s> name that kitten, now name this fish, whatever next?

I say its a scorpion, although a wonder what a small angler looks like. I've only ever seen big uns.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Well, it looks like a small anglerfish
i.e. nothing like a scorpionfish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

Yup I'd say Scorpion fish. We get lots of them here in Mauritius - they look like the stonefish's better looking younger brother.

They're not dangerous as long as you don't tread on them or slap someone in the face with one. Most of the time they're doing a ruddy good impression of a piece of coral or rock. They tend not to move unless you prod them.

This is the advice that we are given here if one of us does decide to tread all over the fish and gets stung: make the wound and surrounding tissue as hot as you possibly can as soon as you can - the hotter the better: the poison is protein-based, like egg white, so heating it solidifies it and stops it spreading.

I've not heard of anyone dying from a scorpion fish: although I have heard of people dying from a stonefish and I don't expect people would stop to get a piccie of the exact creature that stung them, so it's likely that the two are often confused.

tas

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Pretty sure it is a Scorpion fish, looking at the pectoral fins.

Have a look at this link and see what you think.

Fish ID

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

What do you mean, "name the fish"?

You've already named it: It's a fish!

What else is there?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

Kate - looks like you're bang on the money there.

Is the "Father Lasher" also poisonous, 'cos the helpful site you linked to didn't mention anything about it?

tas

1 - 20 of 36 Posts