YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liberty Ship Henry B Plant and SS Larison Dives – Wed 25 Apr

After a good days diving out of Dover yesterday we met up again this morning for the long haul up to the Henry B Plant, an intact Liberty ship on its side in about a max of 41m. This is my favorite Dover wreck and i had been looking forward to this for some time.

There are wreck tour details here:- Wreck Tour

At the marina Chunderfish took possession of her new Steel 7 which Nigel had kindly painted Pink for her.

Off we went on a very nice flat calm sea with the expected Sea haze holding off.

We had a few missing off of this one so a bit of space on the bench, and me and Chasey were diving as team Chaos, minus the Dude, which should have meant a good dive :)

I went in first as the expendable diver to tie the shot in but Chasey had a delay, Desperation joined me at 6m and told me that Mark had a problem then he dropped down the line, I followed and into the dark and gloom we went.

Dan was soon back up though and pointing to my torch, his was hanging up by his ear where he could not find it, so I pointed to it as it floated past his eyes :D

On the wreck Dave had landed the shot just by the bridge and after a short struggle I had it tied in, meantime Chasey had joined me and let me know he was there by blinding me with his torch.

We then started to work around the superstructure, the viz was not bad once your eyes got used to the gloom and we were away from the busy area, working our way around though I had constant mask leaking problems, and Chasey eventually offered me his spare. At that point I had it working so did not bother, but it was still a hassle.

Working on we headed towards the stern, getting some ambient light on the shallower sections. Turning the dive we went back to the shot area and had a good look around here before I headed up with Chasey having a last Lobster search. Not as good as my last dive on this wreck but still very enjoyable apart from the damn mask leaking.

The Deco was a pain as we had Jellyfish all over us, and my gas swap was a nightmare as I had jellyfish tentacles all wrapped around my stage bottle reg. So 40 min bottom time at a max of 37m in 10 Degrees water with about 4m of Dark viz silted up in places. Using 31% Backgas and 52% for Deco.

Dan ponders his lost lifting bag and quality spidge, while Chunderfish tells Rob that diving Commando style is a good, DIR Holistic approach to diving :)

Dive 2 – SS Lariston

Dave Batchelor shotting the wreck, with Nigel giving helpful advise :)

After some lunch and a 4.5 hour surface interval we headed out to this big and popular wreck just short of the shipping lanes. The Viz looked ok with a green plankton tint and Dave had the shot in after a struggle, as we had some wind over tide making it a bit lumpy.

501 Diver despite having his face hideously damaged by the Sun, Jellyfish stings and some Anti-Aging Cream soldiers on to shot the Lariston :) with John Perrin watching.

Down we went and it was very bitty at first but once we got below 16m we had some lovely clear water and even some nice ambient light. The shot had landed next to the proudest point and was at 28m in a gloomy area, but once lined off and untangled myself from some fishing line and 2 other distance lines I had a look inside the hull before moving out to the side and up to the top at about 22m, here I had some fantastic viz looking along the deck in good ambient light with 5-6m of Viz .

Then a silt stirrer cam along and ruined all that, I waited for it to settle, but we had full slack then and it did not want t go. Soon after I started to get cramp so headed up after a very nice 35 min in a Max of 30m in 10 Degrees water using 32% and just getting a no-stop dive in.

So a very good days diving all round, and there is some good viz off of Dover again, it’s just a little dark under the plankton layer.

Reactions: Steve Summers

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Excellent report mate, it sounds great and I'm glad to see GUSAC El Presidente Chunderfish demonstrating our SOP of an ali 80 and steel 7 :) I'm just hoping that pink doesn't become our 'compliant' colour :eek:

Safe diving,
Steve

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WHHHHHHAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!:angry:

Spaces? And no-one told me!!! AARRGGHHHHH!!!

See you on the next one mate!:)
Yes mate unfortunately Colin had left me a Voice Mail which my damn phone did not tell me i had :(

He came along and paid up, but 2 others did not believe i had confirmed their places so did not turn up as they could not get in touch with me.

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent report mate, it sounds great and I'm glad to see GUSAC El Presidente Chunderfish demonstrating our SOP of an ali 80 and steel 7 :) I'm just hoping that pink doesn't become our 'compliant' colour :eek:

Safe diving,
Steve

She did turn the air rather blue as she told Nigel what she thought of it :D

·
The man who makes nice "SHINY" things
1,706 Posts

·
Cut the crap and go diving!
414 Posts
Thanks Paul, Dave and Brian for the great day. Pity the bloom is in early as the viz would have been pretty good. :)

The first dive was fun in a bit of a silty way, eerie glows from the torches could be seen. The jellyfish were a pain on the deco, I had one wrapped around my tanks and got a sting on the top lip which caused a bit of swearing... Peter said I should put some urine on it when I got back onboard, but I declined his offer!! ;)

Dive 2 (Laristan) is a nice closer in wreck. I came down the line directly behind Nigel, and only Dan was ahead by a few minutes. As I made my way off in an opposite direction I kept coming across line laid in a hap-hazard zig-zag way, sometimes it was close to the wreck, sometimes 2m higher. I thought I moved away from it, only to find it cutting across me again! Later on I was transfixed by a whirling dervish of fins, line and silt as a diver sped past in front and kick/dug the shit out of the viz then sped off laying line in a wide swathe of knitting across the wreck.

Back on board Dan later swore blind that someone had laid line under his stage and had tied him up! Nigel suggested that maybe it might have been his own.... and he had been needed to help untangled him from it.

That boy needs a 10m total exclusion zone placed around him..... it's dangerous getting any closer! ;)

Thanks for the day out, the banter and the pasties!

Alan :)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Home at last!

Right, I'm back now, so the truth can out!! Boy do I look crosser than a cross thing with my new cylinder - and I note that Nigel has not been around to post - his ears are still bleeding probably! Anyway, turned up on Wednesday, expecting the same clustxxxxx whoops sorry, the same great diving and the first thing that happens is that Nigel, the new Fashion Officer for Folkestone 501 has decreed that laydee members must use pink cylinders, so to that end my lovely new lightweight steel YES steel was Hydro'd, Inspected, O2 cleaned and then painted PINK. My face.......only my husband usually gets that look..... Still, once the boot was off, and it was put inside it's new 'handbag' the pink doesn't show.....apart from on the knob, where Nigel had sloshed it!

The day continued apace, with fantastic buddying, a good crack, some viz (not much), good wrecks, some wind & waves that no-one pre-warned me about so precautions were not taken and I spend a short while "looking out at sea" ..... the MP3 player was finally deployed, used and stowed properly on deco (I pm'd JJ and he told me the correct GUE method ;) ) and Rob and I had an excellent time bopping while we de-fizzed...

I also got a quick tour of my new club (if the existing members will have me) including the compressor shed, bar, meeting room, showers!! changing rooms - it really is a great set-up!

Thanks to everyone for another brilliant Dover diving trip - worth the mileage
AND commiserations to Captain Deco - there was LOOOOOAAAAAADDs of room for kitting up etc...:)

Dianne

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pics for the day

Slight delay in getting these out as I've only just managed to get my haed to cool down. Definately a mixture of sun sea and jellyfish. i thought the anti ageing cream was working till I saw the photo you posted Paul. Thanks.

This was the morning crew for the Plant.

Then there were the posers.

Lets hope the May bloom goes quickly.

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

AndrewM, Mark Chase, Nigel (Kneeling), Trebor, Chunderfish, Gerafix, Paul Oliver, Nigels mate Paul, John Perrin, Desperation, Peter Woolmer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts