YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The London dive show (LIDS) is coming up in March.  The last NEC show was great, but the trek to London is a large one...  Is it as good, and were the discounts as good last year?  Anyone know how much parking and tickets cost?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

don't expect to see anything out of the ordinary, depend's what twang's yer strang really!! horse's for course's and that ya!! if ya like show's you will enjoy it.
you would be better parking out of town and tube it to olympia! it is still possible to park for about six quid a day. where are you tabbing from???

regard,s
nitrox

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Is there a car park at Olympia?  £6 sounds good for London...

I'm after a 12li cylinder, regs, gloves etc, so don't want to be too far from the car. Not that fussed about anything else realy.

Coming from darkest Devon.  There'll be couple of us if we go, but I'm not sure if the savings would cover the petrol.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

there are a number of good reasons to go to LIDS - as far as I'm concerned ;)

All of which can be found here - <a href="http://www.divedorset.com/ue/jj.htm

I" target="_blank">http://www.divedorset.com/ue/jj.htm

I</a> imagine that this will be rather popular.

Take care

Mark.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

LIDS is at Excel, in Docklands. Unless they've moved Olympia since I was last there (35 years ago!!!), that's a long way from Olympia.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I'll be at LIDS this year - I need some new dive kit *sob*
Fortunately, it consists of an Alu backplate, a small wing, and some bits & pieces - so I should be able to get away with using the train

I've never really noticed any differece between BIDSand LIDS other than the location, so if you like one, you'll probably like the other..
Will hopefully make JJ's presentation as well..

(Edited by Dominic at 8:12 am on Feb. 5, 2003)

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

When I go down to the big smoke I tend to Park at the train station in Slough (£4/day payable by card when you buy your ticket or with change at the machine), buy a travelcard (£6/7 ish), take the first fast train into Paddington (about 15 mins) and on from there.  Simple and beats driving through the city - which is a big pain!

Of course this may not be of any help to anybody.    

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Any of you guys 'n gals make the trip, come and say hi to me on the Deep Blue stand (Sat & Sun) :wavey:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

doh!! did i say olympia!! why i dont know. there,s a car park just outside hammersmith station 6 quid allday and vary handy for the george post show.
where abouts in deepest darkest devon dumplin land are you tabbing from moll???

regard's
nitrox

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

As I'm going to the Uk during the week of the dive show I can not resist and have to go.  The problem is that my Mrs will also want to go to the theatre on the Saturday evening.  Now I can not imagine myself lugging around all the new equipment around London. Where can I park in London where after the show I can drop off the shopping then go the theatre and come back? I never know when the tubes are running also ideally should be somewhere safe as well. ( I will be heading back to Hampshire area afterwards). Also does one have to pay the congestion charge if going to Excel?
Many thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Chris,

The congestion charge does not apply as far out as ExCel. There is car parking for about 3500 vehicles there. The tube stops at about midnight or midnight 30 and there are night buses thereafter (for the courageous or drunk). Your best bet might be to get to ExCel early and park, stow your stuff in the car afterwards, leave the car, take in an early show and back out to docklands to rescue the car. I do not recommend driving into London. Check out http://www.ife.com/page.cfm/Link=10004 for more...enjoy the show!

Paul

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Ok guys...what days are you all going.  Myself and Caroline will be there, as will a certain Mr Gulliver.

Who wants to meet for some (probably extortionately priced) fizzy-pop?  (and to compare nice new shiny things!!)

:yelclap:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Has anybody seen a timetable for the lectures? Last time I checked, it wasn't on the website, just a list of speakers. It'd be interesting to hear what Jablonski has to say, for example (if he'll be there on the Sunday).

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I think the (right honorable???) Mr J Jablonski and his compatriot A Georgi-porgi-ititititis are speaking at 15:00-16:00 hrs on both days.

I have the timetable at home.....I want to see the talk on HMS Manchester.  I'll probably cry though, so if you hear sniffing, it's only me!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Oh, God! Is George going to be there too?
By the way, Lou, how are you going to see a talk???
:sofa:
OK, we'll go and "see" that too. Looks like we're going to have a busy day. Looking forward to it, though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

nah! thank's mate.. im in london working at the mo, although my residence is in devon and i dive with several chap/ess's from excreter(as plymouth people call it) just wondering if we actually knew each other in a different space and time so to speak???

mail me offline or whatever and we shall have a chat and ill put you in touch with some local lad's from sunny exeter. train at southwest diver's by any chance???

regard's

nitrox

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Nah - don't think so.  Know a few at Aquanaut, but the only guy I know at SWD is a young guy called Tom.  I dive a lot between Teignmouth and Torquay, when the boat's are out of the water.  If I make it to LIDS, maybe I'll see you there - should there be a YD RV somewhere (like the bar at lunchtime)?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

You can "see" a talk - they have video and everything!  it is not just a verb y'know.  

Georgi-whatsit is not GI3 but Andrew Georgi-greek-ish-name.  Same guy that was the instructor in Dave's DIR course review thread.  

I would have imagined that this presentation would be somewhat packed out in a testosterone-fuelled way!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

'Course you can't see a talk! You can both see and hear a presentation though. OK, I'm splitting hairs. Back to the subject: Glad to hear George I won't be there. Yes, I expect the presentation will be packed. Do you know if you have to book tickets? Otherwise it will probably mean standing and queueing for ages. I'm not sure I'd bother to do that. I support the suggestion of having a YD get-together in the bar at lunchtime, by the way. Maybe we should agree on a time and perhaps someone can make a small sign so we know where the YD gang is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts