YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Lifting lobsters etc - Who does what?

• Never lifted anything ever as I don't believe it is right.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't think it is really OK, but have lifted stuff to eat

• Think is is OK but very rarely lift anything

• Lifted stuff fairly regularly to eat.

• Lifted stuff every dive to eat.

• Lift everything I can find and sometimes eat it

• Think nuclear weapons release would be too good for them

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Just generally interested in the general opinion re the thread. I suspect most people if honest would fall into the second, third and fourth categories

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I'm in the third category – don't really think it's OK but have done it a few times. It's several years since the last occasion, though. I'll NEVER do it in Sweden, partly because it's illegal and the penalties are very heavy but also because I want to have things to look at on future dives. OK, I admit I'm a hypocritical barsteward: it's OK to raid other people's gardens but not my own  

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Guess which one I voted for!

On one of my first "grown-up" dives I was diving out of Melbourne on the first day of the Crawfish season.  Every single diver on the boat apart from caroline and I were out to get crawfish and every one brought one up.

The dive boat went out every day.......

One of the sites was named after a crawfish that even these guys (who were known to remove gear to get in under the ledges far enough to grab the most evasive ones) had not been able to get.....12lb reef

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Don't want to start the whole thing going again but be really honest as I have never met anybody who has NEVER lifted even a scallop on a dive. The first option is just for those who have never lifted anything ever not just those who don't believe in it now. I come under option three!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Rupert I'm Catergory One, never lifted anything, dont intend to either. Wildlife - not interested in killing anything for myself, Pots/Pans and other such crap can stay where it is, I've enough junk in my house without collecting more when I dive.
OK truth be told if it was a box of gold I suppose I'd fight the next man/woman to it, but the rest I just see as rubbish.
OK to have a look at, even that I find boring, but bringing it up - nah!

But if others want to bring up loose stuff off a wreck I'm pretty neutral about, wildlife - not a happy bunny, prefer if others didnt and I dont want to dive with someone who does, but if they are on the boat I'm not going to get all shirty.

Matt

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I voted for number 3, I have had some scallops a few years ago, as for anything with large claws they can stay where they are, I like my fingers too much.  

Fiona

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

No need to say where I cast my vote, but in all honesty I know a lot of divers that never take anything biological, and not just when I'm around either.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Well Rupert...looks like you've "met"  - in a cyber-spacey kind of way - a few now!

Unless you count those wee shrimpy things that you sometimes bring up on the face of your computer, but I normally try to wash those back in too!  Sad, I know.....

Can I have a second vote for Caroline? ;)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I had to go with option 3 even tho I've never lifted anything - I've never brought anything up because I don't eat any of it

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Oct. 22 2003,14:01)]Can I have a second vote for Caroline? ;)
No, but get her to join YD!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I tried dinamite but it hurt my ears

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Pardon....???

Mark....puts the "din" into dynamite.....*BOOM*!

Sorry Mark, but it was a classic, you know I love you really.....you evil, murederous bastard! ;)

Lou

ducking for cover....

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Oct. 22 2003,13:43)]I tried dinamite but it hurt my ears
Yeah, she sure has some voice on her. Is she a "screamer?"

Personally, i'll lift every Scallop I come across if it's legal size. I don't even eat the things, they just keep me in the good books with the neighbours.

Matt; Why won't you dive with anyone who's hunting? Remember that Cod(Plaice?) you had in the Farnes! How much collateral damage do you think that caused when it was being caught? Or is that OK as you never actually "saw" that and can file it away in the back of your 20th century brain.

Peter

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Well I voted for number 3 also. I've seen load of lobsters but never though about picking any up as they have large claws!! I have picked up a few Scallops in Skye this Autumn but didn't know what they were until I got on the boat, duurrhh. I saw the nice shells and as they were flat on one side thought that that was that, half a shell with no animal in. When we got back in everyone had got one and some even had a few. The boat skipper showed us how to get them out very easily so we feasted on them that eve. I'm coming round to Steve W's way of thinking though. I like seeing nice creatures underwater and it would be a shame if everyone removed them so there were none left to look at.

I did find a nice Suunto dive computer on the Chadwick whilst in Skye though. still worked too. I gave it to the Skipper as I thought it was his by the way he decribed loosing it two weeks before. Turns out it was one of his customers. Hope he gave it back?

Dave C

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Peter,
I said I wouldnt want my Buddy to lift anything, others on the boat are free to do as they feel right.
Yes I did scoff a plaice in the restaurant and I know that makes me a two faced git and yes I am fully aware of what the commercial guys do in the way of bye-catch (sp?). Gotta eat mate and I tried being a vegetarian but it didnt work well for me. So I guess you are right its in the back of my 20th century brain, I think I would have said 19th to be more accurate  

Matt

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Oct. 22 2003,13:55)]Pardon....???

Mark....puts the "din" into dynamite.....*BOOM*!

Sorry Mark, but it was a classic, you know I love you really.....you evil, murederous bastard! ;)

Lou

ducking for cover....
If any body wants me, I will be hiding my head in shame in the little dark hole over there

ATB

Mark Chase

actualy LOL

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I'll have to answer honestly and tick the 7th.  Plaice, flounder, sole, turbot, edible and spider crabs, lobster, thornback ray, scallops, mussels and oysters have all gone into my goody bags, that's why i always carry at least 2.  I go fishing as well for Red mullet, gurnard, bass, colefish, mackerel.  Seafood is nearly as good as Farm animals.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Dont have a problem with it aslong as what is taken is eaten. I never do it myself but I love to eat Lobster, Crab, Fish etc when I'm near the coast. I've also been on a scalloping dive in Cornwall and never lifted one of those either.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Its ok in my book so long as you eat what you kill. but don't like modern comercial fishing as it's far to destructive. wont encorage it wont buy it.

As for scrap iv'e got to much of it at the end of my yard already. So don't want anybody elses. Bits of copper and brass the od boiler and rad. if you close your eyes you can make believe it came of a ship.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Why don't you dump it all in one location. Someone will come across it and claim it as a wreck. You'll be p*ssing yourself as they try their dambedest to try and find out what wreck it is, how old it is and where it came from.

Dave C

1 - 20 of 41 Posts