life is for diving.. anything else is speculation
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying one of these for my next purchase, mainly because

- I like the size/power ratio
-quick recharge time
-v.light, so not much weight penalty taking abroad
-LED, so long bulb life

I'm looking at either the sola 600 or 1200, however I would like some feedback from anyone who actually has one of these as to their opinion before I buy.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
PM Alsky72 on here, he is a dealer for them.

I only had a fondle of one, can't remember which, but I stupidly looked at the light as I turned it on. The white spots took about 10 minutes to go away.

Insanely bright for such a small package.

I think there is also a big review thread over on wetpixel.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
These are superb little video lights. Alex Varnals at Diving Leisure Leeds uses a pair. Hugely bright for something so small :)

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
I bet those bad boys didn't go back eh John? :D

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
When I retire, do you think I'm going to open the biggest e-bay site for slightly used (and obsolete) diving gear? Everything goes back (eventually :)).

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats this months DIVER I take it? As a personal opinion, would you buy one, and if so which?

·
9,347 Posts
Thats this months DIVER I take it? As a personal opinion, would you buy one, and if so which?
Sorry. I don't do personal opinions of equipment on forums unless it's something unique like a Pegasus Thruster - but if you read the last 19 years of back-numbers of Diver Mag you'll get a good idea!

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Appeared in DIVER November 2010 - It's at the top of the review;) Although BJ buy kit???????

Only kidding BJ - I got a Cressi Flex as you rated it pretty well:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had the sola 1200 for a few months now and have not been dissapointed. love the wrist mount and find the unit much less cumbersome than my previous lamp - beaver platinum.
The charger plugging into the base of the unit is a great idea and i no longer have to worry about greasing the o-rings and possible flooding after charging.
However if i was to purchase a new dive lamp i would go for the sola 500 and save a bit of cash as i always seem to dive my unit with the lamp on spot at full power, which is what the sola 500 offers. i have found that the wide beam is not much use in poor vis due to the backscatter although when playing about last week in the caves off st kilda the wide beam illuminated all my peripheral vision.

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you've had no issues with it almost slipping off your wrist etc? I see your point regarding the 500. What attracts me to the 1200/600 is that you have the option if needed. Strikes me that the flood might be more useful abroad where there is less particulate in the water.

·
9,347 Posts
June 2011 Diver has reviews of the following lamps:
Aquatec Aqua-Marine
Ikelite PCm2
L&M Sola Dive 1200
Metalsub 500-R

·
9,347 Posts
In the article it states "There are three output settings in either red or white light, set sequentially", but the manufacturers spec show only one setting for the red light. So which is correct?

R
I would have had it in my hand when I wrote it but I admit to making the occasional mistake.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
When I retire, do you think I'm going to open the biggest e-bay site for slightly used (and obsolete) diving gear? Everything goes back (eventually :)).
Retire? Surely we'll just have u shot like horse?

I rather like the idea that you might trade the current Mrs Bantin in for a 21 year old lingerie model called Brandy when your 85 and be found shagged to death ala John Entwhistle 2 weeks later in an LA hotel suite ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would have had it in my hand when I wrote it but I admit to making the occasional mistake.
But you may be right. The only ones I've seen was on a recent trip with Alex Mustard and I don't recall a multiple setting for the red light. But the L&M website doesn't even refer to the red light on the Sola range as far as I can see!

Puzzling, but I'll get in touch with Alex/Alsky for clarification.

Thanks

R
EDIT Ooops; I've just realised I was looking at the Dive range on their website, not the Photo ones! It would seem the red light is just one setting on the Sola PHoto 600.

·
9,347 Posts
I rather like the idea that you might trade the current Mrs Bantin in for a 21 year old lingerie model
That's how I got the present Mrs Bantin - but it was a few years ago. It's not a good feeling when your trophy wife approaches middle-age.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts