YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been taught any line laying skills, so how do I go about acquiring some.

During a conversation with Dianne the other day she mentioned that this is now included in one of the BSAC grades (can't remember which) but it certainly wasn't included in any of mine.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Do one of Mark's workshops or sign up for Tech 1 :)

G

·
or sign up on one of Marks TDI Wreck Penetration courses, which includes a large amount of line laying, thats what I'm doing this weekend, hopefully, if the weather is kind

·
Registered
130 Posts
Or a Cavern/intro cave course. The PADI cavern course is pretty good for this and only takes 2.5 days (assuming 2 or 3 dives per day).

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
or sign up on one of Marks TDI Wreck Penetration courses, which includes a large amount of line laying, thats what I'm doing this weekend, hopefully, if the weather is kind
Thanks Gary but this is a bit more than what I am looking for and checking out the course it is to a max depth of 55m and I really want to do some trimix training before I go to those depths.

Andy you are right about diving with the right people and just had a kind offer to show me. :)

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
Just dive with the right people and ask them to show you Fiona :)

Andy
Good bit of advice Andy, on my CCR Trimix course I asked about doing an Advanced Wreck course. The reply from my instructor was "your coming to Ireland with us aren't you, watch and learn". Nice not to be fleeced for once! I know other instructors who would have said" sure, I'll do you a course".

Most of my courses have to some extent had line laying involved be that Advanced Nitrox, ERD, CCR or CCR Trimix and I have picked up little bits along the way and leaned a lot about what works and what doesn't work diving wrecks each week with more experienced divers than my self. I have also had some people show me some crap methods, you just need to go "ooo that's good, I'll try that", then wipe that bit of crap out of your memory, what worked for others may not work for you.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Thanks Gary but this is a bit more than what I am looking for and checking out the course it is to a max depth of 55m and I really want to do some trimix training before I go to those depths.
If Gary's diving to 55m this weekend, he's going to need a shovel and do an awful lot of digging.

Jason

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts

Andy you are right about diving with the right people and just had a kind offer to show me. :)

That is a max depth

If you can get that on the scyllia let me know where as would be a good training dive!

you'll probably be doing it on the Stangarth now your DIRF otherwise the best place would be somthing like the scylilla or the Zen in Cyprus

Fin

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I have never been taught any line laying skills, so how do I go about acquiring some.

During a conversation with Dianne the other day she mentioned that this is now included in one of the BSAC grades (can't remember which) but it certainly wasn't included in any of mine.
As others have said it's now in Sport, so why not just ask a BSAC Inst.
to run through that dive to start with and expand a bit with some of the
DL ones.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As others have said it's now in Sport, so why not just ask a BSAC Inst.

I'll just ask myself then Terry :D

I don't have access to a BSAC instructor, but I do have access to YD and it's wealth of knowledge :)

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
A few ideas...

1. As And said, dive with the 'right' people who can show you.

2. Go on a course such as the Adv Wreck - 55m is maximum 'allowable' - you don't have to do that depth.

3. Find an instructor of your choice and ask them to spend a day (or whatever) teaching you the skills you want. I know Mark Powell does this, I am sure others will do it and if you would prefer, I guess a GUE instructor would do that too without you getting into a 'formal' course.

Oh and have a read at Mark Chase's thread on line laying.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
It's not rocket science Fiona and only takes a few minutes - then practice.

It's a shame you didn't do Al's great introduction to it at the Stoney Cove gig in November last year but I'll show you when we next meet up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts