YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I bought a Liquivision X1 eight weeks ago from Divelife. I noticed on the Divelife Website today, that they are no longer selling or supporting X1's from Jan 12th 2012 due to high customer return rates / reliability issues.

I have had on a few occasions, the X1 frantically scrolling through the menu items with no tap input usually after charging the X1.

I am concerned about Divelife's comment - after all I've made a thousand pound investment. My contract of sale is with Divelife, but I would get support from the manufacturer, my main concern is over why so many have been returned due to the reliability issues to force Liquivision to terminate Divelife's reseller agreement.

Can anyone shed any more light on this issue - and let me know what sort of reliability issues have been found???

Andy

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
AFAIK the initial problem was the depth sensor. Liquivision rectified this by putting in twin ceramic depth sensors, which yours should have.

My X1 gave up the ghost after 2 years and 9 days by continually rebooting underwater at 45m. My initial response from Liquivison was 'your problem' but I could pay nearly £600 to get it rectified. After some to'ing and fro'ing they eventually gave me a free replacement with the twin depth sensors. Before all that issue I had problem with it twice before just scrolling like mad through the menu. Liquivison fixed that with a small program to diagnose the problem then another to fix it. I still have those programs if you need them.

TBH they are a great computer when they work and mine had done 476 dives pretty much trouble free

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, I've dropped a email to Liquivision about my intermittant problem, so i'll wait for a response for now, but i'll PM you if the software will help.

I'd still be interested in other peoples experiences as Liquivisions decision to pull Divelife's reseller agreement seems like an extreme step to take?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You have a 12 months contract with Divelife, the Sale of Goods act 1979 states that... No matter what is said you warranty and any issues you may have will be delt with by Divelife, they cannot fob you off with the contact the manufacturer thing. They know this and I'm certain they won't. Divelife have an excellent rep and protect it vigorously. I'm sure you'll have no warranty issues in the first 12 months.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
i saw 1 that bubbled goo after being charged.

seemed to work ok tho.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Copied rom Divelifes website..

Unfortunately DiveLife has suspended the sale of the Liquivision products due to ongoing reliability issues. Please call us for further information. We will continue to offer warranty support to our existing customers should any issues arise.

They will offer warrenty for the standard 12 months ... no problem, I didn't think so :0)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Although early X1's had some reliability issues, the V5 X1 released in late 2009 has been extremely reliable. The Xen and Xeo computers have also been very reliable. The first Xeo's did need some software updates and most of our dealers were happy to support our customers through that.

DiveLife chose to temporarily suspend their dealer agreement until we could provide them with a product that required no customer support. Since we could not guarantee that, we decided to terminate the dealer agreement.

We are happy to directly support any customers who have purchased our products.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
I'll add my tuppence worth here as well.....

I bought the new Xen unit and was extremely impressed with it, not only the unit itself, but also the commitment Liquivision hae shown in both supporting and developing the unit - this is not a company that has simply produced a unit and walked away from it, concentrating instead on future models to offer "improved" functionality, Liquivision seem to constantly offer firmware updates that improve the current model, rather than roll them out in another unit that would require another purchase. (Think Microsoft and instead of releasing "New and improved" software that required another purchase every18 months, continued instead to develop and support Windows '98).

I did have an issue with my unit where the depth graph on the unit itself went a bit haywire (I think there is a photo on here somewhere) the support I got from Liquivision was simply fantastic, they put me in touch with the software developer and then released a firmware update that fixed the issue, all the time assuring me that they would replace the unit if this failed to work.

Liquivision are very easy to talk to and are committed to continuously improving the units they sell.

I would not worry, you will get great service and support from them and I would continue to recommend their products to anyone.

G

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm still miffed that they dumped those of us that bought X1's with the intention of buying X-Links when they went CCR.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Maybe Liquivision is looking for/found a distributor for its products in the UK. Who knows? There are a lot of changes going on at the moment in the diving trade. For example; Atomic, Finn Light, Stahlsac, Bare etc are coming under one European distributor with a well-known representative highly active in the UK.

·
Aspiring to the Horizontal
2,823 Posts
I'll add my tuppence worth here as well.....

I bought the new Xen unit and was extremely impressed with it, not only the unit itself, but also the commitment Liquivision hae shown in both supporting and developing the unit - this is not a company that has simply produced a unit and walked away from it, concentrating instead on future models to offer "improved" functionality, Liquivision seem to constantly offer firmware updates that improve the current model, rather than roll them out in another unit that would require another purchase. (Think Microsoft and instead of releasing "New and improved" software that required another purchase every18 months, continued instead to develop and support Windows '98).

I did have an issue with my unit where the depth graph on the unit itself went a bit haywire (I think there is a photo on here somewhere) the support I got from Liquivision was simply fantastic, they put me in touch with the software developer and then released a firmware update that fixed the issue, all the time assuring me that they would replace the unit if this failed to work.

Liquivision are very easy to talk to and are committed to continuously improving the units they sell.

I would not worry, you will get great service and support from them and I would continue to recommend their products to anyone.

G
So about the same sort of service that you've experienced with Miflex hoses then? :D

·
it's all gone a bit pete tong
128 Posts
My wife's torn between the Xeo and the OSTC, does anyone know of any issues with the Xeo?
I was planning on getting an OSTC N2 when I returned to Blighty later this year, however I had the chance of a Xeo at a very good price from a good friend who happens to be a Liquivision dealer. If I have any issues I'll post them for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought an X1 from Dive Life. I paid for it when I ordered it, 28th June. It was finally sent to me 23rd August. It malfunctioned after only a handful of dives, in October, and I sent it back. It was finally returned to me at the beginning of January, but without the wrist strap and charger, which are on their way to me from Canada. So 7 months after spending £1100 I have had virtually no use from this computer.

They do not appear to have tracked down what went wrong, merely reinstalled the software, though apparently the unit was working when they tested it before sending it back. It was reporting information in the logs what was obviously wrong, dive times were obviously wrong and the depth/time information in the graphs was different to that in the summary. If it can get these things wrong - which I can check - can I be confident that it is getting things that I can't check right, i.e. stop times / no deco limits? I am now extremely nervous of trusting it, and a computer I don't trust is probably worse than none at all. I was using it as a back up, but until it's worked properly for many many dives then I think if I need a back up in earnest, I'll be going straight to tables.

Dive Life and Liquivision have been helpful throughout the process, and I imagine that some of the delay is just down to the distance between here and Canada, but I can't really say that I'm very impressed or happy with how things have gone, and if I had my time over again I would have gone for the Shearwater instead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very happy with my X1 overall in 3 years.

I had the first hardware version ( 1 sensor ) and after 9 months it died ( after a deep dive).

They replaced it under warrantee and they sent me the new hardware ( with the 2 sensors ).

Still working fine ....
OLED screen is great , software is great.

Overall I like it and quite happy....

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
They do not appear to have tracked down what went wrong, merely reinstalled the software, though apparently the unit was working when they tested it before sending it back. It was reporting information in the logs what was obviously wrong, dive times were obviously wrong and the depth/time information in the graphs was different to that in the summary.
The thing is two different companies supply the parts, X1 provide the hardware whereas HSS supply the software (assume your using Vplanner-Live or Mult-Deco). Did you check the issue with the Ross at HSS before sending back the X1 to Canada? Especially as they only re-installed the software...

I bough the X1 w/out deco software & bought/installed the deco software separately, have upgraded & changed several times.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Liquivison

Hi All,

Just a note to say that DiveLife have resumed selling the Liquivision products after an earlier suspension. Liquivsion themselves have never been anything but professional to deal with and the issue was never with Liquivision, only with the reliability of certain lines. As we had to send them back to North America then, due to small margins, this became economically unviable.

We have always honoured our warranties and so have Liquivision, impeccably.

We have been assured by the new importer that these issues have been resolved and that they have not yet had any units returned to them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts