YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· old time
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi All,

Col Manic from here as you may know is new to diving and with his training club went on a 10 day live aboard to the RED Sea.

Having just spoke to his mum on Hotmail Messenger, she said

" Boat had teckkie probs during the night leading to the vessel sinking, he is ok but has lost all his kit including the new underwater camera he got the day before flying out "

Anyway, i'll have more details for you all, when his mum lets me know more after he should be phoning her tonight.

She says he is staying there til Sunday

Andy

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

Oh crap..  Now that is what I call the start of a bad holiday.

But on the positive side, at least it was just his kit lost.  Could have been much worse.  Keep us informed.  Any idea of the boat name.

Hope everyone else was OK as well.

Daz

· Registered
13,342 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Poor Guy,

After reading earlier on this year about a liveaboard which caught fire in the Maldives I have become much more aware of what could happen.

When I went on holiday in August I kept all my documents / money on an Aquasac, just in case.  Call me paraniod but you never know.

Best wishes to Col M and hope his kit is insured.  

Fiona

· Just not enough dive time.
9,000 Posts
Imported post

Following on from Daz's comments elsewhere that I jinx every site I visit, I would just like to add that I have NEVER been to Egypt.
Best wishes to the Col and all the others, glad they are safe and sound.
Matt

· old time
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I will keep you posted ,,,,,,,

Funny thing was that he was going to do his  PADI Deep spec and Wreck course while there.

His kit and camera wasn't insured
  BUt i hopefully have found a way round it , to get him all BRAND NEW kit

Andy

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Oct. 09 2003,16:21)]Funny thing was that he was going to do his  PADI Deep spec and Wreck course while there.
Throw in a PADI search and recovery diver course and he's away.

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

All the above Andy??!

When, where, what, why?
??

Massively glad he's/his shipmates are OK; pisser about his kit and holiday (can be replaced at a later date - material stuff, as I found out recently to my cost when we were robbed in a house at knife-point); what news now of the event?

Go on a liveaboard holiday and get a sinking for your trouble?! FFS! Not good.

Close to shore? Between Sharm/Brothers and Fury Shoal/St John's. Nothern/Southern Itinerary? WTF??

Tell his mum we are all thinking of him and his shipmates and wish them God's-speed and a safe return!

Please report ASAP the moment you have news.

Hoping one and all is well!

· Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>on a positive note

nobody died and there is a new wreck to dive, you may even come away with a shiney new camera

its an ill wind that blows no man no favour

· A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts
Imported post

Sound like it technicly hit a reef and sunk

Thing is its a Maidstone bassed dive centre. I know of only two and I droped my stages in the other day and was told the chap who does the 02 cleen was in Egypt back soon so I have a sneeking suspision I know the chap

Its their first year as a dive centre too.

I will try to find out more tomorow.

Mark Chase

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Hi guys

yep im still alive so are the rest of us

we are all ok.
The boat name was WILDCAT sank on wednesday morning 2:30 local time got me out of bed! grrrr il give a propper detail of the insedent when i get back.
most of us had gear insurance except me
well you dont expect a ship to sink for no reason.
we got rescued by a fishing boat and picked up after by the local sea rescue and got transfered to a egytian naval gun ship!
these guys were wonderfull and helpfull.
Talk later someone elses computer over here.

ColManiac
Tony

· old time
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Mate,

Did ya mum tell ya i have been chatting to her ?

Don't worry about ya insurance , i've something in the pipeline for you, will let you know more when ya back later tomorrow.

Just coinsider yaself lucky to be alive,,,,, REMEMBER the day i took you out , and it was a little bumpy... YES i know the boat was knocked sideways a bit , but it was only ya seasickness that made you worry of dying,:D  At least ya boat sunk on a nice calm night, with local boat around to assist quickly.

Andy.

eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm   Do you quailify for the PADI " Survived a boat sinking " badge,,,,, can't be many of them issued

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Oct. 11 2003,10:12)]Hi Mate,

eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm   Do you quailify for the PADI " Survived a boat sinking " badge,,,,, can't be many of them issued
ROFL

And no this boat aint a new wreck as its to be recoverd refoated and salvaged

it was in 15 meters of water with the bow above the waves and its still like that now

· Jonah
7,287 Posts
Imported post

Glad you're OK Tony.

Old joke time - stop  me if you've heard it....

Three instructors (PADI, BSAC and GUE) are out with some students when the boat starts to sink.

The GUE instructor turns to his students and says "OK guys, jump on the scooters, let's get back to shore".

The BSAC instructor turns to his students and says "OK guys, time for some skills practice - black out your masks, go down the line, and do compass navigation back to shore while buddy breathing all the time".

The PADI instructor turns to his students and says "OK guys, gimme another £50 each and we can do your wreck specialty!"

Tom
(anyone seen my coat?)

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

FYI

Boat was the Wildcat.
Was moored on three lines in the "Alternatives". Had been there 12 hours, there having been an afternoon dive and a night dive at that spot. The group had had dinner, watched "Shrek" and gone to bed. At 2.30am one of the party who was asleep on the top deck went to the dive deck to relieve himself to discover that the vessel was low in the water at the stern and starting to list to starboard. The alarm was raised and everyone moved onto the deck. 5 yes 5 minutes later the vessel sank. Some of the divers were in the attendent rib four had to swim from the boat. All had only what they stood up in.
They were transferred to a fishing boat moored nearby and were then rescued by the Search and Rescue Unit who had scrambled from Transco harbour along with an Egyptian warship. The group were then brought back to Sharm by the Navy.  Currently a salvage operation is underway with efforts to raise the vessel and return it to Transco. Speculation on why is that the generator cooling return hose snapped allowing sea water to be both pumped in by the generator whilst flooding in via the exhaust. All 14 divers are fit well and today Saturday recovering from a massive pissup last night.
Posted by Martin from Blue Ocean Diving and Chairman of the Survivours Club. Special T shirts available in the shop soon!!!  Please pass this onto other site to update/inform the dive community of our safe return.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.