YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Hi guys

yep im still alive so are the rest of us

we are all ok.
The boat name was WILDCAT sank on wednesday morning 2:30 local time got me out of bed! grrrr il give a propper detail of the insedent when i get back.
most of us had gear insurance except me
well you dont expect a ship to sink for no reason.
we got rescued by a fishing boat and picked up after by the local sea rescue and got transfered to a egytian naval gun ship!
these guys were wonderfull and helpfull.
Talk later someone elses computer over here.

ColManiac
Tony

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Oct. 11 2003,10:12)]Hi Mate,

eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm   Do you quailify for the PADI " Survived a boat sinking " badge,,,,, can't be many of them issued
ROFL

And no this boat aint a new wreck as its to be recoverd refoated and salvaged

it was in 15 meters of water with the bow above the waves and its still like that now

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

FYI

Boat was the Wildcat.
Was moored on three lines in the "Alternatives". Had been there 12 hours, there having been an afternoon dive and a night dive at that spot. The group had had dinner, watched "Shrek" and gone to bed. At 2.30am one of the party who was asleep on the top deck went to the dive deck to relieve himself to discover that the vessel was low in the water at the stern and starting to list to starboard. The alarm was raised and everyone moved onto the deck. 5 yes 5 minutes later the vessel sank. Some of the divers were in the attendent rib four had to swim from the boat. All had only what they stood up in.
They were transferred to a fishing boat moored nearby and were then rescued by the Search and Rescue Unit who had scrambled from Transco harbour along with an Egyptian warship. The group were then brought back to Sharm by the Navy.  Currently a salvage operation is underway with efforts to raise the vessel and return it to Transco. Speculation on why is that the generator cooling return hose snapped allowing sea water to be both pumped in by the generator whilst flooding in via the exhaust. All 14 divers are fit well and today Saturday recovering from a massive pissup last night.
Posted by Martin from Blue Ocean Diving and Chairman of the Survivours Club. Special T shirts available in the shop soon!!!  Please pass this onto other site to update/inform the dive community of our safe return.

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

I have full gps cords for the site so any one want to do a sar in the area for gear let me know

Tony

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Hi,
Just to let you know we landed safely at gatwick at 1:30am monday.  All of us are ok.

Tony.

P.S  What is damn anoying  I had the time to get my MSD rating by the end of the holiday.

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Hi,
I was very ill ( not seasick)on wednesday so I spent all day in the cabbins, so to get woken up 3 ish didnt make me very happy

4 people were sleeping in the cabbins below and the rest of us were up on deck as it was too hot.
All of us were so very lucky to get away unharmed.
Some of us took photo`s of the boat sinking and the rescue.

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Oct. 13 2003,12:44)]Hi,

Had a pop at the picture, when I downloaded it I could not see much so I tried to clean it up a little.

Andrew
Thanks andy for that

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Oct. 13 2003,09:02)]Just come to the thread after Mark D. mentioned it to me.

Its good, nay great!, to see everybody came out of it alive and well.  Getting the kit back is a bonus I s'pose but nice all the same.  Having the camera and cards would be my biggest worry (kit-wise); passports, tickets and things are more of a buggeration factor but can be sorted.  Photo's tho really are more important in my view - the memories of doing something, you will always have but a photo really brings those memories alive!

But, what an experience!  Its not everybody that gets ferried around by the Navy on a Warship.

I guess you're going to get another free holiday from the travel company Tony?  Would you go for another liveaboard?

Cheers,

Tim
Hi Tim,
sorry missed ur post

got the gps cords

free holiday at the moment it does not sound like it

the travel company did not book the actual boat trip.
get on a liveaboard again defently yes

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Oct. 13 2003,13:42)]Just looked at their website, looks sorry looked a nice boat this was interesting

"The WILDCAT International cuisine has gained fame, not only in the Red Sea but world wide."

It's not only their cuisine which is famous now

FB
whats intresting about it is the site says the boat`s only 4 years old,  but i heard from unoficial channels this boat is more like 20 years old and it had sank before.
Tony

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

I would sugest if you are going abroad for a holiday on a boat make sure the boats fully insured and make sure you get a full safty briefing to handle an emergency.  Also check to see where the life jackets are and where the fire extingishers are.

As we had no safty briefing and we did not know if the boat had any life jackets, as later we did find out the boat had some but did not konw where to find them.
Tony

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Oct. 13 2003,18:50)]FFS TONY ,,,,

You hero, 1012 people have seen this on YD alone ..........

Please let me have ya autograph, i'll kiss ya feet
yea np`s

My autograph is going at 5 pounds a sign, Andy get it free ;)
Tony

· Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

Its difficult to describe what it was like as it happened so fast.

I just received an e-mail from all the survivors to day and they all got home safely.
Tony

P.S Thanks for the response its much appreciated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.