YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
team wibble
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what the general amounts that people leave for tips of the dive guides and the crew.
we all know that the dive guides are not payed a great deal and the crew get next to bugger all, so what we leave them really helps out.
So myself and Mrs Flood are off on the 18th june on blue fin for a week of best of wrecks woo hoo!
so what is considered a good tip for the crew and a good tip for the guides and a average for both etc?

cheers john

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i hate tipping as much as the next (british) man, but the BO2 crews do such a good job and as you say, local wages are low, so i give 60 quid to the crew and half that to the guides. i think this is reasonable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't recall exactly the ammount, but the guide on Blue Horizon suggested how much we gave to the crew at the end of the week

·
Registered
239 Posts
i hate tipping as much as the next (british) man, but the BO2 crews do such a good job and as you say, local wages are low, so i give 60 quid to the crew and half that to the guides. i think this is reasonable.
I went for the same on Typhoon since the guides and crew were absolutely fantastic. Really I think the amount should depend on how good a level of service you got so adjust it accordingly based on your trip.

Mike

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I went for the same on Typhoon since the guides and crew were absolutely fantastic. Really I think the amount should depend on how good a level of service you got so adjust it accordingly based on your trip.

Mike
yeah, absolutely. the crew and guides of snapdragon got half that.

·
All men are created equal, then some become Toads.
903 Posts
i'd say £40 for crew and dive guide tip is {don't eat the yellow snow} as you can do without the dive guide once the dive boat finds the wreck the rest is easy

·
Daft Yank
219 Posts
I'm on Blue Melody on 28 May.....

Do people tend to tip in GBP? I know Blue O Two accepts GBP for on board purchases, but wondering if the crew appreciates tips in foreign currency....

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts

Do people tend to tip in GBP? I know Blue O Two accepts GBP for on board purchases, but wondering if the crew appreciates tips in foreign currency....
ill bet they dont say no to it

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts

Any currency I am sure - Dollars, Euros, Sterling.....
I think the process is that the money gets taken to a central pool, changed into Egyptian pounds, then distributed amongst the staff (inc. the guys you don't see).

As the exchange rate is not so good at the moment, they get less in their pockets than they used to.

It's my view that *most* crews and guides do a really good job - and really appreciate the boost - you can scrimp on it but an extra tenner won't hurt you and will boost them a lot more

HTH
Mal

·
Just enough education to perform
260 Posts
as you can do without the dive guide once the dive boat finds the wreck the rest is easy
Little bit of a selfish view.

I too prefer to dive without the guide on liveaboards but I still think they do an invaluble job. Not everybody is experienced or feels confident enough to dive without one. Also, there can be a particular attraction at a dive site which may be difficult to find without one.

With regards to tips, don't forget the captain. I hear he grabs the booty & takes the lions share from the crew!

·
Winding up the precious since 2009
2,988 Posts

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
as you can do without the dive guide
And if you have an incident, do you want the deck boy managing the situation or someone who has been trained to do so and knows the appropriate protocols?

Dive guides responsibilities do not end at guiding...

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Personally, I chuck in about 5% to the crew, and 5% to the guides if they are good. If they aren't good, or are in some cases plain lazy, they get less (in some cases nothing) with most liveaboards coming in for me around £600-£800, that means £30-£40 for each group. In my experience the crew are almost always incredibly hard working, keen, fun to have around, and enthusiastic. Plus their tip is getting split many ways before it goes in their pocket. If I'm short of cash or feel that the guides haven't really gone the extra mile the money very quickly shifts from them to the crew. This also, for me, reflects that I would very much like to work as a guide on a liveaboard, but working as crew really doesn't appeal in the same way - sharing a small room with 5 others vs having a room to yourself, being able to relax in the communal areas vs being hidden away downstairs, getting up at 5am vs getting up at 7 for breakfast, the guides don't seem to have it too tough IMO.

So far, touch wood, almost all guides and crew on the boats have been great for me. There have been a couple of times where I've felt that a big tip wasn't really sensible.

Other thing to bear in mind - does anybody tip the guides and crew on dayboats? Or at a dive centre taking them out shore diving? When I was a guide/DM in Cyprus I never heard of anybody getting tips (and many of the staff went way above and beyond the call of duty several times) even when I risked my life to get a torch back for somebody (and they knew it) they didn't give me a tip for making the effort. Don't forget the staff who get paid very little (£50 a week! Actually less than a pound an hour!) to make your holiday worth it. A fiver goes a long way for somebody earning such small amounts.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
And if you have an incident, do you want the deck boy managing the situation or someone who has been trained to do so and knows the appropriate protocols?

And not just an incident - people getting dodgy belly, seasickness, in some cases drunkenness, antisocial behaviour, getting agreement on diving or not diving in certain places, helping out with any broken equipment, managing people in and out of the water, fixing just about anything that guests complain about, dealing with HQ, it's certainly a job with a bit of responsibility.

Digs.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The one liveaboard I've done in the red sea the guide was average as a guide and pretty disinterested at most other times, apart from in one younger single girl on the boat who had a fair bit of attention, and was happy to reciprocate :tongue:

The crew were much more helpful so like Digger we biased our tip towards the crew, which was fine until the guide asked for his own 'tip', naming a price and trying to insist we pay as it was 'required'. Needless to say he didn't get anything from us at all in the end. That boat doesn't even appear to be in use any more.

·
All men are created equal, then some become Toads.
903 Posts

if i had an incident i do hope my dive buddy would help me quicker than dive guide would as i would be diving with him/her

most of the time the dive guide i have seen have to deal with to many divers under the water its about 10+ ? divers to every dive guide and lot more on big 02 boats

so i dont hold much hopes if my dive goes wrong with the dive guide helping me underwater

the dive boats the crew are more helpfull than the dive guide and should get bigger tips that was OP question ?

the crew they clean up and they help you with dive kit they make the dinner all the food they fill the tanks help you on and off boat with cameras

the dive guide they do ? protocols? you say ?

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
if i had an incident i do hope my dive buddy would help me quicker than dive guide would as i would be diving with him/her

most of the time the dive guide i have seen have to deal with to many divers under the water its about 10+ ? divers to every dive guide and lot more on big 02 boats

so i dont hold much hopes if my dive goes wrong with the dive guide helping me underwater

the dive boats the crew are more helpfull than the dive guide and should get bigger tips that was OP question ?

the crew they clean up and they help you with dive kit they make the dinner all the food they fill the tanks help you on and off boat with cameras

the dive guide they do ? protocols? you say ?
The liveaboard guides are not there to be underwater superheroes though are they? If that's your expectation, then I think you will be disappointed in them. The role you describe is 100% with your buddy - a guide might provide extra assistance if they can.

Their role is more one of marshalling and, if requested to, actually "guide" guests round the reefs.

The guide who does a really good job will be either really obvious for having done it .... or largely invisible because their apparent absence is not noticeable.

When a guide is invisible all week, tips up on a couple of dives to take some video, cuts it with stock footage then tries to charge you £40 for your souvenir .... then you know you have a bad "guide" :D

Mal

·
Daft Yank
219 Posts
Me too see you there Icelandic ash permitting.
Yes....it is hard enough to wait for the date to finally get here without having to obsess about the latest ash cloud pattern

Definitely looking forward to the trip - will you be there as part of a group?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts