YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a HP Ipaq .Never had a PDA before so total beginner :redface:
How do you put things like V Planner or sat nav software onto a PDA ? do you do it the same as a pc & it stores it on the PDA or do you transfer it onto SD cards ( or similar ) & " plug " each program in as you need it ?
TIA

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i have an hp ipaq mate
and i can use either the sd card in my computer or the cable conected via activesync ! although i think the cable option is as good as anything !

i suppose it depends what u r loading ! but ive never had any problems loading any exe files ! good luck with it and best wishes leigh :teeth:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Easiest way is to install the software on your PC, and then when you connect your PDA ActiveSync will ask if you want to install it onto that.

Alternatively a lot of programs also have a downloadable .cab version of the installer, which if you copy onto your PDA (or download directly to it) you can run from the PDA itself.

Both the same, just alternative ways of doing it.

David

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
you load them on by either dragging and dropping the files into the device when connected to the PC or running the program from the PC which does the transfer automatically. depends on the software. no need to put programs on individual cards but a word of advice, buy a good back up utility program as the4 newer devices do not have them pre installed.
oh and buy a big (>2Gb) memory card as it will soon fill up with programs music etc. I use mine as a games console, and an MP3 player so cards fill up rapidly.

·
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
storage

So I assume (probably wrongly) that the programs are stored on the memory card as oppossed to being on a " hard drive "?

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
So I assume (probably wrongly) that the programs are stored on the memory card as oppossed to being on a " hard drive "?
bit of both some of the important bits are on the internal storage. A lot of the pragrams use a 'library' of code already on the device I beleive.

·
246 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but, I have a T mobile vario 2 (Phone / PDA), and tried to load a gas blending programme. I copied the exe files to the flash card, but it tells me that there is no programme associated with it. Any ideas.
Thanks
Roger

·
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
which

Sorry to hijack this thread but, I have a T mobile vario 2 (Phone / PDA), and tried to load a gas blending programme. I copied the exe files to the flash card, but it tells me that there is no programme associated with it. Any ideas.
Thanks
Roger
would be interested to know which blending prog as thats one of the things I want on mine :frown:

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
You might find that you have to 'execute' the file on the PC and then active sync will copy the files across when you next sync.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts