YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I caught my first lobster last weekend, I didn't have a clue what I was doing both catching and preparing it! You do have to be super quick! hence the equipment question, I wasn't sure weather spears might be used?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I've always gone for "a take them from behind with the hand around the carapace" technique.
Some people use a hook to pull them out of holes but I'm not really comfortable with that - it seems a little unsporting.

Not really sure about the cooking. I've never managed to take one home as the only ones I've got to the surface have been thrown back in because they're too small. I think you want a large pan of boiling salted water and boil them until the shell is red.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha that's what I did! Agree hooking them from holes seems wrong.

I did consider throwing him back, and now after trying one, I would throw any others back, not that I'll be trying to catch any in future. I prefer to see them on the ocean floor than my plate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi my method is a stiff wire, four feet long put a 90' bend 3 inches. That's my tool.
Now!
First find a suitable lobster, put the wire over its head then gently tap it's rear end, lobster is confused, normally turns around and backs out of its hole, just to look who is behind it.
This put the lobster in the nice position to pick up behind it head, then into a thick plastic bag, elastic band around the bag keeps the lobster safe you can get three lobster in a bag,separated by the elastic bands, (never put lobsters together, they will destroy each other) So they are in there own compartment.
No force is ever used, you can inspect........ if small put back, if a female, berried, carrying eggs put back, only take for your own table, be selective,
But elastic bands around its claws,
Most Lobsters seen for sale are too small, they have not had chance to reproduce,
If you catch take sea weed, & sea water, keep them cool, keep in a dark place,
Treat them well.
It's very emotive to catch and kill but that's how we have evolved, some peoples view is, if you can not kill it you should not eat it.
We are very remote from the Chicken Nugget,
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Pop him in the freezer for an hour, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil then chuck him in. Can't remember for how long just Google that so you don't over cook.

Dish up with fresh bread, beer and mayonnaise. Do not ruin it with Thermidor.

The tap on the arse works as does a yellow knife handle. The lobster grabs it and you can pull him out. Don't take a berried or notched one. Minimum landing size is the length of my middle finger for the carapace length but that's a bit small :(

·
Karlos or Karl
1,001 Posts
Quick culinary tip on cooking the beasty;

Don't bother with the full pan off boiling water, as soon as you drop the big cold lobster in, the water temp will drop too far & takes ages to bring the lobster & water back to 100° to boil, you will likely either undercook or at worst overcook. The boiling water is only really practical if you have a huge catering size tub.

Best option is to steam him, steam is well in excess of boiling point so cooks much faster; just put about 2-3cm water in the pan, preferably with a trivet in, pop the lobster in (just killed is kinder) and put a tight fitting lid on. You won't lose the temp when you drop him in.

Cooking time is; 15mins to 25mins dependant on size in salted water.

Last point; don't kill too early, as soon as lobsters, prawns etc die, their liver starts to break down & will destroy the meat, this is why you won't find dead whole unfrozen or uncooked lobsters etc in the shop.

Good luck.

Karlos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.