YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sunday teatime and the hire car is gassed up and full of dive gear, so I log on to PM Paramedic Paul to see when he can drop his gear off, to find the Hermes dive is canned………….bugger.

As I had just put £40 of fuel into a car hired for one day, I decided it was either look for an alternative dive or siphon the petrol out :eek: we decided on Vobster. The alarm was due to go off at 6am but I was woken at 4.45 to find Wizard of Oz type wind and horizontal torrential rain.

Lesser folk may have been put off by this, but we Derbyshire people never forget the pioneering spirit that saw us break free from those Cousin marrying gangsta's in Nottingham, so I set off aquaplaning to pick up Paul.

The route planner said 3 hours 5 minutes, it took 4 ½ hours of stop start traffic, torrential rain, knob drivers stopping to look at floods and comedic one liners.

Paul’s map reading skills are second to none and he managed to find lost many times, eventually we came into some village that reminded us of Royston Vasey

Well and truly lost I said ''let’s stop and ask someone'' to which Paul replied ''no!! just because you are an honorary split ar*e, I still have Man pride'' :D

Finally and without the help of Man pride we found the signs for Vobster and parked at the waters edge, there were only 8 other divers there and the rain had started to ease to monsoon strength. After a cob and drink we kitted up and entered the water which was dryer than being on land.

We swam out to the tunnel buoy and descended, the water was clear until 14m but was considerably better than we anticipated.

Through the tunnel, around some building, then squeezed into a plane fuselage before making our way back out.

On surfacing we were overjoyed to find the rain had finally stopped and so Paul decided to pose beside his beloved catering van.

After an interval of playing with the dog, eating cobs, feeding the fish

and enjoying the break in the rain, we followed a dive plan hatched by Paul that was so cunning that people on horses would want to chase it around fields.

He took us to the fuselage from the opposite side :rolleyes: nevertheless we had a good dive and found another bit of the plane before turning round and heading back. As I’m on a course at the weekend I had decided to do a few mask clears, swaps and stage removals.

These were fine on the first dive and most were fine on this one except for one, were I started to drift up from around 4m while struggling to restow my main mask, I had my eyes shut as they are sensitive to water and only knew of my drifting when I felt a very gentle downward tug on my Force fin[obviously with thumb and forefinger] ;) so I replaced my mask and descended.

Unfortunately time was against us and we couldn’t do a 3rd dive so we packed up and started for home, again the journey took over 4 hours with regular updates from Tracy as to which roads had flooded back home.

I returned the car running on fumes which is the law apparently, and made my way home through power cuts and flooded roads.

Shame about Dover but at least we got wet…………….and we had a couple of enjoyable dives as well ;)

Sorry about the photos , they are from my mobile as Paul didn’t bring his camera because he was worried it may get wet :)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Glad you had fun in Vobster, but I think you will find that they served you rolls or baps, not cobs. Unless of course you have managed to find a way to fit bacon, egg and sausage into a yellow thing with knobbly bits ;)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you had fun in Vobster, but I think you will find that they served you rolls or baps, not cobs. Unless of course you have managed to find a way to fit bacon, egg and sausage into a yellow thing with knobbly bits ;)
Bloody Yokels :D

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
BUNS! Buns I tell you!
Thats what you girls keep in the back of your trousers....

... although some don't look as though you put enough yeast in then... :D

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Thats what you girls keep in the back of your trousers....

... although some don't look as though you put enough yeast in then... :D
Whereas we keep our baps elsewhere :wink:

Here's what a proper bun looks like :)

Anyhoo, back on thread - it made me laugh out loud when Steve mentioned finding 'lost' several times. I'll use that more myself!

Hxxx

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Tsk...stupid woman

Everybody knows that buns have currants in and a cross on top - der !!

Barm cake, BARM CAKE what the.... next you'll be telling me it's not a cake at all....wait....it isn't ?!!!

Graham (south and proud !!!) ;) ;) :)

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Thats a bloody bap, slight crust on top but easy to pry open with fingers. Bread roll is crispy and slices your gums if you bite it wrong (London).
A stottie is the size of a dustbin lid and is relatively flat and soft(Tyne). A bottom oven cake (lancs)is a powdery round discus shape thats cooked on the bottom. Barm cake is another powdery round thing that is also soft dough (Yorkshire)

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
The only one who's right on here is SOUTHERN DAVE!

That's a ROLL. Anyone who lives in the ROYAL county of Berkshire and speaks the Queens English knows that it's a roll.

As mentioned too a bun has currants in it.

Good grief you are ALL heathens!

:angel:

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Thats a bloody bap, slight crust on top but easy to pry open with fingers. Bread roll is crispy and slices your gums if you bite it wrong (London).
A stottie is the size of a dustbin lid and is relatively flat and soft(Tyne). A bottom oven cake (lancs)is a powdery round discus shape thats cooked on the bottom. Barm cake is another powdery round thing that is also soft dough (Yorkshire)
A CRUSTY roll will slice your gums but it's not a bap, it's a bun I tell you!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.