YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Couldn't make todays dive at Loch Long unfortunately - does anyone fancy another dip this Saturday or Sunday?

Can anyone recommend the best dive sites on these Lochs (or point me to this info if its already on the YD site).

Many thanks  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Sorry you couldn't make todays soiree. You should have been there it was amazing!!! check out my comment on the recent trips page. I'm afraid I can't make Sat as I'm walking in Torridon. Have a great day. If its like today on Sat, weather wise, go to Congar alley, Its down the west side of Loch Long about 500m before the turn inland to Fyne, Park just before the cottage on the right as you drive south west, between the layby on the right and the cottage really, nearer to the cottage. Its tight and only a car width but it fine should you get off the road. Walk down to the loch side, opposite the cottage entrance, via a slope which has been lined with concerite by some kind sole. The dive site is opposite where you park your car, so its into the water and hang a left decending to 15m. After a couple of minutes you should hit the reef. Its just a sloping area strewn with rocks. Under some of them are Congars, and the place has quite a few Wrasse there too. Its a bit baren upto the reef but nice once your there. The reef peters out at about 20-22m I think. My last two dives there were Night and Ice dives. Really great, seeing a seal on the night dive, but don't expect to see any as they only come up at night I think. Its a great little place as you can swim back at 6m off gassing as you return to the exit. Have a really great day.

Dave C

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Hi Keith, did you enjoy Conger Alley last week?  Anyway, look into the link below to see who is diving the Loch's at the weekend.  Budgy and Peter usually post  dives.

Catch ya later

Billy (Glasgow South SAC)
Scottish divers forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Yes it was great diving at Conger Alley (thanks again Peter et.al) and well worth the drive.

I just wanted to check that there would be others diving before coming up again.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Just to be a pedant! It's actually Conger "ALI" not Conger "ALLEY". It's named after a guy who put down tyres thinking it would attract Congers. Only after he did this someone found there was a reef 20 yards away full of the beasts. The rows of tyres are still about though I've only seen them 1/2 dozen times out of 50/60 dives there.
  Those that have dived "The Ali" with me know I have a certain "understanding" with Congers. Lovely animals that are deeply mis-understood. My favourite sea animals, except maybe Dogfish!

Peter

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Be honest peter it was you doing the Warhammer when you had a look at that conger

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I am trying to get myself included in this as I have not managed to get away anywhere on my weeks holiday.

Who is actualy going to be there on Sunday? Is there anyone travelling up on the M6 corridor from England or does anyone want to? Does anyone fancy staying over and doing Monday as well? Let me know if you can answere any of the above.

James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Hi James,

I'm not sure who else will be there but I'll be going up on Sunday. I shall be at the Pit Stop diner in Arrochar for 10'ish if you want to meet up (blue Toyota Prius X928...).

My mobile no is 0775 2324000 if you need directions.

Keith

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Jan. 01 2004,19:21)]Just to be a pedant! It's actually Conger "ALI" not Conger "ALLEY". It's named after a guy who put down tyres thinking it would attract Congers.
Its the way you tell em.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>i quite fancy doing this trip but i'll have to convince non diving better half it was a nice day for a drive as i only get sundays off at the moment.
if i manage i'll be heading up m6 from penrith (jn 40)

can anyone tell me where the caves are ?. i've dived conger ali(?) and the oil terminal but never the caves

cheers
        mark

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

They're kinda halfway in between each other. If you go into Arrochar, turn first left towards the Pit Stop and carry on along that road. About 2mls down you go across a wee bridge with blue spraypaint saying "Wilson" on it and various, err, Loyalist TLA's. At either side of the bridge there is space for 2/3/4 cars. It depends how well other folk have parked there and how thoughtful they have been. Get kitted up here and go "under" the road. You'll see a tunnel to do this.
Clamber down to the water. That's the wet stuff at the other side and go in. It stays at standing depth for a couple of metres then drops down to 30-odd. Stay to the boulder slope on your left as you're heading down and once you've got to your chosen depth just follow the shoreline along. Do the dive and head directly back to shore where you can swim back to the exit off-gassing at around 6mtrs.
It's a great dive, "BUT", I wouldn't attempt it without someone that knows it. No real dangers, but it can be disorientating and there is a lot of line.

Best dive in Loch Long!
Peter

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>thanks peter, now that you mention it i have seen divers there in the past but i didn't realise that was the caves.

cheers
       mark

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Hmm, if the caves is a "great" dive I wouldn't like to see a "bad" one

wouldn't consider any of the Loch Long dives worth driving up from south of the border to dive.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>where else would you suggest rupert ?.  preferably not too far from north cumbria. my club spends most of the time in ullswater and i'm sick of looking at silt

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Loch Fyne is a bit better but I suppose it depends on what you think of as a good dive. I have never lived more than 40 miles away from Loch Fyne and wouldn't bother going to dive them again.
 I suppose it takes all sorts, I never have dived just for the sake of getting wet, it needs to be something interesting

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rupert Bear @ Jan. 07 2004,09:34)]Hmm, if the caves is a "great" dive I wouldn't like to see a "bad" one

Point taken! But it's not a bad dive. It's the best Loch Long and, to be honest, most of Loch Fyne has to offer(Without a boat).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wouldn't consider any of the Loch Long dives worth driving up from south of the border to dive
Neither would I, but you need to remember, even Conger or Finnart is a "good" dive to Southereners.

It's allright for you anyway! Sitting up in Oban with your wee boat, smart ar*e

Peter

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Jan. 07 2004,14:47)][ you need to remember, even Conger or Finnart is a "good" dive to Southereners.
southerner ? bloody southerner ? i'm only about 25miles from jockland  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (markg @ Jan. 07 2004,15:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Jan. 07 2004,14:47)][ you need to remember, even Conger or Finnart is a "good" dive to Southereners.
southerner ? bloody southerner ? i'm only about 25miles from jockland  
Look at a map Mark. See Glasgow, see where you are? That makes you a Southerener!

No funny comments Rupert. We all know Oban's North of Glasgow.

Peter

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Jan. 07 2004,15:25)]No funny comments Rupert. We all know Oban's North of Glasgow.
Glasgows not even North of the Highland line. I thought you were born the wrong side of the border anyway?

I haven't dived any of the Lochs for at least 3-4 years, well before buying a boat as I didn't think they were worth the effort except as a good place for a midweek night dive that was local. It depends what you like I suppose but there are no good wrecks in the Loch's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>hmmmm......correct me if i am wrong peter but i'm sure i read a while back that you weren't actually born in scotland.
p.s. i am a member of ssac if that makes me any more northern

1 - 20 of 21 Posts