YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

After bouncing a few rocks on the surface, I didn't fancy breaking the ice at Conger.  My brain was running in neutral, I forgot to collect the park and dive tickets from our southern cousins.  Peter wimped out, Biker Bill and his mates didn't get alarm clocks for Christmas and I missed Angus Mc Nasty,  unless he was with the people in the red car.  Edward and I went and had a dive at the caves.  It was a bit cold for marigolds and maybe next year I'll get myself a dry dry suit.  Only one passing lady stopped to say, "You must be mad."

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hey guys what a great day out.

The dive was up to its usual standard, ok vis, usual Large wrasse (plural?) floating about the reef. Unfortunately I forgot my little goody bag with computer, compas, torch etc.. but that didn't stop me and Frogman getting in, with me leading and frogman montioring our dive profile. We followed three other non YD divers (they don't know what their missing) into the ice flow. It was about 5mm (thats about a quater of an inch, for the oldies) thick and a couple of times my tank stopped when it hit the ice and I thought I'd walked into a diver surfacing behind me. Angus McNasty and his merry bunch thought this was hilarious scoffing loudly from the shore.

The shore was like a winter palace. The surface water (run off from the streams) around the loch was layered about a meter thick on the surface. As the sea level decended ebbing, fresh water was left on the shore freezing as the sea withdrew. This produced a smooth continuous undulating sheet of ice which stretched from the high water line down to the waters edge. Large Rocks and bolders took on the appearence of grey stone chicks hatching from their icy egg shells as the ice cracked open exposing the rock beneath. The ice then continued out across the loch to the other side. The whole of the loch was frozen to the other side and up to Arrochar. This coupled with the clear blue sky and frosted hills behind produced a stunning picture. Frogman took loads of pictures which I can't wait to see. The view from under the ice was also stunning. The sun glinting through the ice with rays cutting through the thiner parts streaming through the water. On the return we followed the line of the submerged shore to where we thought, looking up, the entry point was only to be rudely bumped on the head as we hit the ice. The Air expelled left darker patches (the sea bed reflected) I felt sure was the hole in the ice we entered by. After another bump my head was through and my navigational error realised. Submerging we came up in the right place second time and exited. We were rewarded when Angus and Co exited after their dive when they kept popping up at diferent places in the ice. You would see a large bubble of air growing under the ice soon to be followed by a fist and then another then finally a head would emerge look around and then disapear again. Hillarious. This day has been right up there for shear atmospheric presence both above and below the ice.

Angus McNasty turned out to be nothing like his username, He should change it to Angus McPerfect-Gent. Hope to see you again Angus.

Dave C

p.s. Both Frogman and I were really impressed that Angus and Co, didn't start their dive until we were safely out of the water. Nice one mate.  

·
Formerly Angus!
292 Posts
Imported post

Nice write up Dave, couldn't have summed it up better myself.

Shame you ruined my street cred!    
  Not nasty indeed!

Next time we will have to meet up for tea and scones.

Happy diving

Angus

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Budgy, we were there early bells had a dive (just as Davy described) left about 11am back home for 12.15pm fecking unusual or what, considering we are never in the water before 12am
 Great dive although my fingers were a bit numb.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I guess it's me that needs the new alarm clock, in the water just after 12, you must of left just before I arrived.  I've never seen it frozen over before, I thought it was too cold to hang around for a second dive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

We would have had a second dive and I would have liked to meet some of the YDers, however, it was young William's birthday and I promised to take him and Nicole to the bowling. Almost broke my thumb...don't ask

Budgy, I was looking for you at the Torpedo base, thought you and Peter would be there looking for the launcher.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

'Fraid the launcher, or tube, is nowhere near the base. It's not even on that side of the Loch! Where it is shall remain classified information at the moment on a need to know basis only, and I'm afraid, you don't need to know. Until it's been found and, err, suitibly salvaged of course.

I only know "roughly" where to go into the water and have no idea where to look once I'm in. Not even too sure what I'm looking for once I'm in, but I'll recognise it if I see it, I think!

Peter

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

A torpedo launcher is supposed to be directly opposite the torpedo base, I have never dived for it nor do I know anyone who has found it.  Good luck.  I thought a torpedo launcher was a submarine

I found a torpedo years ago in Loch Long, somebody had tied a rope to it at one point in the past hoping to bring it up.  I am sure it was south of the caves, but don't quote me, as I have looked for it since and can not find it.  Must look through my log books.

Have a good New Year Peter / Budgy and to the rest of the YDers.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Be aware that there are security cameras up and down the loch with large heavily armed Military policemen watching them!  

Kirkie branch found and recovered a practice torpedo only to have the police show up and thank them for all their hard work and get them to load it on their truck. Another was found and recovered last year by people who shall remain nameless cos they didn't get caught

You pays your money and takes your choice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Nice photo's Rick.  Liked number 14 and the one with the conger.  
Billy

PS would you mind if I posted a link to your photo's on my forum, as some people don't believe that the loch was frozen over.

Scottish Divers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts