YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've seen this a lot,another recent post quoted from a group organising dives which stated minimum entry level of 500 UK dives.If they're not going to take your word for it one must presume that they want to see your log book,after all what proof does one have to say you are who(and what) you claim.
I wonder because as a PADI OW(or something like that)I have not one dive logged.I've done 1 or 2,indeed enough to get qualified and it strikes me that my non-recording of dives could stop me potentialy having a dive in some circumstances.
I'm not saying it's wrong,just that there are many people out here who I bet don't or have'nt logged their dives,what do we do with them? Ask them to start from scratch?We may not know them and this is technicaly the safest thing to do.Having said that Hans Hass did'nt log his dives,neither did old Jaques,at least in the beginning,I wonder what they'd say if we told them that?
We could exclude them,this is also technically a safe thing to do,but is it the best solution for all concerned?
It struck me that really,other than a log(and perhaps a reputation) we don't have any real indication to someone's abilities and experience.Flip side is also,as I say,that just because they don't have a log does'nt make them a non-entity.
I'm not really sure what I'm getting at now!Any thoughts?(On my point,not my apparent onset of dementia!)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Yes, that's a good observation that loggin XXX dives doesn't guarantee quality anymore than not logging doesn't guarantee inability (too mmany double-negatives??).

However, if  a diver isn't bothered about progressing beyond an entry level qualification it isn't going to be too much of an issue, but it IS going to be an issue if that diver wants to be taken seriously by the more adventurous element of diving.

I think though that logging of dives IS advisable, certainly for BSAC divers, as, upon joining a new branch, the first thing you would expect from a DO is "can I have a look at your QRB (qualification record book) & Log book please?" That would have ben my instinct as DO

I had to produce my log book and sit a theory exam plus do a check-out-dive to dive with NOAA in the states and TBH, the onlyfolk I've met who definately DON'T log their dives are marine scientists who don't tend to do recreational diving, so I'm not sure how widespread that is - sounds like another poll style question for the forum: "to log or not to log , that is the question...."
Regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Must admit, I am about 30 dives behind my logging - got bored writing - Max depth 34m, dive time 35 mins, saw - "Fuck All". I have gone as far with PADI as I intend and by now, even though I have done over 30 dives since the last logged one, I'd be making alot of detail up if I HAD to reconstruct them which seems to defeat the purpose.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Gotta say heads I'm nearly as bad as you.

Every now and then I'll log time and depth from the computer and that's about it. However, sometime I wish I could be arsed when I had a good day out. Then again I can usually remember most of the details anyway.

I did think of doing a blog for my diving that might encourage me to log more details but so far I'm not enthused enough.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Can I ask what might be a silly question?

Why NOT log even the bare minimum?  It takes 2 minutes at most to record the date, site, depth & bottom time.

If you are inspired enough you can add all the other details, but if not, never mind.  then you have the necessaries in case someone asks, and you have the memories of all the great dives recorded in order of when they happened.

Even just a few dives ago some of the dives start to blur, or I forget the name of the wreck, or which dive of the day I saw what on.  My logbook is a handy aide memoir, diary and technical helpbook (how much weight *did* I use last time I was in the Red Sea in my 3mm wetsuit with ally tank???).

All for 2 mins over a post dive choccy bar....

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Cos if I take my log book anywhere near water it's gonna get wet and soggy.

Lazy Gav

·
Registered
104 Posts
Imported post

Try and keep an up to date log book for the reasons already stated.  Furthermore, it is better to show a dive leader an up to date log book when diving abroad, saves a lot of hassle. I used to write in everything shore / boat entry what I saw, how much air and so on, now it is max depth, duration and dive site.

Big Steph

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Lou on 4:54 pm on Oct. 29, 2002
Can I ask what might be a silly question?

Why NOT log even the bare minimum?  It takes 2 minutes at most to record the date, site, depth & bottom time.
<span =''>
Because I am bone idle - pure and simple. Not a great excuse but the absolute truth.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Agree with what's been said so far, particularly the point about establishing experience.

With the more advanced stuff an up to date log book I feel is a much better indication on whether he or she is up to a particular dive.
This is particularly relevant with perhaps the Padi qualification below Divemaster, where there isn't a requirement to have these varified annually ie the qualification may have been attained a while ago.

Presume holders of the BSAC qualifications still have the requirement to have the qualification book stamped every year?.

For my part I like to record a fair bit of detail for each dive. I find this helpfull when returning to a particular site or planning visits, suprising what information comes in handy, tides, bearings etc etc

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Heads Up on 7:40 pm on Oct. 29, 2002
Because I am bone idle - pure and simple. Not a great excuse but the absolute truth.
<span =''>

Don't you have a downloadable computer that logs your basic dive info for you then..?

If not, this little gadget might be of interest to you:
<a href="http://www.reefnet.on.ca/sensus_pro.html

Personally," target="_blank">http://www.reefnet.on.ca/sensus_pro.html

Personally,</a> I keep a full record of my dives these days - the time, the place, the buddy, what I did, the whole thing. It's nice to be able to look back at past dives and be reminded of the highlights..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Presume holders of the BSAC qualifications still have the requirement to have the qualification book stamped every year?.
<span =''>

not in my experience, been with BSAC for about 5-6 years, maybe got lost in the chancge from 1st 2nd 3rd class diver to CD/SD/DL etc

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guys
I think it all depends on what you wish to do. Some people are more interested in having their log book signed than they are in the actual dive, for some queer reason. Another thing is, if you are diving with club orientated people then that would be normal practice and especially so if you are on deep wreck dives or foriegn holiday with a club. However, I have found when you do lots of similar dives week in and week out, year in and year out, especially diving solo, it seems rather a waste of time. I filled in my first 50-dives and kept a log on a number of holidays for 5-years and then gave up filling in the log book. I don't need anything to remind me what a dive site is like because I have it in my head.
The only problem you may have, is when visiting different countries and someone wants you to show how much experience you have, but they can very quickly find out once in the water.

Cheers Ron

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Well I got more response from that than I expected! Thing is,as usual,everyone's correct.Lou's right,it takes a couple of minutes......I am however from the same school as HeadsUp and am as lazy as a pig in s**t(It's not a good excuse but it's mine and I like it).Procrastination is,as they say, the theif of time.I don't think I've logged a pleasure dive for years,however it has been for that purpose solely,not aspiring to a higher qual or anything.I only logged my work dives at first or if I needed to,at one point when working for one co.I did'nt log any for months,despite diving daily,ahem..again,Heads was right it was all so boring and monotonous.I have no computer thingys (can't find a plug lead long enough)to record for me so I tend not to,but yes I should.
Ron hits it on the head,I've never had a problem even abroad as once you're in the water it hopefully shows something about your abilities.Just struck me that as we face growing legislation etc.it may become harder to dive.Do places like Stoney ask to see a log?

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

All stoney need is a OW qualification or BSAC equiv.
I dont reckon log books are really ever going to be that major an issue (legislation) as they can be easily faked. Whats to stop someone putting two hundred dives in a book!!

Like you say the best way to show experience is when u jump in, or on a computer as it cannot lie!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've logged every dive I've ever done, mainly for my own sake. I like looking back in my logbooks and seeing what it was I saw at a particular site. However, I've manged to get to PADI divemaster level and do around 40 dive trips abroad over 14 years with only having to show my logbook once, and that was in order to get the PADI 500 logged dives cert some years ago, when I was less qualified and more of a badge collector. I have friends that have been diving since the sixties, done several thousand dives, and have never logged a dive. When they go abroad and get asked how many dives they've done they just say "No idea". It's never been a problem.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

When I first started diving I used to log my dives ( so I have something to remember ) then I forgot where I put my logbook some 15 years ago.
Now I am in the HeadsUp club
:eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Dive centres should be checking log books in conjunction with c-cards as a guide to exp levels so from the recreational divers point of view then logging 'should' give you a certain amount of 'status' (for want of a better word) with them, esp when you first turn up.

Also good practice if nothing else as it retains knowledge which can be useful in the future.

With my PADI OWSI hat on then I will always look for logged dives as a precurser to con-ed courses - it's a standard I have to adhere to if nothing else

From a personal view I will log all dives I do when teaching but havn't logged every dive by a long way - one season away working and you just can't be bothered - logged 230 but done around 475-500

Put the basiscs if nothing else in the book - wont do any harm

Dive safe
Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
Imported post

Regarding faked log books, I remember a few years ago a trainee who I had signed up as a 3rd class diver (ScotSAC now Sport Diver), purchased a new book as his first log book was full with approx 50 dives.  I met him some 6 or 7 months later to discover that he had logged 200 odd dives!!

Big Steph

1 - 20 of 48 Posts