YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Prime mate
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Several times I have seen it mentioned that "someone" "somewhere" was nearly strangled by their hog-rigged long hose when their buddy was OOA.

Can anybody, anywhere, find any evidence for this story?

ta muchly

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

No. Because it's fiction.
HTH

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Actually Kevin Gurr said that is why he uses a bungied long hose. He said in an article in 990 that one of his students nearly got strangled in a drill. Don't know what kind of drill it was, but it doesn't sound like an OOA drill

Andy

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Imported post

Actually lettuce the article said that the student was "nearly strangled when hit for a gas share" but dont know the details at all.  I dont quite understand how when all you need to do is dip the old loaf but that is what the article said - suppose if the person was behind and took from the left hand side maybe or just pulled without giving the person time to dip their head but then they would have run out of hose first if it was clipped under the light canister? - me I don't know - think that the hog rig is good if you could hang stages on the rhs - use it if no stages though
Dinger

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (siltmonkey @ Mar. 09 2004,16:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Several times I have seen it mentioned that "someone" "somewhere" was nearly strangled by their hog-rigged long hose when their buddy was OOA.

Can anybody, anywhere, find any evidence for this story?
When I did my trimix class, my intructor tried this on me (I was using a DIR config. and had been cave diving for a while. He was trying to show that my config. was not the "only" way)  He grabbed my primary reg from behind and to the left and locked the long hose under my chin.  Admittedly, it was quite difficult to get out of, but I think I managed it.

The stories of near strangulation are quite bizzare and I don't believe it's possible.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've had mine pulled from just about every angle when we were trying to decide which way we wanted to do it, but all that happens is you get spun round. The resistance in the water would have to be pretty high for there to be pressure on your throat for more than an instant.

It is a good system, but it doesn't work with my hood-mounted lights, so I'm back to stuffing it, which works for me.

Why not try it out? Get someone and brief them to try and get it round your neck when they do it. I tried it and failed, and my buddy at the time had a lot of difficulty trying to do it to me. There's a lot of advantages to doing it this way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Imported post

IIRC the drill that caused the 'strangulation' was a lights out air share.  The donor swims off up a line or maybe the side of a wreck.  When the donor is 5 to 10m away the OOA  breathes out and hot foots it after them.  On locating the donor the OOA climbs up their cylinders, locates the donors head and pulls the reg.  

If the OOA pulls the reg up over the head or from the right there is no problem.  If however they try to take the reg from the left it can loop around the donors neck.  The OOA then yanks to try and free the hose.  This takes any slack out the hose, preventing it from being unhooked and pulls the donor's head up preventing the donor from reaching their neck tethered secondary.

I have seen it happen on a training course.  I have aslo seen a stuffed hose fail to deploy.  

The other problem with wrapping is that during stage replacement you have to be careful not to trap the regulator hose under the stage.  This prevents the full length of the hose being deployed.

I still wrap...but avoid left handed buddies!

Regards
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts