YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Finally I have got myself back in the briny. I went along to Portencross(Clyde) to sit about and watch Budgy(Nice day, perhaps a beer or two on the pier) but, just happened to take my gear along. After he'd been in an hour I looked at the pier and thought "Bu**er it. No time like the present". So kitted up and instead of the worry of the walk to the shore and bumbling about on the surface I opted for the 2 1/2mtr jump entry off the pier (No time to think and fret on the surface).
 So in the water I was trying to dump air and get down. Methinks I've put on a bit of blubber over the past few months as I struggled to get down. After a bit of frantic hand waving I got down to the dizzying depths of 6mtrs and had a look at my computer. (Future note to self- Remember computer goes on wrist and not in the van). I've a spare depth gauge on my console so not to worry. I knew I wasn't going any deeper than 6/7mtrs so a timer was not that important.
   I started going through a few drills (Mask clearing, reg swapping, etc) and after 20mins'ish I threw up the SMB and came out.
  I saw a Starfish, a Crab, a Squat Lobbie, I even think I might have seen a fish at one point.
  Got back to the van and waited on Budgy coming out after his dive.
 Hung about for an hour or so and went in for a number 2 with Budgy this time. I paddled about(6/7mtrs again) untill sods law struck. Looked up and burst my neck seal. After the initial thought of "F**k me, I need this like a hole in the head right now" I signalled to him that I was getting cold and left him to his own devices as I headed out.
 I realise soloing was not the bestest way to go but it was only 6mtrs and in a safe site that I know. No depth, no deco, no time limits.
I'll start building myself back up to a reasonable depth but there is no way I'm going back to 30/40/50 mtrs for a loooong time untill I've done a full system check on my body and how well it deco's itself now. I can see a Adv Nitrox course in the near future to sling 100% for deco.
 It's been a long haul but 'tis great to be back.

Peter

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Good to see you got back to tell the tale Peter, I'm sure you dont need me to tell you to take it steady. Looks like YD are slowly getting back to all divers again - nice to know.

Matt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Welcome back Peter.

Looking forward to reading your progress reports.

Maybe Matt and yourself can get back to some constructive abuse!!

Safe diving.

Kev

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Absolutely no doubt about that, I have a cunning plan, it involves softening him up bit then leting him have it straight up the skirt, sorry kilt. Not sure whether to do it on here or Handbag.net, trouble is he'll be expecting it on the other side.

Matt

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Well in Peter - welcome back !!!!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Well done mate and welcome back to the briny.

Regards

Paul

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Terrific to hear you're back in the water mate - the bear with the sore head's finally got some Anadin!

Best of luck & take it easy

Rob

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Felt up to driving a bit of distance yesterday (Wed 18th), and visited Portencross to learn to navigate the bloo*y motorway system.  (I hate that sodding motorway network), and had a pretty good day out.  A bit hair-raising on the drive back, due to some wan*er not allowing me to change lanes on the motorway (pull hard to the left, close eyes - it works!) but liked the look of the site.  I will dive it when I'm fit enough to dive.  Hopefully next weekend, but I don't know.  See how it goes.  Dive safely folks.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Top news Dude,

My experience of Jocks (varied and numerous) is that they prefer diving salt and prefer drinking malt. Next question.

Good to have you back mate - does this mean we'll be graced with the Kelly presence in Anglesey???

Large it, that man!

RSVP.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Yes Mr Tierney. I shall be there with my party hat on and singing songs, swigging down the Tequila. Those that were at the Sound of Mull gig will know I've got a wee ponchant(sic) for the Mexican laughing liquid. Alas, the wee Irish birds' man ain't having it8o(  I had to take myself off the hardboat as 4x30mtr dives didn't seem too sensible. I'd like to drive back from Angelsey rather than get choppered. I'll do a couple of shore dives unless there is an empty space on the RIB that I can sneak onto. I'll see at the time though. Also, if anyone can do a Nitrox course PM me and I'll get something squared away between the two of us. I'll put that on the personal ads bit as well. Looking forward too it as I intend to settle a few scores. Yes Mr Binnie, I'm looking at you......

Peter

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>parahandy
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Great Stuff Pete,
Peter is the name.
The Scotsman is a little bit touchy about that.
He doesn't mind:- Kilt swinging, Caber tossing,
whiskey drinking bar steward though.  

Peter glad to see you back in the water m8.
Take it easy this time.
Cheers
Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts