YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I got up at 4am and despite the 300.6mile drive I was second out side the gates of Crapenwray this morning such was my desire to dive the YBOD.

So how was it?

OK first the preamble on dry land was very basic nothing on pre testing the unit or scrubber packing etc so all the grotty pre dive planning bits were glossed over but hey they had limited time and a load of keen divers so no complaints.

So it was a quick once round the basic controls and kit up and in the water.

First problem was lead. 14KG was recommended
??  for the first attempt. Seeing as I dont even use a weight belt I had thought the 10KG I had with me was more than adequate so I went for that. (Mistake No 1)

Having got over the shock of putting on a weight belt for the first time since my PADI OW training I was in for shock No2.

How the hell do you put this bloody thing on?

The mouthpiece double hose drops down over your head so you kind of have to wiggle up underneath it. Its like my toilet seats at home the bloody thing wont stay up long enough for you to sort your kit out.

So with a bit of assistance I am in the rig. Having dived a wing for the last two years I am a bit shocked to have a chest full of stuff. Big inflated kind of stuff that got in the way.

Then I couldn’t find the straps or the chest clip strap so all in all I was not impressed with ease of donning the unit.

First major plus point.

I stood up and despite the 10 KG of lead it felt as light as a feather. (compared to twin 12's) Fantastic.

So off skipping and hopping I went to the waters edge without even breaking a sweat.

Andy the instructor gave me the basics again, demonstrating how to close the mouthpiece and how to add dilluant (02 was disconnected for safety). Then another major pisser the Dry suit hose wont fit my Apex nipple. This meant I would have to fly the wing using the auto air. This was my first experience with an Auto air and I can safely say they look like cheep crap and they breath like cheep crap even at 7m.

So breathing off the loop all the way into the water to ensure I have at least some 02 in the Mix I descended for the first time.

No ADV on this unit so the counter lungs bottomed out straight away. I added a bit of dilluant to cover this and immediately shot up to the surface from 3m. Bugger

The counter lung dump was not easy to find at a push and I fafed until Andy came to help.

Down we go again. I am 0.5mm off the bottom and trying desperately to hover without going up. Innumerable times I tried to alter my buoyancy by breathing in until the counter lungs turned inside out but this of course had bugger all effect on my available lift.

So a bit more air in the wing. Squirt Squirt, bugger thats too much and I a heading up desperately trying to get the dammed auto air to dump some gas.

So having popped up again from about 4m I am now pretty pissed off.

Worse still, Andrew seems to be having no trouble at all and has buggered off. I avoid mental melt down by consoling my self that he has an ADV and I dont and he has a Dry suit hose and I dont. This of course was no excuse but it made me feel better.

Attempt 3

Down we go again and I am adding imperceptibly small amounts of gas to the wing and achieve a very tenuous link with the world of buoyancy control. I feel like my first ever dry suit dive all over again.

At this point we stop and do the bail out drill. Andy demonstrates and I follow. This involves holding a ring at the side of the mouthpiece and rotating the whole mouthpiece down a quarter turn to shut it.

Then you let it go and it floats above your head and you go for the crappy breath auto air. Process reversed and we are off again.

I now notice that Andy (Instructor) stayed about 1.0m off the bottom and finned down if he started to move up and finned up if he started to move down. I very carefully adjusted my position to match his and attempted to follow his pattern of diving.

What do you know it worked. No more trips to the surface.

At this point about 15mins into the dive I realised that I haven’t checked my handsets once. Total muppit alert with bells on. I check both and find the set point of 0.7 and three readings all around .65 PPo2 on master and slave units.

I curse the bugger who set up the Master unit on the left where my hand dare not leave the unfamiliar controls of the Auto air for fear of instant trip to the surface.

I check the units regularly now and all is well throughout the rest of the dive.

Dont ask about the dive I remember nothing I was 98% focused on buoyancy control and 1% focused on keeping a normoxic mix available to breath. The remaining 1% of my available brain capacity was trying to assess other aspects of the unit. I had a dry throat, which surprised me, but I was probably breathing to shallow and to fast so I wont pay much attention to that. I was surprised at the limited capacity of the counter lungs. I was easily able to over fill them and collapse them on one big breath and was curious to know what strenuous exercise was like breathing the unit. The gauges poking out, auto air poking out, counter lungs and breathing loop felt untidy and cumbersome. I wanted to strap things down and tidy them up to get a more streamlined feel to the unit but most of all I wanted that Auto air secured so it would always be to hand. I also wanted to sort the dump out for the counter lungs so I didnt have to flip the breathing loop out of the way to find it.

Apart form that it was great  

I liked the whole concept of the CCR I liked the reduced weight, I liked the fact that you didnt have to worry about how much gas you had left. I also dont think the problems I encountered are more than half a dozen trips to Stony's worth in reality.

So did I like it? Yes and No

They had an Azimuth there and I liked the clean lines and clear chest area. I especially liked the instantly recognisable wing configuration. I should have asked to dive that too but I thought for £15 I was pushing my luck. I liked the Azimuth mouth piece with the lever for switching on and off (much easier to use in a pinch than the Inspiration and a single handed operation too which might be essential. Unfortunately I cant afford the Azimuth unit so its not and issue.

So despite the back to basics just call me numpty dive, it looks like a CCR is on the shopping list for next year. I still want a crack at the KISS before making a final decision though.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Need to add a bit, I had the unit with the ADV, it makes a difference, it gives a boyancy option Mark didn't have, i.e., push a bit of air out your nose and you can sink a bit, take a deep breath it lets a bit more air in the loop and you rise a bit.

On the whole, I loved it, I was easy to convince though. I have to agree about the auto air, it's pants, I never want to use one again, the opening and closeing of the mouthpiece is a pain, and the mouthpiece itself was awful, give me my comfo-bite (yes that really is it's name) back.

I had to give up on the wing, it beat me totally, I had no idea how to put air in, let alone how to dump it, the hose itself is in a stupid place and I found it nigh on impossible to get my hand onto the shoulder dump to open it up as I ended up flying the suit. But these are niggles, I'll say it again, I loved it, I WANT ONE, and I SHALL HAVE ONE.

Andrew.

p.s. Capenwray is OK as an inland site.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

...and it was jolly nice to meet you both.  Glad you enjoyed the day and here's to us northeners getting down your neck'o'the woods soonest.

tanx

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,
you're crap you are. See what your bud Vic said about having to learn all sorts of stuff all over again?
The physics and physiology is reasonably easy to get a grip of - diving the bloody thing is a different matter, because of its bouyancy characteristics.  Still, way back when you did your OW you were all over the place (don't you lie to me!!) and it's much the same diving CCR.  You dive it, you practice and gradually you get the hang of it.  Same as OC, only different.  Erm.

It has to be said that shallow water is the worst possible place to try a CCR  - all the bouyancy differences are exacerbated by the shallow depth.  If you'd been at 70m you'd have been fine

Therein lies the rub.  They're a bastard when shallow - where you can go as a newbie - , but an utter dream from >20m - where you can't go as a newbie.  You'll love it. Trust me, I'm a Saudi airline pilot.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Mark and AndyP,

Top lads, travelling all that way (600 mile round trip!) for a butcher's at the Box and to hook-up with YD's Saturday contingent. It was good to see ya both and share the banter.

See ya both soon and yes, we must book that 'YD 2004, Southern Tour'. Seeing as AndyP's last James Egan Lane gig was such a stormer, do you wanna take the reins Andy and org the above Troop Gig??

Cheers,

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I'll sort out a weekend next summer when i'm off.  Fri through Mon ok?

Anyway, here's some piccies......

Ben in his 'cool' hat

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Ben in his 'cool' hat...

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

some guy on a box...

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

one of the customers.

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

this one's not Chasey as he is not at the surface or on the bottom

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

...and one more YBOD pic.

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

And the coolest man in the Cape that day, modelling the latest in RBwear this year.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello guys,

Can you stop this thread, as I asked the YBOD as Xmas present and my wife told me that I didn't behave this year  

I am temped to do a try dive either this year or next  

Nice pics too.

Pierre

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I suggest you behave then Pierre.  Watch the personal ads column, 'cos I reckon theres gonna be some inverted twinsets appearing on there shortly!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I asked the YBOD as Xmas present
Thats a pretty nice xmas present.

About buoyancy on the YBOD on the shallows. I have been spoilt on try dives, after a 30min pool session the first and only time I have dived a YBOD open water was in the blue hole on gozo. After some issues getting off the surface I found buoyancy very easy to control - we went to about 25m, I loved it!

The guy I was with commented on how easy I seemed to find it. I have since spoken to people who think that this may have been because the owner of the box and I are about the same height, weight and build and it is set up for him and it worked for me... It felt very natual though!

Damn my credit card company. They have just extended my limit so I could actually afford one!!

Paul

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Oh dear... the Yellow Borg have assimilated MC - you can tell he's been tampered with, there's no spelling mistakes

Let us know how you get on with a KISS..

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I just love that mask seal Ben.

Good writeup Mark, one day I will have one too.....

Adrian

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

Not that I am hooked or any thing but I just booked a full day on the YBOD ay Wraysbury on the 6th November

Its a try before you buy thing I just want to be absolutely sure that its the thing for me before I go for it.

Any body got a contact for where I can try dive the KISS??

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>cheeky bugger,

it was a last minute pose for the camera post dive. Us hard northerners dont worry about things like mask seals anyway !! Only put the helmet back on coz andy was begging to take a photo of my big white helmet........

Sunday was pretty much the same as saturday only better weather. Nicked tims ace camera for a couple of the dives so got a further 30 - 40 shots plus a load of videos which will chuck up when tim can be bothered sorting them

Give him something to do at work.:laugh:

All in all a good weekend and pretty good fun.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts